Hopefully just interest shown in our players (merged) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hopefully just interest shown in our players (merged)

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
samjones":znhtonn9 said:
rsp4":znhtonn9 said:
Remember the fire sale in Hollowards days which drove him to leave for Leicester. That was one hell of a kick in the teeth for the playing squad and some money taken in by the board members (allegedly :) )

I wouldn't want to see that sort of thing again.

Yeah that was disastrous and we were nailed on to get in the playoffs and in with a big shout of a chance in the premiership. Board saw the pound note signs and sold all the top players from underneath us.

Think that will be the closest we will ever get to the promised land

Pretty sure the Ā£Ā£Ā£ signs from reaching the PL would ever so slightly outweigh the Ā£5m(?) we got in transfer fees in that January.

To think they sold out at that moment to make a quick buck is stupid. They either knew that our position wasnt sustainable, or maybe players wanted to leave, or things really were that bad behind the scenes that we needed quick cash which no-one was prepared to stump up.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
djg145":15rl1b2h said:
What IF these rumours on Clubs after our best players is true and actually happens?

We would be right up the creek without a paddle.

Six Clubs interested in Bradley

Bradford looking at Taylor

Two Clubs interested in Carey

Yeah I know it may well be the papers just making up things, but there is no smoke without a fire - fingers crossed they stay as just interests.

Would be hard to lose any of those players.

If my auntie had nads she'd be my uncle. What's the point in worrying about what you can't control?

Mar 23, 2008
Green as Grass":39gozc5i said:
IJN":39gozc5i said:
rsp4":39gozc5i said:
Remember the fire sale in Hollowards days which drove him to leave for Leicester. That was one hell of a kick in the teeth for the playing squad and some money taken in by the board members (allegedly :) )

Holloway himself made money from that.
On what transfers did he make money ? I presume there was a clause in his contract giving him a percentage of the transfer fee/profit on players sold.
SEB is one that springs to mind, perhaps Halmosi also? Or was he sold after he left? That said i would imagine most managers would have a clause/bonus to balance the books generally and then get a percentage of any profit over that.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
If weā€™re only sending ā€œunwantedā€ players out on loans and we (assuming) still have some input into their wage itā€™s not helping us budget to recruit players we need.

How many players has Adams signed since last Januaryā€™s window that have a) never threatened a first team place and b) was wasteful and unnecessary?

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
landons forehead":3ddemxxp said:
djg145":3ddemxxp said:
What IF these rumours on Clubs after our best players is true and actually happens?

We would be right up the creek without a paddle.

Six Clubs interested in Bradley

Bradford looking at Taylor

Two Clubs interested in Carey

Yeah I know it may well be the papers just making up things, but there is no smoke without a fire - fingers crossed they stay as just interests.

Would be hard to lose any of those players.

If my auntie had nads she'd be my uncle. What's the point in worrying about what you can't control?

Exactly. We could be eyeing up other teams players at the same time...

Green as Grass

ā™£ļø North Devon Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Deacster":36fkck6o said:
Green as Grass":36fkck6o said:
IJN":36fkck6o said:
rsp4":36fkck6o said:

Holloway himself made money from that.
On what transfers did he make money ? I presume there was a clause in his contract giving him a percentage of the transfer fee/profit on players sold.
SEB is one that springs to mind, perhaps Halmosi also? Or was he sold after he left? That said i would imagine most managers would have a clause/bonus to balance the books generally and then get a percentage of any profit over that.
Both players left after Holloway had gone to Leicester in November 2007. SEB went to Wolves in January 2008. The storey I heard was that Holloway had tipped off Wolves about the Ā£1.5M buy out clause in SEB's contract. Halmosi saw out the 2007-08 season with us but left for Hull who had just been promoted via the play offs to the Premiership in the summer of 2008. I remember speaking to him at the end of season dinner and he indicated to me that he had played his last game for Argyle.
So the question is would Holloway have got money from these deals after walking out on his contract with Argyle or would he have been rewarded by Wolves for the tip off ?

Mar 10, 2007
Adam_R":imlsu0dq said:
samjones":imlsu0dq said:
rsp4":imlsu0dq said:

Yeah that was disastrous and we were nailed on to get in the playoffs and in with a big shout of a chance in the premiership. Board saw the pound note signs and sold all the top players from underneath us.

Think that will be the closest we will ever get to the promised land

Pretty sure the Ā£Ā£Ā£ signs from reaching the PL would ever so slightly outweigh the Ā£5m(?) we got in transfer fees in that January.

To think they sold out at that moment to make a quick buck is stupid. They either knew that our position wasnt sustainable, or maybe players wanted to leave, or things really were that bad behind the scenes that we needed quick cash which no-one was prepared to stump up.

Don't want to tempt fate, but the last time I felt as good about an Argyle performance at Home Park as I did after Bury, was against Norwich just before Holloway left.