Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 229 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
That's a good point, if we missed earlier this season it didn't matter because another chance would come along soon enough.
In Schumacher's last five games as manager (two defeats, a draw and two wins) we created an incredible 82 attempts on goal but we only scored five goals. Against Leicester we had 15 shots, against QPR with 10 men from the 25th minute we created 12 chances, against Rotherham we had an incredible 25 attempts on goal.
It could be argued that we were poor finishers.
Now we simply have to score from the rare chances we create. Our previously poor finishers now have to score from limited chances.
The 15 shots at Leicester is perhaps the best illustration of the problem we face. We line up and play in a manner that allows us to have 15 shots - but we concede 4 goals and get no points.

Mar 23, 2008
l think to be honest it’s true we haven’t shown enough imagination or flexibility under Foster. Even go as far to say adaptability to cope with the game situation as it unfolds.

However, if you’re going to be a front foot team you need people who can pass the ball well when the opposition have 10 behind the ball. You also need goals in your team, especially from wing backs & midfielders.

The narrative is that’s it’s Foster’s negativity but when l look at that squad l think it’s simply the a lack of depth in the squad. When Argyle play well, Whittaker & Hardie are on the score sheet. Yet when those two have bad games it seems to blunt us very badly.

I just think the problem lies with the manager & the quality of the squad. For example, now we lost Gyabi l just don’t see that energy & physicality in the squad that replaces him.
I think that's a fair point, Foster hasn't shown any tactical fair but there are also recruitment issues. We lack numbers in forward positions and in reality are a striker and a No.10 short of what is required.
That said, he's played one formation for circa 98% of the matches he's managed so how does he know this formula is the best for our squad? Or is it hos only formula our squad must mould into?
I think there's an argument another formation would get Hardie and Morgs closer together to create and receive more chances, currently Hardie is too isolated and not being correctly utilised and Morgs man marked with little freedom.

Reactions: Paul green14
Sep 6, 2006
Disagree that we were just fortunate and more clinical under Schuey. The stats back up that we created considerably more chances, which gave our attackers the opportunities to score.

Players that score 1 in 1 chances don't exist. Players that get closer to that come at a premium, we haven't got that level of budget so we need to ensure we create more opportunities in order to have a chance of goals.

We did that pretty successfully until January, when the tactical switch put emphasis on cutting out the defensive mishaps. And there has been a tactical change in our approach that has stifled our attack, write that off to Azaz if you wish, but let's be honest Schuey would have got more from Devine than Foster would have got from Azaz.

That said, the international break of moping is over. Schuey has gone and Foster is here to stay irrespective of our personal views. Time to get behind the lads and hope for the best that his coaching pedigree, which can't really be doubted, can conjure up a recovery of performances and he proves a lot of us wrong that he is the man capable of leading this squad.
Whic h stats show we created considerably more chances? My understanding was we considerably outperformed xg.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Lancastergreen

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’d be interested to see that tested.

You know me mate, give a mic at Home Park and I’ll have the Green Army singing backing vocals and ‘… ride sally ride!’ on my rendition of Mustang Sally!!

Mar 16, 2009
London
That's a good point, if we missed earlier this season it didn't matter because another chance would come along soon enough.
In Schumacher's last five games as manager (two defeats, a draw and two wins) we created an incredible 82 attempts on goal but we only scored five goals. Against Leicester we had 15 shots, against QPR with 10 men from the 25th minute we created 12 chances, against Rotherham we had an incredible 25 attempts on goal.
It could be argued that we were poor finishers.
Now we simply have to score from the rare chances we create. Our previously poor finishers now have to score from limited chances.

… and against Middlesborough away we created an incredible 22 chances, and won convincingly, keeping a clean sheet at the same time.

That was under Foster, but it’s worthy of mention, for balance.

Reactions: UptheTamar

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
and under Foster 1 win in 9 for extra balance

Mar 16, 2009
London
and under Foster 1 win in 9 for extra balance

He's had 12 league games in charge, not 9.

Yes, 50% of those have been defeats (6 out of 12). Not great

Schumacher on the other hand lost 45% of his (10 out of 22). Also not great.

However, Schumacher had Azaz, Cundle, KKH, a full backroom staff, a full pre-season on the training ground, a full transfer budget, early season momentum from last season, no upheaval to navigate, full knowledge of the squad's strengths and weaknesses and a supportive fan base.

All luxuries not afforded Foster. Yet an almost identical ratio of defeats.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
We've hired a learner? Oh gosh.
That is my point. Is it Foster's 'fault'? A highly qualified coach gets given the opportunity to sit in the Big Boys Chair, with a well run and ambitious football club who are playing in the Championship. Why on earth would he turn it down?

And your flippant remark - have you ever had a promotion into a senior role where you made mistakes, needed a helping hand and some guidance through difficult times? If you have, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

What ever has happened in his previous matches is irrelevant right now. This football club needs our support irrespective of who is the manager. I worry that supporters of this football club will have a part in determining where we play next season - whinge and moan and we'll be in L1 I fear.

Reactions: StrictlyGreen