Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 205 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
I do feel if we don't get behind the team and try not to create a toxic atmosphere we have a better chance of surviving. I don't like IF football, I don't like his style etc.

We have been blessed with attractive front foot football and this is far from it. But he jumped ship and took the staff with him .

However if we start turning against the club I can't see how we can survive this.

Home park was a fortress when we all stick together, I get people want to vent there disapproval, but I can't see how it's going to help for the few games we got left. Just my opinion. I don't see IF going anytime soon, so we have to get behind the boys if we want to see championship football next season.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017
Absolutely agree. However......
I know i am old and can remember the days when not every tackle was a foul and not every foul is a yellow card but I don't really get the emphasis on statistics ( other than it makes a lot of people a lot of money) . To me the only statistic that matters is scoring more goals that the opposition . This is more likely to happen if you have the ball and numbers of players in the opposition final third. Inverted full backs and transitioning through the thirds mean nothing to me . What I do see is us playing the ball around( uncomfortably) our back 3/4/5 and holding my breath every time. We pass the ball to midfielders who are normally facing our goal and with 1 or 2 opposing players right on their back. What are they supposed to do with the ball.
We might just have to abandon some of our principals for 8 games , play more of a long ball game and get more people higher up the pitch and putting the opposing defence under pressure.

I will always support Agyle through thick and thin. and I don't believe in personal insults against the coach, my only
worry is his tactics and I feel that we will lose the likes of
Whitticker and Mumba who chose to come here for the free
flowing football which allowed them to be at their best and
play with smiles on their faces and excite the fans. sadly that
has all disappeared.

Jul 28, 2020
I will always support Agyle through thick and thin. and I don't believe in personal insults against the coach, my only
worry is his tactics and I feel that we will lose the likes of
Whitticker and Mumba who chose to come here for the free
flowing football which allowed them to be at their best and
play with smiles on their faces and excite the fans. sadly that
has all disappeared.
Seems like a re-run of the 1989-1990season, when Argyle sacked ken brown and appointed david Kemp ( with Argyle eventually finishing in 16th place)

This time round Shuey 'sacked' Argyle, so-to-speak, and the club have appointed ian foster, who inspite of his england credentials, appears to be very much a disciple of Kemp's tactics

Not that I have anything against Kemp- because I think he did a great job, considering the very meager resources he had at his disposal

But the statement from our chairman about continuity and continuing our footballing philosophies is an anomaly...and you get the sense that things must have changed since he said that...but at who's behest is not clear

There is a vacuum of information from the club at this time

Your right to say that the change in style will probably lead to players leaving because the two styles of football are so dissimilar ..all very strange

I'm left wondering where the modern day equivalents of robbie turner, andy morrison and dwight Marshall are ? And why we never signed these types of players in january ( knowing that the style of play would be changing) ??

Feb 8, 2005
Seems like a re-run of the 1989-1990season, when Argyle sacked ken brown and appointed david Kemp ( with Argyle eventually finishing in 16th place)

This time round Shuey 'sacked' Argyle, so-to-speak, and the club have appointed ian foster, who inspite of his england credentials, appears to be very much a disciple of Kemp's tactics

Not that I have anything against Kemp- because I think he did a great job, considering the very meager resources he had at his disposal

But the statement from our chairman about continuity and continuing our footballing philosophies is an anomaly...and you get the sense that things must have changed since he said that...but at who's behest is not clear

Your right to say that the change in style will probably lead to players leaving because the two styles of football are so dissimilar ..all very strange

I'm left wondering where the modern day equivalents of robbie turner, andy morrison and dwight Marshall are ? And why we never signed these types of players in january ( knowing that the style of play would be changing) ??
I doubt that any strikers of that ilk were available, and certainly not on loan, which was all we could have afforded.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Not sure if this thread has been done to death now, it’s been a week since the Preston game so clearly IF is staying put.

Time for us all to unite and get behind the team and the manager until the end of the season I reckon.

They’ll need us all.
Done to death for now but just because there is an international break doesn't mean the problem has been resolved.
Just going to the Parkway game, a lot of people were talking about Foster and style of football etc, it doesn't just stop.

