The Competitiveness of League One | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Competitiveness of League One

Sep 6, 2006
Rob_GT4":b8r21ick said:
Balham_Green":b8r21ick said:
Rob_GT4":b8r21ick said:
I agree with the OP for the most part, I've been surprised by the quality some of the 'lesser' teams have got let alone the teams towards the top end (Blackburn have some ridiculous players for this level). I would go so far as to say that actually our squads is one of the weakest I've seen so far and is pretty much still just a good league 2 squad, but luckily we've got Derek Adams who will no doubt get the most out of them.

So you have assessed all the squads have you? You have an in depth knowledge of all lower league players? I dont think you know what you are talking about.

Excuse me?

I may not be an expert but I'd say I have a pretty good grasp yes, it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about.

Anybody reasonably savvy that also goes on general league 1 forums with numerous fans from all clubs commenting would know and have a much better idea of the bigger picture than the insular view you get from a forum focussed on one club like this.

None of us know for sure how we well we'll make the step up, but I stand by everything that I've said and I absolutely believe Derek Adams will need to overachieve with this squad.

So you get you 'facts' from other fans forums? :facepalm: Who's signed Messi then?

Jul 29, 2010
It is too simplistic to just look at signings in and signings out across a division and make a wild stab at where everyone will end up. There are too many other factors in play.

Notwithstanding we don't know where (as a baseline for comprison) our team of last season would've ended had it been in L1, that team has changed anyway, as have all the others. Dynamite players at one club can be rubbish in anothers system and vica versa. Then there are managerial changes to consider, changes in bonus structure that might cause a squad to be less incentivised, injuries to key players, players returning from long term injury, formation changes to accommodate new players, bigger or smaller squads causing squad dynamic differences.

It is impossible to say beyond vague, thus pretty meaningless, assumptions where the pecking order sits. Betting is equally meaningless as odds are driven by pounds bet and not merit.

It is boring I know but they only way to assess how things are going to pan out is the tried and tested 'wait 10-15 games' method. Even then a slow starter (like we've been under DA) or a sprint out the blocks but run out of puff team can emerge.

It is the close season so these debates will happen but all clubs have shuffled the deck and no-one knows how the cards will fall.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
X Isle":3ujjl1lx said:
It is too simplistic to just look at signings in and signings out across a division and make a wild stab at where everyone will end up. There are too many other factors in play.

Notwithstanding we don't know where (as a baseline for comprison) our team of last season would've ended had it been in L1, that team has changed anyway, as have all the others. Dynamite players at one club can be rubbish in anothers system and vica versa. Then there are managerial changes to consider, changes in bonus structure that might cause a squad to be less incentivised, injuries to key players, players returning from long term injury, formation changes to accommodate new players, bigger or smaller squads causing squad dynamic differences.

It is impossible to say beyond vague, thus pretty meaningless, assumptions where the pecking order sits. Betting is equally meaningless as odds are driven by pounds bet and not merit.

It is boring I know but they only way to assess how things are going to pan out is the tried and tested 'wait 10-15 games' method. Even then a slow starter (like we've been under DA) or a sprint out the blocks but run out of puff team can emerge.

It is the close season so these debates will happen but all clubs have shuffled the deck and no-one knows how the cards will fall.

No place for reasoning here now Xy, BG has joined the party, shot everyone down and made his view known!!

Jul 29, 2010
There's always a place for reason Adam...even with Mr. Grumpy pants :lol:

His table manners might need some serious work but he's actually eating a similar meal to mine...it isn't possible to account for all the variables and make firm conclusions. The proof will only be in the pudding...so hopefully by the dessert course BG will be using his cutlery and not his fingers :wink:

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
I look at how teams newly promoted to League 1 have done in recent seasons and that fills me with hope that we'll at least keep off the bottom of the table! We won't have any real idea, though, until a couple of months in to the new season. Let's hope it's exciting for the right reasons ...

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Obviously nobody really knows – even those intimately involved inside the game and with good contacts will only have hunches based on mam-bits of information. But let’s just step back a bit and look at a few pertinent facts.

