Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 60 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Yep, Tony Mowbray was also my preference before Foster was appointed.
Surely Mowbray would never have been a realistic appointment. He has never played for or managed a team within 200 miles or nearly four hours of Plymouth during his lengthy career and salary wise I'm sure would have been out of our range?
I'm sure those in charge are well down the route of short listing suitable and attainable targets but which division we are in will presumably have a bearing on who might be willing to come to Argyle and how much we can pay them.
I like to think an announcement will be made quite quickly once the season is over.

Jul 12, 2016
No matter who the new manager / head coach is, he has an unenviable task ahead of him. Our squad needs a major overhaul without the budget to fix it and despite a highly supportive chairman we will be extremely fortunate to find a candidate that fits our criteria. Somebody personable with managerial experience prepared to play entertaining ,attacking football on a shoestring and based in Devon.

Reactions: Said old Green

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Don't envy SH & his trusted team
Had their fingers well & truly burnt after the 87 day tenure
Do they conduct the end of season post mortem before they decide on the strategy on recruiting the next head coach/manager
Do they decide Nance & Neil decide the retained list
A close season of comings & goings is guaranteed

Dec 18, 2023
I was listening to Nigel Pearson talking on the No Tippy Tappy Podcast yesterday.
He was their special guest.
He said he thinks he his getting back to full fitness both physically and neurologically.
However, he clearly stated he will be returning to football soon, but as a Manager.
"I am not a Head Coach, I am a Football Manager. I can coach with the best of them but I am a Manager. There seems to be this trend of employing young Head Coaches, well I am a bit older and a Manager. But I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities available to me fairly quickly."

So, If we are going Head Coach route we can cross Nigel off the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul green14

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm sure he has been suggested already but Rohl at Wednesday has done an amazing job. Should they fall short and get relegated would he want to stay with them in league one? They have financial issues too don't they? He surely wouldn't be out of our league in terms of possibility?!? Better ownership and here and he may feel he has proved himself in the championship to not go lower.

He would. His stock is unbelievably high given how he turned around Wednesday, even if they do go down.

Jan 16, 2024
I’m a bit confused by the clamour from some for Ruben Selles, I don’t deny he’s doing an OK job at Reading under trying circumstances, but does being involved in a L1 relegation battle qualify him for a Championship gig? If we’re going to poach a manager I’d prefer us to poach someone fighting at the top end of the league they’re in.
I agree on your point on someone who is fighting for promotion. That said though if we are in the Championship next season it would be great to have a head coach who has experience of top and bottom of Championship or League 1. As that resilence and experience will probably be needed.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
I was listening to Nigel Pearson talking on the No Tippy Tappy Podcast yesterday.
He was their special guest.
He said he thinks he his getting back to full fitness both physically and neurologically.
However, he clearly stated he will be returning to football soon, but as a Manager.
"I am not a Head Coach, I am a Football Manager. I can coach with the best of them but I am a Manager. There seems to be this trend of employing young Head Coaches, well I am a bit older and a Manager. But I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities available to me fairly quickly."

So, If we are going Head Coach route we can cross Nigel off the list.
I think he would be a good appointment, but I fear I would only be able to hear him speaking the way he does on Athletico Mince.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

Melbourne Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jul 12, 2005
No matter who the new manager / head coach is, he has an unenviable task ahead of him. Our squad needs a major overhaul without the budget to fix it and despite a highly supportive chairman we will be extremely fortunate to find a candidate that fits our criteria. Somebody personable with managerial experience prepared to play entertaining ,attacking football on a shoestring and based in Devon.
May as well just give up now then?

May 18, 2022
How about the 2 managers from Norway n Sweden that being touted around .. yes there foreign. But they could bring different types of players to the squad and there contacts also .. so why not take a gamble Mr hallett instead of a scoucer and make ur decision from ur own mind and not being influenced by others