Stoke v Argyle MatchDay Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD | Page 30 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stoke v Argyle MatchDay Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD

Jul 12, 2016
Wha

What, like they did against Leicester last week?
A one off. For every game like Leicester I can give you the 5-0 drubbing by MK Dons, the abject performance in the Papa Johns Final at Wembley , the away game at Bristol City etc etc . This is one major failing we have . It is not just a couple of players being off form it’s the whole bloody team.

Reactions: Monster Green
Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Think you've lost your train of thought here. It's not about winning or losing arguments is it?? If so, crack on and slag off the players who have got us here and 'win', nice one.
I'm talking about one thing - whether Houghton and Randell are good enough as a pairing. Which they aren't. Very clear train of thought here thanks.

• Unlike
Reactions: Deacster
Jul 6, 2005
I know we wont want to hear it but Schuey showed that he is a very good coach. His in game management is excellent and he stopped us playing. We literally could not get out of our half and we ended up so stretched out and run ragged. It was a reminder of what we did to other teams under him.
But it is a hellavu lot easier when your opponents set up exactly as you expected and wanted.

Bitterly disappointed with the performance and the result today but really disappointed with Dewsnip in particular.

To go into a game we couldn't afford to lose and set up in such a predictable way against the Manager who knows our players and tactics better than we do was unbelievably naive.

Last week we got a fantastic result but lets not kid ourselves, Leicester had enough chances to win 2 games. But we worked really hard and rode our luck and for once it went our way.

But to go up there today with same team and tactics was ridiculous, especially as Schumacher would have based most of his tactical planning on Argyle doing exactly that.

I'm not saying we should have parked the bus but we couldn't afford the luxury of 2 wide players in Whittaker and Bundu offering very little whilst our 2 slow and not very athletic central midfielders were being overun. It was crying out for a 3rd player in midfield and to be narrower with our shape to deny them the space to play.

Today doesn't show that Schumacher is a tactical genius it just highlighed that Dewsnip is not really a Manager. He certainly has no Plan B when we need to get a result.

It's very like Ryan Lowe who would always play the same way, whether it was against the top of the League or the bottom of the League.

A proper Manager would have put a team out to not lose today and if we snatched a win, great.

Mar 21, 2013
A one off. For every game like Leicester I can give you the 5-0 drubbing by MK Dons, the abject performance in the Papa Johns Final at Wembley , the away game at Bristol City etc etc . This is one major failing we have . It is not just a couple of players being off form it’s the whole bloody team.
Yeah it’s handy the league gave us all those free points last season otherwise we would’ve never won the title by winning important games, bottle jobs we are.

Reactions: Deacster

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don’t doubt for one moment your passion towards Argyle but you have said on so, so, so many occasions ‘this is the worst we’ve ever played’ (or words to that effect) that we must be at the point we’re putting 11 corpses on the pitch it’s that bad now. People questioning the loyalty of players, not trying, on the beach?! Fine if that’s someone’s opinion but I think that’s just crap & disrespectful, claiming we don’t turn up for the big games? Turned up for plenty of them last season & Leicester was a big game that we turned up for. I get the frustration & reactionary comments & I wouldn’t dare stop someone sharing their opinion that x, y, z player doesn’t even try, ”already playing for Schumacher”?!, or want to be here yadda yadda but they are our players & I’m pretty damn sure none of wanted to be on the end of 3-0 defeat today of all days.

I think the last player I called the worst to ever wear the shirt was Tafari Moore (and I stand by that, I think Gary Miller was probably a better RB).

I love this team, I love what we’ve achieved and I love how far we’ve got, but that doesn’t mean I won’t say it how I see it, I thought we were really poor today, we didn’t show enough fight, we gave Stoke too much respect, and that’s really disappointing.

I still think we’ll stay up - and that’s something that I’ve been consistent in saying all season.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Is it simply a lack of quality?

If we lack it why not try and over compensate to give ourselves a chance?

Why do we bother with a Centre mid of only 2 people who aren’t physically or technically strong enough.

We seem to do the same things over and over and get lucky.

Whatever league we are in next season, this squad needs purging

Reactions: oldage
May 16, 2016
If that’s how I come across then fair enough but that’s because we, as a team, are a swinging pendulum. We’re either very good or very bad, we’re rarely just OK. I just call it how I see it.

We were excellent against Leicester. We were very poor today. That’s how the pendulum swings.
So, were Houghton and Randell useless and not good enough for this league v Leicester?
I don't recall seeing that anywhere then.

Reactions: Monster Green

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
Very disappointing display.

We never really laid a glove on them and it looked like only one team was going to win especially in the 2nd half when we seemed to capitulate.

Even worse it looked to me that Stoke wanted it more than us.

So you can talk about budgets and how their players cost more than ours but you should never be able to say that the other team showed more desire.

2 good results for us so far today and we probably only need another point to stay up . Still worried though.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
So, were Houghton and Randell useless and not good enough for this league v Leicester?
I don't recall seeing that anywhere then.

Forshaw played the majority of the game against Leicester. As I’ve said, Randell and Houghton look capable when alongside Forshaw, but they look weak as a pairing. And considering that Forshaw is a bit of a breadstick, we need a couple of new CM’s in the summer.

Reactions: Paul green14
Mar 21, 2013
Losing a manager mid season isn’t exclusive to us so I’m not gonna overly fixate on that too much, but that & then cocking up the next appointment really messed up our season. So if we do end up staying up (& if we secure more points then 3 teams below us then we deserve to however it’s done) it’ll be a successful season.