Firstly, the promoted clubs last year all did pretty well (if not spectacularly so) which would suggest it is not BIG step up. Secondly, (OK this is not a FACT per se) but almost all of us would agree we have a better squad now than we started last season with. Thirdly – and in my view crucially – there is a real ‘feel-good’ momentum building around the club. It’s not just a promotion thing, although obviously that’s part of it, but there does seem to be a stability and unity about the place on and off the pitch – a sense the club is starting to really move forward. It feels like the season after Luggy’s first promotion. I’ll be astonished if there aren’t at least a half dozen other clubs in L1 (probably quite a few more) where there are power struggles and deep-seated discontent rumbling in the background. Take Blackburn, for instance. They may appear to be the big guns flashing the cash right now but I wonder just how a bad start will affect moral amongst that lot – blood on the carpet and on the terraces I wouldn’t doubt. We have a hungry young manger who hasn’t failed anywhere, a supportive owner & board, a settled core of players from last season (including our much admired star player who has chosen to stay) plus decent looking additions, and basically everyone pulling in the same direction.

So I feel very optimistic that will be more than enough for us to have a good season whatever the other clubs may or may not be doing. Don’t worry about the rest – just keep ourselves sorted and proud of what we're doing.

Jul 29, 2010
Well said, if we just focus on what we're doing the rest will take care of itself.

We can't second guess or influence the variables of the other sides in the league.

Sep 6, 2006
Ave_IT":31dq8trn said:
Obviously nobody really knows – even those intimately involved inside the game and with good contacts will only have hunches based on mam-bits of information. But let’s just step back a bit and look at a few pertinent facts.

Firstly, the promoted clubs last year all did pretty well (if not spectacularly so) which would suggest it is not BIG step up. Secondly, (OK this is not a FACT per se) but almost all of us would agree we have a better squad now than we started last season with. Thirdly – and in my view crucially – there is a real ‘feel-good’ momentum building around the club. It’s not just a promotion thing, although obviously that’s part of it, but there does seem to be a stability and unity about the place on and off the pitch – a sense the club is starting to really move forward. It feels like the season after Luggy’s first promotion. I’ll be astonished if there aren’t at least a half dozen other clubs in L1 (probably quite a few more) where there are power struggles and deep-seated discontent rumbling in the background. Take Blackburn, for instance. They may appear to be the big guns flashing the cash right now but I wonder just how a bad start will affect moral amongst that lot – blood on the carpet and on the terraces I wouldn’t doubt. We have a hungry young manger who hasn’t failed anywhere, a supportive owner & board, a settled core of players from last season (including our much admired star player who has chosen to stay) plus decent looking additions, and basically everyone pulling in the same direction.

So I feel very optimistic that will be more than enough for us to have a good season whatever the other clubs may or may not be doing. Don’t worry about the rest – just keep ourselves sorted and proud of what we're doing.

Fourthly Adams has been successful wherever he has been. He is a shrewd operator in the transfer market, plans meticulously and knows how to win games.

Sep 6, 2006
Rob_GT4":1iwo76ih said:
Balham_Green":1iwo76ih said:
Rob_GT4":1iwo76ih said:
I agree with the OP for the most part, I've been surprised by the quality some of the 'lesser' teams have got let alone the teams towards the top end (Blackburn have some ridiculous players for this level). I would go so far as to say that actually our squads is one of the weakest I've seen so far and is pretty much still just a good league 2 squad, but luckily we've got Derek Adams who will no doubt get the most out of them.

So you have assessed all the squads have you? You have an in depth knowledge of all lower league players? I dont think you know what you are talking about.

Excuse me?

I may not be an expert but I'd say I have a pretty good grasp yes, it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about.

Anybody reasonably savvy that also goes on general league 1 forums with numerous fans from all clubs commenting would know and have a much better idea of the bigger picture than the insular view you get from a forum focussed on one club like this.

None of us know for sure how we well we'll make the step up, but I stand by everything that I've said and I absolutely believe Derek Adams will need to overachieve with this squad.

