10 years ago today | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

10 years ago today

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Surprised no thread on the fact that 10 years ago JB signed the deal to save our club. The anxiety of that era still haunts me (the potential liquidation plus the footy: Stourbridge away!). And I know we don’t want to keep coming back to the past. But this feels like an apt final time to say ta to all those who saved us and had the nous to bring the current owner onto the Board. From near disaster to a solid case for being the best run club in the EFL in ten years. I’m immensely proud to be an Argyle fan in this moment. And I’ve had ten years with my lad traipsing around the country when it was very nearly taken away from us.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Yep, I remember being parked behind the grandstand while various meetings were going on and asking the BBC's Hamish Marshall "Do we still have a club?" Most desolate place I can remember ever having been.

Reactions: PL15 Green

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
It is a credit to the resolute fans who campaigned vigorously and the club’s management team, including , respectfully, the somewhat reluctant James Brent (due to not being a ‘football man’ as one might have expected) for saving the club and latterly the stepping in of Simon Hallett to ‘give something back’ to the city of Plymouth and its fans.
Football is full of ups and downs (not promotions and relegations)and that is why we love it and our club so much.
COYGs.
Fawlty

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Winding up petition, unpaid staff, unpaid players, unpaid contractors, unpaid suppliers, Keith Todd, Mastpoint, PAST&DT, Paul Stapleton, Dubai - I haven't even been in the sea yet, Peter Ridsdale, £1 buyout, Pasoti, fans, Greenishugh, Kagami, Japan, Irish Consortium, winding up petition again, unpaid heating bill, Peter Reid, Carl Fletcher, Romain Larrieu, waifs, strays, loanees, youth, HMRC, winding up petition yet again, secret High Court date, administration, fans, Brendan Guilfoyle, David Hinchliffe, CVA, Ed Moore, Chris Errington, Preferred Bidder, 10 points deducted, relegation, Greens On Screen, fans, Sue Pollard, donations, buckets, Green Taverners, Nikk, Fan Fests, AFT, Jim Benton Evans, Lee Jameson, Peter Ryan, Brighton, Fans Reunited, Lombard, speeches, Chris Webb, auctions, Ian Newell, Contingency Group, Peter Jones, Graham Clark, John Petrie , Matt Slater, fans, vigil, candles, pizzas, pasties, premature-champagne, PCC, Vivien Pengelly, Jamie Yabsley, Civic Centre, Holiday Inn, Kevin Heaney, Guildhall, Pavilions, Paul Buttivant, Bishop International, Ridsdale to New York, PAFC125, no kit, Shrewsbury – Fletch top corner get in, GASB, PASB, Firoz Kassam, James Brent, Akkeron, 500 signatures in record time, Green Pilgrim, Greg Clarke, Football League, leap of faith, golden share, fans, staff, players, saved!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
It still makes you shudder doesn't it ...... Still makes the blood boil with rage and freeze in terror at the same time. How could it have happened? To think we came so close..... so very, very, very close to losing such an essential part of the community, the city and the region.

We shouldn't forget and I don't think it does any harm at all to keep it in the front of our minds - especially as we look forward to a game like the one coming up - a full house at HP bouncing with anticipation & excitement with new memories and new fans being made. It's so much more than just football. Most people get that...... but some don't.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Funnily enough Webby I were talking about the forthcoming date (today) at the Oxford game.

Someone asked both of us would be 'do it again', in complete unison we both said 'never' with venom.

Whilst every bit of it was exciting, terrifying and unifying, the aftermath simply wasn't worth it. When the nastiness started, it seemed like it would never end. Luckily it did, and our lives are a far better place than it was.

Onwards and upwards just like our Football Club. Time to move on and forget perhaps?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Funnily enough Webby I were talking about the forthcoming date (today) at the Oxford game.

Someone asked both of us would be 'do it again', in complete unison we both said 'never' with venom.

Whilst every bit of it was exciting, terrifying and unifying, the aftermath simply wasn't worth it. When the nastiness started, it seemed like it would never end. Luckily it did, and our lives are a far better place than it was.

Onwards and upwards just like our Football Club. Time to move on and forget perhaps?
Pleased you did though. Good work!

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003

People snooping around my bins and putting stickers about James Brent on them was a weird one.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Winding up petition, unpaid staff, unpaid players, unpaid contractors, unpaid suppliers, Keith Todd, Mastpoint, PAST&DT, Paul Stapleton, Dubai - I haven't even been in the sea yet, Peter Ridsdale, £1 buyout, Pasoti, fans, Greenishugh, Kagami, Japan, Irish Consortium, winding up petition again, unpaid heating bill, Peter Reid, Carl Fletcher, Romain Larrieu, waifs, strays, loanees, youth, HMRC, winding up petition yet again, secret High Court date, administration, fans, Brendan Guilfoyle, David Hinchliffe, CVA, Ed Moore, Chris Errington, Preferred Bidder, 10 points deducted, relegation, Greens On Screen, fans, Sue Pollard, donations, buckets, Green Taverners, Nikk, Fan Fests, AFT, Jim Benton Evans, Lee Jameson, Peter Ryan, Brighton, Fans Reunited, Lombard, speeches, Chris Webb, auctions, Ian Newell, Contingency Group, Peter Jones, Graham Clark, John Petrie , Matt Slater, fans, vigil, candles, pizzas, pasties, premature-champagne, PCC, Vivien Pengelly, Jamie Yabsley, Civic Centre, Holiday Inn, Kevin Heaney, Guildhall, Pavilions, Paul Buttivant, Bishop International, Ridsdale to New York, PAFC125, no kit, Shrewsbury – Fletch top corner get in, GASB, PASB, Firoz Kassam, James Brent, Akkeron, 500 signatures in record time, Green Pilgrim, Greg Clarke, Football League, leap of faith, golden share, fans, staff, players, saved!
That's gotta be sung to Billy Joel's 'we didn't start the fire '. 😄

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
We came out of administration at 12.27pm on 31st October 2011 when the Football League granted the 'new' Plymouth Argyle the 'Golden Share' as a 'leap of faith'. I will raise a glass or two to celebrate that time on Sunday, hopefully with three points in the bag..

For anyone interested, as ever, Greens on Screen has meticulously recorded the detail. Looking through the month of October 2011 brings back quite a few memories.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010

Feb 8, 2005
Just shows the dangers of the risk/reward culture of the footballing world.

If all goes well, then there's certainly riches to be had. But if it doesn't go well, then all could so easily be lost.

If the answer is risk everything, then there has to be a backstop in place for when it all goes t*ts-up, and the proportion of it all going to plan is so slight that administration beckons more often than not.

A plan B has to be in place before risking it all or nothing.