Enjoying the Football | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Enjoying the Football

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Some of the stuff Lameiras was doing yesterday was sublime--the instant control and first time passing. Sure he's not the finished article and doesn't strike a shot on the run as well as he does a dead ball--but boy it's great to watch. Enjoyed the whole game yesterday--we got beat, but we've gone up a notch in quality.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Agree with most on here,but it is still annoying that every player is in the penalty area to defend a corner with no outlet,if the ball is headed/kicked out it comes straight back,also,not often men on posts to defend corners too,and far too many in the goal area getting in each others way.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
rongreenblood":ihwgw678 said:
Agree with most on here,but it is still annoying that every player is in the penalty area to defend a corner with no outlet,if the ball is headed/kicked out it comes straight back,also,not often men on posts to defend corners too,and far too many in the goal area getting in each others way.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but Wigan did the exact same yesterday.

Mar 14, 2009
Credit must go to the manager, but l do wonder what else behind the scenes has changed this more ā€œpositiveā€ play style of Argyle that we have now witnessed for the past few months.

You can look back months ago and say we turned the corner back in November. Before though l believed that l had to see us consistently perform and play better and over the last two months that is what we have done.

Maybe it was Taylor coming back. Maybe it been the introduction of Lameiras to the starting 11. A better discipline certainly has helped. The introduction of Toums to add a presence in midfield. Perhaps the wins we had successively at Home Park has breathed a new confidence into the squad. Could be any one or all of these factors.

And yet something remarkable in the way we play has happened. No longer is the front man isolated. You donā€™t have a gap between Taylor and a CAM of 10-20 yards. You have two or three players around him. No longer is there midfielders sitting deep. You had Toums, and now you see a different Sarcevic breaking into the box. Sure he missing chances but against Bury 3-4 times he, nearly created/and in the end did, get a goal for himself. Doncaster he had two decent chances and against Wigan again he continued this more positive role.

Another massive change is the way we defend. We use to retreat to our own box. Let teams have the ball and pass it around without getting stuck into them. Even when results were getting better in October, early November, we still had this habit of doing this. Yet now we are a different animal. We actually press the opposition. Get into their faces. Sure it means just like Saturday we are more exposed at the back on the counter but it so much more refreshing to see.

Something definitely has changed because even at half time l use to get frustrated how unorganised we were just watching opposition coaches do drills with their players. And now suddenly we are doing this. A positive, constructive training exercise.

I use to bang on about play style. And people mistook that that l wanted to see some kind of Barcelona playing style which wasnā€™t the truth. I just wanted to see a more positive, attack minded game plan where we playing with attacking intensity and didnā€™t just sit there in our own half like a lame duck waiting for the opposition to take the initiative. Now we do that.

Saturday of course was disappointing to lose. Yet how refreshing to actually take on a Wigan side that costs so many more times than ours and really show we can compete at this level. Sure we got done by some naive defending on our part. Yet itā€™s so much better to see Argyle have a go and lose than way than just try to get a goal on the break and sit and defend deep. Sure we still have one or two issues in our team. Unfortunately, Fox, Sarcevic and Ness arenā€™t the quickest and we need more pace and mobility in that centre of the pitch. Yet the players we had at our disposal for Saturday did a good job. I mean this is a Paul Cook side who likes possession of the ball and passing it and dictating play. Yet it was us that did this.

This style and attitude of our football is the best itā€™s been under Adams since he has been here. Whatever has caused this I really donā€™t care and to be honest something, l didnā€™t think l would see under Adams. Sure we had good games. Sure there have been numerous, wonderful goals. Yet we normally for the majority of games played on the back foot and invited pressure onto us. Wave after wave of pressure, wondering if we could keep teams out whilst holding on to a draw or winning position. Even this season we saw this. A perfect example was Shrewsbury. Trying to hold onto something and we clicked into this defensive mindset where we just sat back and let them have the ball and it cost us the win. Now l donā€™t think given that same scenario we would see the team or Adams choose the same path to win the game in that manner.

Yet this fresh attacking mentality and what seems a new approach to the way we defend and attack has been remarkable. Win, lose or draw this is what l want to see from an Argyle team. I just now hope this continues because l feel if we can keep this playing philosophy and add better players to it this transfer window and in the summer then exciting times are ahead.

Oct 31, 2015
Metal_Green_Mickey":3r204c0e said:
Credit must go to the manager, but l do wonder what else behind the scenes has changed this more ā€œpositiveā€ play style of Argyle that we have now witnessed for the past few months.

You can look back months ago and say we turned the corner back in November. Before though l believed that l had to see us consistently perform and play better and over the last two months that is what we have done.

Maybe it was Taylor coming back. Maybe it been the introduction of Lameiras to the starting 11. A better discipline certainly has helped. The introduction of Toums to add a presence in midfield. Perhaps the wins we had successively at Home Park has breathed a new confidence into the squad. Could be any one or all of these factors.

And yet something remarkable in the way we play has happened. No longer is the front man isolated. You donā€™t have a gap between Taylor and a CAM of 10-20 yards. You have two or three players around him. No longer is there midfielders sitting deep. You had Toums, and now you see a different Sarcevic breaking into the box. Sure he missing chances but against Bury 3-4 times he, nearly created/and in the end did, get a goal for himself. Doncaster he had two decent chances and against Wigan again he continued this more positive role.