When you make comments like 'one of the weakest I have seen' what do you expect? Just wild speculation. Have you seen Ness and the others play regularly?

Sep 6, 2006
Argy1e":3bpeepib said:
Balham_Green":3bpeepib said:
Rob_GT4":3bpeepib said:

Just because you don't, doesn't mean other people don't. I know plenty of people who do.

Really? So how did they gain that knowledge? Have they all been watching lots of League 1 matches regularly?

Mar 21, 2008
Ave_IT":3oyhxk1v said:

I pretty much agree with everything you've said to be fair.

We have momentum, a 'feel good' factor, a good manager and as I've said earlier no one really knows how much our players will be able to make the step up we just have to make hunches based on what we know.

To counter that, some concerns have got to exist around the fact that for me the players we've signed are debatably hardly a step forward, most of them would certainly not look out of place in league 2 at all (Grant, Taylor-Sinclair, Edwards, Wylde etc etc) and the others have by no means shown themselves to be good in league 1 either. When you look at even 'lesser' league 1 teams you will recognise a lot of the names that you saw in league 2 over the years and many merely average league 1 players were very good league 2 players before they moved up, when you look at some of the top end sides budget-wise they are dotted with players that have shown themselves to be quality in the championship and even occasionally the premiership (Peter Whittingham for example).

In my opinion we will need to hope that momentum and team spirit counts for a lot and hope that Derek Adams can get the most out of them to perform greater than the sum of the parts, I'm also hoping that we're yet to bring in our main striker/forward because we look extremely light there at the moment.

If you're genuinely interested in having a broader league 1 education I'd recommend this site that I'm a member of, I've linked a thread showing all of the squads in this league so far.

http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index ... far.15394/

Sep 6, 2006
Rob_GT4":brycykag said:
Ave_IT":brycykag said:

I pretty much agree with everything you've said to be fair.

We have momentum, a 'feel good' factor, a good manager and as I've said earlier no one really knows how much our players will be able to make the step up we just have to make hunches based on what we know.

To counter that, some concerns have got to exist around the fact that for me the players we've signed are debatably hardly a step forward, most of them would certainly not look out of place in league 2 at all (Grant, Taylor-Sinclair, Edwards, Wylde etc etc) and the others have by no means shown themselves to be good in league 1 either. When you look at even 'lesser' league 1 teams you will recognise a lot of the names that you saw in league 2 over the years and many merely average league 1 players were very good league 2 players before they moved up, when you look at some of the top end sides budget-wise they are dotted with players that have shown themselves to be quality in the championship and even occasionally the premiership (Peter Whittingham for example).

In my opinion we will need to hope that momentum and team spirit counts for a lot and hope that Derek Adams can get the most out of them to perform greater than the sum of the parts, I'm also hoping that we're yet to bring in our main striker/forward because we look extremely light there at the moment.

If you're genuinely interested in having a broader league 1 education I'd recommend this site that I'm a member of, I've linked a thread showing all of the squads in this league so far.

http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index ... far.15394/

Means nothing. Was anybody raving about Bradley being a great signing this time last year? Morecambe were desperate to keep Edwards. Player of the season. There is very little of a step up between L. 2 and 1. Sawyer, McCormick, Fox, Jervis, Carey, Threkeld, Ainsworth have all played at a good level.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Balham_Green":2hh6k0is said:
Argy1e":2hh6k0is said:
Balham_Green":2hh6k0is said:
Rob_GT4":2hh6k0is said:

Just because you don't, doesn't mean other people don't. I know plenty of people who do.

Really? So how did they gain that knowledge? Have they all been watching lots of League 1 matches regularly?

FIFA 2017 or good old Championship Manager!

I'm with you BG on this...nobody REALLY knows how good each particular squad is going to be until such time as a ball is kicked in "anger".

Smiffy is also correct...the earliest time to even remotely consider "judging" a team/squad is 10 - 15 games into the season.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Balham_Green":2sg2hx1y said:
Argy1e":2sg2hx1y said:
Balham_Green":2sg2hx1y said:
Rob_GT4":2sg2hx1y said:

Basically, yes.