Sutton V Arsenal | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sutton V Arsenal

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Deacon played against us for Crawley last season. He's awful. A decent step over against Arsenal in the FA Cup isn't justification enough to rate a player. His failings in his career are.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
The FA and the Betting Commision are now looking into the pasty eating saga as bookies were running a book on it. :)

Aug 5, 2016
SwimWithTheTide":3ui6axa4 said:
Deacon played against us for Crawley last season. He's awful. A decent step over against Arsenal in the FA Cup isn't justification enough to rate a player. His failings in his career are.

A step over? Did you watch the game then? He had a far greater impact than a step over.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":3ktdrqbx said:
The FA and the Betting Commision are now looking into the pasty eating saga as bookies were running a book on it. :)

Sour grapes by the bookies. I bet they wouldn't have refunded bets had he had to come on and not had his snack irrespective of whether he was paid to eat one. More fool the bookies for taking bets on this in the first place.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
And it now seems that Sutton United have asked him to resign over this Piegate stuff. A sad ending to what was a great story for the club.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":1amd4dnm said:
And it now seems that Sutton United have asked him to resign over this Piegate stuff. A sad ending to what was a great story for the club.

All left rather a bad taste in the mouth really - bit like that pasty he ate. :(

Aug 5, 2016
At the time I thought it was so contrived and embarrassing when he ate that pie for the cameras/fans.

But the Sutton players are relatively normal blokes on normal wages enjoying their few minutes of fame and an excellent cup run.

Take a Sunday league side and put them on telly. If you pick a fat reserve and give him odds of doing something silly during a game, when he gets wind of it he's going to do exactly that for a laugh. His mates would never forgive him if he didn't.

To sack the bloke over it is ridiculous. It's SunBets fault for putting odds on for something that isn't exactly up to chance - he can easily do it if he wants to. Why shouldn't he? Why ruin his life over it by sacking him? What a load of nonsense.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Knibbsworth":38ryg5g4 said:
At the time I thought it was so contrived and embarrassing when he ate that pie for the cameras/fans.

But the Sutton players are relatively normal blokes on normal wages enjoying their few minutes of fame and an excellent cup run.

Take a Sunday league side and put them on telly. If you pick a fat reserve and give him odds of doing something silly during a game, when he gets wind of it he's going to do exactly that for a laugh. His mates would never forgive him if he didn't.

To sack the bloke over it is ridiculous. It's SunBets fault for putting odds on for something that isn't exactly up to chance - he can easily do it if he wants to. Why shouldn't he? Why ruin his life over it by sacking him? What a load of nonsense.

They're on decent part time wages (2 training sessions a week and match days - £600 a week, yes please), plus full time jobs and various perks and bonuses. They're in a lot better position than many league players who commit themselves full time to their football career.

He's not a Sunday league side 'fat reserve' though is he? He's involved in a club in the fifth tier, with responsibilities, and he's involved in a potential betting scam. It's a shame, but at least he'll have a brief flirtation with the modern day celeb cycle now.

Big Brother Bake off Strictly in the jungle anyone?

Aug 5, 2016
'Betting scam'? Are you serious? He wasn't throwing a goal or losing a snooker frame on purpose. Sun Bets shouldn't offer odds on something as daft as eating a pie then.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Sutton aren't 'Sunday League', despite the BBC coverage making out that they are 483 leagues or so down.

Sutton are actually only a league below ourselves, they're in a league with a number of clubs whom we've played very recently, and whether they have other jobs or not, players in Sutton's league are, according to FIFA rules, professional footballers, including (until today) Wayne Shaw.

I laughed at the time I'll admit, I laughed a lot, but I can definitely see why Sutton offloaded Shaw, would you expect Torquay substitutes, or Lincoln substitutes, or Dagenham Substitutes, or Tranmere substitutes, or Wrexham substitutes to be doing the same?

Aug 5, 2016
Cobi Budge":1dg3todc said:
Sutton aren't 'Sunday League', despite the BBC coverage making out that they are 483 leagues or so down.

Sutton are actually only a league below ourselves, they're in a league with a number of clubs whom we've played very recently, and whether they have other jobs or not, players in Sutton's league are, according to FIFA rules, professional footballers, including (until today) Wayne Shaw.

I laughed at the time I'll admit, I laughed a lot, but I can definitely see why Sutton offloaded Shaw, would you expect Torquay substitutes, or Lincoln substitutes, or Dagenham Substitutes, or Tranmere substitutes, or Wrexham substitutes to be doing the same?

What, eat a pie for a laugh because you're 20 stone, you've become an overnight icon of lower league football and a bookie has put odds on you at 8/1? What has listing all those clubs got to do with it? Akinfenwa would have definitely done it if he was on the bench and the gaffer's used all his subs, and fans are chanting one more pasty and you're dead!! Christ lighten up folks!! It was just a bit of self deprecating humour and banter with the fans. He probably wasn't in cahoots with the triads FFS or Russian gangsters. And even if he was, it would have been Sun Bets own fault for putting on such a stupid comedy bet.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Knibbsworth":24xklbo1 said:
Cobi Budge":24xklbo1 said:

What, eat a pie for a laugh because you're 20 stone, you've become an overnight icon of lower league football and a bookie has put odds on you at 8/1? What has listing all those clubs got to do with it? Akinfenwa would have definitely done it if he was on the bench and the gaffer's used all his subs, and fans are chanting one more pasty and you're dead!! Christ lighten up folks!! It was just a bit of self deprecating humour and banter with the fans. He probably wasn't in cahoots with the triads FFS or Russian gangsters. And even if he was, it would have been Sun Bets own fault for putting on such a stupid comedy bet.

So, what if he or his mates / associates made money out of the bet? Of course it's a potential betting scam, and to dress it up otherwise is either ignorant or condescending.

Aug 22, 2006
Knibbsworth":wh8mf08a said:
Cobi Budge":wh8mf08a said:

I'm not sure what you're going on about to be honest, and no I don't believe Akinfenwa would have done that actually. Shaw's bet was something he had total control over and carried out. He reportedly knew that at least “a few” of his mates or Sutton’s fans had taken up the bet. So there you go. The FA are investigating and there's a separate investigation by the gambling commission against the bookmaker. No one has called him a Russian Gangster. He'll be fine in the long-run don't worry. I don't think he'll get a huge penalty as he didn't play and yes some would see it as a lighthearted incident so they will I reckon take that into account.

However it's not all entirely his fault of course as you pointed out (although no one forced him to eat it lets face it.) The Sun have used Sutton and Wayne Shaw as a PR stun. Also the PR company Sutton hired have been snakes. All in all it's actually Sutton's credentials that have been hit. I have no doubt that Shaw will make a few bob out of it, BUT I wouldn't be surprised that in a couple of years he would have wished that non of this happened, after all he was enjoying life as a goalkeeping coach at Sutton (not just the reserve keeper.) Make no mistake though the Sutton fans are extremely unhappy at Shaw, the PR company they hired and the Sun.

Also just to touch upon Cobi's post about the BBC's coverage - when did they make out that they were 483 leagues below Arsenal? Sutton's rise in recent years has been commendable. The fact we are a division apart from them says more about our downfall. How should the BBC have treated them then? IF Sutton had won it would have been one of the biggest shocks in football history. Yes they're not a terrible side at all, in fact Arsene Wenger did point out after the game that he was surprised at how good they are especially in terms of fitness. That's the key and that's the difference between the non league 20 years ago and now. Sutton would give us a good game put it that way.