Another massive change is the way we defend. We use to retreat to our own box. Let teams have the ball and pass it around without getting stuck into them. Even when results were getting better in October, early November, we still had this habit of doing this. Yet now we are a different animal. We actually press the opposition. Get into their faces. Sure it means just like Saturday we are more exposed at the back on the counter but it so much more refreshing to see.

Something definitely has changed because even at half time l use to get frustrated how unorganised we were just watching opposition coaches do drills with their players. And now suddenly we are doing this. A positive, constructive training exercise.

I use to bang on about play style. And people mistook that that l wanted to see some kind of Barcelona playing style which wasnā€™t the truth. I just wanted to see a more positive, attack minded game plan where we playing with attacking intensity and didnā€™t just sit there in our own half like a lame duck waiting for the opposition to take the initiative. Now we do that.

Saturday of course was disappointing to lose. Yet how refreshing to actually take on a Wigan side that costs so many more times than ours and really show we can compete at this level. Sure we got done by some naive defending on our part. Yet itā€™s so much better to see Argyle have a go and lose than way than just try to get a goal on the break and sit and defend deep. Sure we still have one or two issues in our team. Unfortunately, Fox, Sarcevic and Ness arenā€™t the quickest and we need more pace and mobility in that centre of the pitch. Yet the players we had at our disposal for Saturday did a good job. I mean this is a Paul Cook side who likes possession of the ball and passing it and dictating play. Yet it was us that did this.

This style and attitude of our football is the best itā€™s been under Adams since he has been here. Whatever has caused this I really donā€™t care and to be honest something, l didnā€™t think l would see under Adams. Sure we had good games. Sure there have been numerous, wonderful goals. Yet we normally for the majority of games played on the back foot and invited pressure onto us. Wave after wave of pressure, wondering if we could keep teams out whilst holding on to a draw or winning position. Even this season we saw this. A perfect example was Shrewsbury. Trying to hold onto something and we clicked into this defensive mindset where we just sat back and let them have the ball and it cost us the win. Now l donā€™t think given that same scenario we would see the team or Adams choose the same path to win the game in that manner.

Yet this fresh attacking mentality and what seems a new approach to the way we defend and attack has been remarkable. Win, lose or draw this is what l want to see from an Argyle team. I just now hope this continues because l feel if we can keep this playing philosophy and add better players to it this transfer window and in the summer then exciting times are ahead.

Well said mgm this was my stance when it eas going minky and how I see the turn around as well.

Not sure why the sudden turn around in tactics, the high pressing was bery notable on Saturday. At last someone speaks sense :)

dunlop

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Nov 17, 2009
Saturdays game was the first time this season I have seen Argyle attack from the off, (maybe because Wigan chose to turn us around and defended the Devenport end first half) instead of defending a couple corners we had Wigan on the back foot, Taylor. Lameiras and Carey were pushing right up on their defenders during half time I was quite confident of getting a result.

Edited to say Taylor not Fox.

Aug 22, 2006
This all sounds really encouraging. I think we can probably all breathe a little easier though once we've grabbed that second league win without Diagouraga in the team.

Jan 27, 2012
Similar last year when Kennedy and Taylor came in. Lameris is not the same standard as Kennedy but the formation and tactics are similar.

Mar 23, 2008
Agree it's been much more enjoyable, we are playing on the front foot more and simply getting more players going forwards. Lameiras has been a huge part of that and gives more quality going forwards and Toums helped get us up the pitch. Huge credit to Adams though, when we were losing he made us more resolute and defensive to stop the rot and then evolved by making us more forward thinking, very good management and the football is so much better to watch.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":1n2y90n2 said:

Excellent post, Mark. The change is very noticeable and refreshing to watch.
I know that you have been complaining about negative tactics for a long while and I have thought that we could only play according to the resources available.
There have been a combination of changes, as you have identified, that seem to have resulted in this welcome improvement. I have always had faith that DA would turn it around.
Letā€™s just hope that, with this new open style of play, our defence does not get over exposed. That was the only downside of Saturdayā€™s performance.

Mar 10, 2007
earl grey":batgvllu said:
Big fan of Adams (As a package)

Big fan of the football

Only thing is we need a Toums...we were spoilt to get a player like him but now I will feel cheated if we don't have a player of similar quality is going forward...which will be difficult as we haven't had one like that for many years

SPOT ON!!!

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
usually if we lose i moan and groan all the way home, and it ruins the weekend, but this week i genuinely feel optimistic about the rest of the season. We deserved at least a draw on Saturday, i know its all about goals but 58% possession against the league leaders takes some doing. The team looks more confident on the front foot. well done Mr Adams

dunlop

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Nov 17, 2009
Got to guard against being too complacent when loosing when we are playing well, winning playing ugly is what's needed at present.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
gaspargomez":z5z931pu said:
Similar last year when Kennedy and Taylor came in. Lameris is not the same standard as Kennedy but the formation and tactics are similar.
I believe that, potentially, Lameiras is a higher standard than Kennedy.