Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 114 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who would you like as the new manager?

• Anthony Barry

Votes: 35 9.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Paul Cook

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Nathan Jones

• Leighton Baines

• Gareth Ainsworth

• Grant McCann

• Gary Rowett

• Brian Barry-Murphy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pete Wild

• Mike Williamson

• Michael Beale

• Mark Warburton

• Lee Johnson

• Graeme Murty

• Gary Bowyer

• Frank Lampard

• Dean Holden

• Dave Challinor

• Michael Duff

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Mark Bonner

• Damien Duff

• Cameron Toshack

• Stephen Bradley

• Simon Grayson

• Karl Robinson

• Andrew Crofts

• Justin Cochrane

• Luke Garrard

• Nathan Rooney

• Jonathan Woodgate

• Paul Hurst

• Ritchie Wellens

• Michael Skubala

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 274 70.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
I think Liam Rosenior has become an overwhleming favourite to become Argyle's next Head Coach not so much for what he has achieved but the person he is and how he would fit into the 'One Argyle' approach that so underpins our club from top to bottom. Would we be persuaded by someone who managed only 12 times in League One before appointing him as your manager in the Championship - probably not. Rosenior's unique attachment to Hull City persuded the club to take the risk on him. Risk is what it was and he achieved an improvement, if not always the style of play, that would have satisfied most owners.

When you look at taking risks on appointing Head Coaches who have not managed before the top three divisons have been won by clubs who took the risk their appointment of a Head Coach - Arteta, Maresco (apart from six months) and Mousinho. Then you add McKenna who achieved back to back promotions into the Premiership. Rohl achieved miracles in his first managerial job. Neil and Nance had only a handful games of Championship managerial experience in securing Argyle's survival.

Given the 'Foster experience' it is inevitable that attenion is drawn to the requirement to appoint someone with experience of managing in the Championship. Inevitably that will mean appointing someone who has failed at a Championship club unless we pay compensation for someone in a current job who hasn't. We could go for up and coming League One / Two managers on the basis that they have managed and not been an assistant coach. Would any of them have the skills to manage in the second tier?

The irony is that Ian Foster did have managerial experience. He got a first tier club in Ireland to their Cup Final and into Europe over 96 games. Sometimes managerial experience is not an absolute prequisite. Foster went wrong horribly because he tipped upside down the 'One Argyle' formula and lack the communication and motivationsl skills to implement his adverse ideas.

Change offers the temptation is often to react in an opposite direction. The clamour of some undermines that approach when in truth the best person for the job is the one that fits 'One Argyle' and not someone who wants to mould it into something else. That may mean taking a risk on someone with no managerial experience. I think the key is to ensure the appointment comes with an experienced No.2. Rohl notably appointed Chris Powell and Schuey appointed Keith Downing.

Liam Rosenior remains our best fit. If he is understandably tempted elsewhere we should not shut our eyes to the best of coaches even if they have no managerial experience. That is unless we are prepared to pay to take someone else from a club - something that Simon understandably seems reluctant to do.
Good summary, couple of points, I don't think Schuey appointed KD, I think that came from the club, and maybe a personal shout from ND, which ultimately it looks a little like we did this year, however the big difference was that Schuey had the humility to accept the help and early on. IF seemed like he would go the whole season 'assessing'! So agree, an established team or people (like Schuey did with Hughes) ready to move into that role, is essential.

2nd point, have you awarded the premier league to Arsenal there?😀

Reactions: Melbourne Green

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Anthony Barry ticks the box for those that like a bit of passion on the touchline, he was getting very agitated in last night's Real-Bayern game :ROFLMAO:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Hull didn't play defensive football in either game against us. And their stats do not reflect that of a defensive team either
Part of the reason we did so well in both games was that our press was successful because they play very slowly out from the back.

Can anyone name me another team who is poor when pressed high up the pitch and who played very slowly out from the back under Foster.

Jul 28, 2020
Do we have any examples of novice coaches / managers appointed full time by a championship club ( or first division as it was previously called) - ever taking their new clubs to a mid- table ( or higher than mid- table ) finish ??

Joe Edwards and ian foster didnt suceed this season - but my question is : has any 'first timer' ever achieved this ??

Jan 7, 2016
Kernow
Do we have any examples of novice coaches / managers appointed full time by a championship club ( or first division as it was previously called) - ever taking their new clubs to a mid- table ( or higher than mid- table ) finish ??

Joe Edwards and ian foster didnt suceed this season - but my question is : has any 'first timer' ever achieved this ??
Ummm... Enzo. Maybe he doesn't count.

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012

Danny Rohl effectively did that, based on where he started with Wednesday.

Nov 18, 2011

Michael Carrick last season if you don't count his 3 games in charge as caretaker at Man U.

Enzo Maresca as mentioned above although he was given the best team in the league.

Jul 28, 2020
Thanks for replies guys

At Argyle there are only foster, shilton, kemp and mariner, I can think of ( novice managers appointed whilst the club was in the championship or equivalent)- with two of those appointments culminating in relegation.

Foster possibly would have got us relegated, as well ( who knows)

Kempy I liked a lot, for some reason ( I think that was because of his personal qualities) but the football was dire - even though he performed a minor miracle by keeping us up- just.....

Last edited:

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Part of the reason we did so well in both games was that our press was successful because they play very slowly out from the back.

Can anyone name me another team who is poor when pressed high up the pitch and who played very slowly out from the back under Foster.
Playing slowly is not defensive tho IMO.

Reactions: Carlo