Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay?

Feb 23, 2022
He's pointing out there is another side to Edinburgh beyond the Royal Mile, the Castle and Rose Street!!
Zackly. Thank-you.
I’d have replied earlier, but I was listening to The Proclaimers!

Btw, plenty folk in/from or around Plymouth who are up their holes…. 😆

Reactions: 999mattyg

ELG

Sep 14, 2021
I couldn't hate Exeter, as they've given me so much joy watching their angry little faces when Ennis celebrated in front of them for Butcher/Agent Aimson's goal.

Reactions: green5

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Exeter is the County town of Devon, as it has a Cathedral, although Plymouth has a far richer past.

I believe the rivalry stems from their envy of our heritage, our port, our city and of our club. However they do have the advantage of the motorway, of their airport and of the Exeter Chiefs.
Plymouth also has a Cathedral. 🤔
Exeter probably has the longer recorded history and in 49 AD its Celtic name was recorded as Kaerpenhuelgoit, meaning 'town on the hill under the high wood' and the Romans named it Is a Isca Dumnoniorum, "Watertown of the Dumnonii". Isca was also known to the British as Caer Uisc

All downhill in recent times though.

Reactions: 999mattyg

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
I must say that I love beating them. We seem to live in their heads. I think it’s more important to them. I certainly don’t hate them. It’s a proper, fan owned, football club and a very pleasant stadium and lovely playing surface.
I think we manufacture rivalry because we’re a one club city. Saying that, the match at HP, in our promotion season, was a cracking game.

Jan 5, 2019
Just reading through all the comments, although a bit late to the party, I must say an interesting read & In all honesty agree with such posts in the forum as German Shepard's, I have the up most respect for all Devon side's & am a proud Devonian, to see no hatred with my fellow man, respect Exeter for how they run their club & academy, Torquay for rallying around their club to save it like us & the Grecians have done this millennia, as well as all the other none league Devon side's Tiverton Tavistock Barnstaple Bideford Exmouth Buckland Ivybridge the lot, Plymouth born with time spent living all over god's county in Ivybridge Exeter & Dalwood near Honiton, nothing make's me prouder home away or Wembley & seeing a sea of Saint Petroc's flag's proudly aloft, I'd love nothing more then to one day see Premier League Plymouth Championship Exeter League One Torquay & League Two Barnstaple, an impossible scenario I know but a team to be proud for in all corners North East South West would be outstanding, I say long live the ceremonial county of Devon (the only county of Devon) bin ghastly Unitary Authorities & reinstate Plymouth & Torbay into God's County Council, AUXILIO DIVINO!

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
There’s only a small percentage of Argyle fans who ‘hate’ Exeter. Can’t say the same for them lot up the road though. They are totally obsessed with us.
I have a good mate from Exeter. One Saturday earlier this season his company did a sponsor thing at an Exeter home game. I was invited along. Had a meal and a few beers in the fans lounge. (I met John Hore, which was great). Whilst the game was going on, I kid you not, the big bank must have sang an anti Argyle song once every 8 to 10 minutes. They were playing Barnsley for crying out loud.
I have been to 16 Argyle home games this season. I honestly do not remember one single song was sung about Exeter. Says it all really.

Reactions: Guiri Green
Mar 30, 2024
I must say that I love beating them. We seem to live in their heads. I think it’s more important to them. I certainly don’t hate them. It’s a proper, fan owned, football club and a very pleasant stadium and lovely playing surface.
I think we manufacture rivalry because we’re a one club city. Saying that, the match at HP, in our promotion season, was a cracking game.
Not a very big or relevant one though.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
I dont hate them at all. More like a friendly banter rivalry.
That said i dont look that far down the football league so i have no idea who or what they are anymore.

As for Torquay, its more looking after the teams in trouble. Tin hat time but id even donate to help Exeter if they were in serious financial trouble.

Apr 20, 2008
Exmouth
At the end of the day they’re both north of Home Park so they are automatically grouped with every other professional club in the UK “GRIM NORTHERN 5HIT HOLES” 😜