Reactions: MustardEagle
Nov 25, 2011
Absolutely agree. However......
I know i am old and can remember the days when not every tackle was a foul and not every foul is a yellow card but I don't really get the emphasis on statistics ( other than it makes a lot of people a lot of money) . To me the only statistic that matters is scoring more goals that the opposition . This is more likely to happen if you have the ball and numbers of players in the opposition final third. Inverted full backs and transitioning through the thirds mean nothing to me . What I do see is us playing the ball around( uncomfortably) our back 3/4/5 and holding my breath every time. We pass the ball to midfielders who are normally facing our goal and with 1 or 2 opposing players right on their back. What are they supposed to do with the ball.
We might just have to abandon some of our principals for 8 games , play more of a long ball game and get more people higher up the pitch and putting the opposing defence under pressure.
But we keep playing long balls up towards Hardie as it is and they just come back at us.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY

Because S S dumped on Argyle by going north to Stoke and dragging loan players with him, along with owner clubs withdrawing loanees from Argyle, the Club found themselves in an invidious position up against an approaching timetable. The eventual choice of I F as Manager was unfortunate in that his recent knowledge of potential player replacements were limited first, by financial constraint, and to those he had managed / coached at England Youth level. At the moment they do not appear to have quite equalled the qualities of those Argyle lost. To my mind it is as simple and as difficult as that. We have to live with it until the beginning of May.

Sep 6, 2006
Because S S dumped on Argyle by going north to Stoke and dragging loan players with him, along with owner clubs withdrawing loanees from Argyle, the Club found themselves in an invidious position up against an approaching timetable. The eventual choice of I F as Manager was unfortunate in that his recent knowledge of potential player replacements were limited first, by financial constraint, and to those he had managed / coached at England Youth level. At the moment they do not appear to have quite equalled the qualities of those Argyle lost. To my mind it is as simple and as difficult as that. We have to live with it until the beginning of May.
Fair point re IF. BUT we do have a recruitment/scouting/data analysis team we are told. So what have they been doing?

Reactions: Green gino
Jul 12, 2016
Fair point re IF. BUT we do have a recruitment/scouting/data analysis team we are told. So what have they been doing?
Agreed. It seems to suggest that the targets identified were not realistic in the first place and therefore what is the point? Perhaps this is the root of the problem .The whole club is obsessed with data driven methods of recruitment and management. It obviously has it’s place but SH is used to dealing with facts and figures and man management is far more complex and needs a different skill set. You might have all the ingredients to make a perfect cake but if it’s not made in the right way and it doesn’t taste good nobody wants it.

Mar 22, 2022
Not sure if this thread has been done to death now, it’s been a week since the Preston game so clearly IF is staying put.

Time for us all to unite and get behind the team and the manager until the end of the season I reckon.

They’ll need us all.
I was about to post something similar , this was the perfect time to seek a new manager and now it’s too late . I am disappointed as many are with the style of play now , at first it was keeping it tight and not leaking goals then hit them on the counter , but that’s gone now , we are to slow now and lose the ball too easily the times of Morgan running at people with pace has gone , mumba seems to have been lost in his plans and right now imho Miller is our only player who looks like he can create a chance for us .

So IF is staying and I just hope we get the 10 or so points we need to stay up , let’s get behind the boys and keep them fingers crossed 💚

Reactions: Deacster
Sep 6, 2006
I was about to post something similar , this was the perfect time to seek a new manager and now it’s too late . I am disappointed as many are with the style of play now , at first it was keeping it tight and not leaking goals then hit them on the counter , but that’s gone now , we are to slow now and lose the ball too easily the times of Morgan running at people with pace has gone , mumba seems to have been lost in his plans and right now imho Miller is our only player who looks like he can create a chance for us .

So IF is staying and I just hope we get the 10 or so points we need to stay up , let’s get behind the boys and keep them fingers crossed 💚
'Perfect time to seek a new manager'. With 6 weeks of the season left? (Insult removed. Admin)

Last edited by a moderator:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Clive you've had six months off, and you've been allowed back on under the double up rule.

I have no idea what you've just said to have it removed but please don't slip back into your old style.

The next ban you will receive is 12 months, and so on, so please please stop constantly insulting posters on here.