Whats the point? (shots on target) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Whats the point? (shots on target)

Feb 23, 2008
All three of Blackpool's goals came from outside the area tonight. Walsall's eventual winner was from outside the box. Why are we never having a crack from outside, why do we always shift it wide so we can cross to nobody and let the opposition come at us on the break? We very rarely work the keeper and also never seem to score lucky goals like their opener tonight.

With some of the own goals, refereeing decisions and deflections that are going against us at the moment we are obviously down on our luck but why the tactical inflexibility?

The majority of home games this season and last could almost have a brief synopsis template, just change the team name, player scored and ref that had a shocker. The pattern of incidents, tactics and tactical changes, opposition behaviour, time-wasting and naivety in the games are almost literally the same week in, week out.

We shouldn't be having our arses handed to us by teams like we are at home week in, week out. The only teams we beat are the ones who come to play football, if they're physical and use the dark arts we very rarely come out on top.

Is it possible that DA's recruitment policy of taking on players that he thinks will fit in with the current bunch means we're too nice or naive as a team?

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Even when we do shoot its shocking. How many times do our shots sail over the bar ? On the way to the ground I was going on to anyone who would listen that due to the conditions being so wet, that we should belt the ball low and hard along or into the ground, because the ball comes off the ground faster than it leaves your foot. Its not rocket science, get over the ball, and keep your head down, even Foxy who hits a nice ball always puts his shots over the bar. Blackpool managed it 3 times low and hard, skimmed over the ground, and past Luke before he could react. I know Argyle have goal keeper, and defensive coaches, but who is coaching the strikers ?

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
SurreyGreen":2vgykr8d said:
argobenz":2vgykr8d said:
What's the point in having pre game shooting practice when they aren't trying?

I deliberately made a point of watching the players doing the one two shot drills before the game. 26 goes where they hit the ball then take a return pass to finish with a shot on goal.

Stats:
26 attempts
14 off target
10 saved (Quite easily)
2 goals

Summary:
They are either not trying (If so what's the point?)
Or they are crap!

Maybe the coaching needs to be looked at?
Is that true? That is quite terrible :lol:

Yes unfortunately, and that's only the ones I caught, I made a point of counting the rest as none of the first half a dozen came close. It was a bit better the following game but still only 1 in 3 from 10 yards is still crap.

Jul 12, 2016
Not sure if he would be interested or avaoiilable but why not ask Tommy Tynan to coach our so called strikers.The last great natural goalscorer to play for us.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
oldage":2uss47ir said:
Not sure if he would be interested or avaoiilable but why not ask Tommy Tynan to coach our so called strikers.The last great natural goalscorer to play for us.

great natural goalscorer

And therein lies the problem, how do you coach something which personally comes naturally, to those who obviously don't have the same ability.

It's a bit like George Best trying to teach modern wingers, he'd probably be stunned by the poor standard. Playing on perfect pitches with beach balls and slippers he'd be amazed that they still can't dribble, that they're also afraid to shoot and are typically crap at crossing a ball.

There are of course those who can, but certainly there are plenty who fall into this mode.

Jul 13, 2006
argobenz":2djwejkg said:
SurreyGreen":2djwejkg said:
argobenz":2djwejkg said:
What's the point in having pre game shooting practice when they aren't trying?

I deliberately made a point of watching the players doing the one two shot drills before the game. 26 goes where they hit the ball then take a return pass to finish with a shot on goal.

Stats:
26 attempts
14 off target
10 saved (Quite easily)
2 goals

Summary:
They are either not trying (If so what's the point?)
Or they are crap!

Maybe the coaching needs to be looked at?
Is that true? That is quite terrible :lol:

Yes unfortunately, and that's only the ones I caught, I made a point of counting the rest as none of the first half a dozen came close. It was a bit better the following game but still only 1 in 3 from 10 yards is still crap.
I didn't see you catch any.

Apr 30, 2017
Argyle Shots on Target - 27
Opponents Shots on Target - 102

This is a stat 9 League Games, not including cup competitions

Oct 31, 2015
Pilgrim28":56sri6ub said:

Well thats pathetic. 3 shots on target per game :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Shots on target is one of the few stats that I take notice of. When you record none in a home game it's desperate stuff.

Sep 6, 2006
Pilgrim28":2liej6s1 said:

Sounds like we are over-performing then. Should be losing 4.1 every game :facepalm: