So, has all the unbudgeted income from last season now gone? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, has all the unbudgeted income from last season now gone?

Mar 21, 2008
the_corkscrew":3asu5iq6 said:
"Spend £1m in the transfer market and you have a striker for a year.
Spend £1m on your Academy and you have strikers for life"
Confuscius.

Have we spent 1 million on the academy then?

Jul 21, 2013
I'm sure I read somewhere that quite a lot of that money was being invested into improving the training pitches - not sure how much exactly though.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The budget would be set for the whole season so perhaps Adams has a percentage of his budget kept back ready for the January transfer window.
Last season in January Adams signed four players and added/renewed loan players.

The income received from the Nelson, Hourihane and Purrington fees would probably be paid by installments so not all of it would be available for this season.

There was also the pre-season trip to Holland that had to be paid for, not many League One or League Two clubs would go to Europe for pre-season training.

There were further improvements to Harpers Park - new drainage, two new pitches, new fencing to prevent damage and vandalism, the Home Park pitch was resurfaced and essential maintenance was carried out around the stadium.

The money from Wembley might have helped pay for Adams' new four year contract signed at the start of last season.

We'll know more when future accounts are published.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
PL2 3DQ":2rucbkqw said:
The budget would be set for the whole season so perhaps Adams has a percentage of his budget kept back ready for the January transfer window.
Last season in January Adams signed four players and added/renewed loan players.

The income received from the Nelson, Hourihane and Purrington fees would probably be paid by installments so not all of it would be available for this season.

There was also the pre-season trip to Holland that had to be paid for, not many League One or League Two clubs would go to Europe for pre-season training.

There were further improvements to Harpers Park - new drainage, two new pitches, new fencing to prevent damage and vandalism, the Home Park pitch was resurfaced and essential maintenance was carried out around the stadium.

The money from Wembley might have helped pay for Adams' new four year contract signed at the start of last season.

Not forgetting last season's mid season training break n Spain.

Oct 18, 2011
Fag packet maths like this always seems to overestimate income and underestimate costs. When the accounts come out, I suspect the income will be lower (of course, some will cry conspiracy). Posters also forget things like taxes, if we made more money, we will have to pay more taxes. The club's already said it used some of the windfall to invest in infrastructure and addressing the backlog of repairs at Home Park (due to lack of maintenance during admin), as others have said. I also hope the board has put some aside in reserves for a rainy day. No problem in asking the questions, but the unfortunate reality is that even though we had a few windfalls last year, we're still a relatively poor club.

Sep 13, 2003
A little off topic but I don't know what "essential maintenance" was done. The roof around the horseshoe is leaking badly, there is a veritable lake in block 7. The ladies toilets were flooded for the first match and subsequently the water was turned off. I worry that it will all need COMPLETE rebuilding by the time we get the old stand done!

G

Greenskin

PL2 3DQ":3fgmy2cu said:

Surely that would be largely future expenditure and taken into account in setting budgets on a year by year basis? If you say that transfer income is paid on an instalment basis and that it would be imprudent to assume that it will be received then it would seem right that expenditure is treated on the same basis.

Mar 21, 2008
PL2 3DQ":3722clx5 said:

Thanks for the reasoned reply.

Admittedly I haven’t mentioned the 2 trips to Europe so they would need to be included, but are they a huge expenditure in the context of a football club that turns over 6-7 million a year? We’re talking about large sums of unbudgeted additional income that has come into this club over the last 18 months and regardless of what years financial accounts they fall under have we seen any investment in the team, in fact is the team even being financed to a level that is reflective of the support and attendances that we have? If we have the 5th highest attendances and one of the lowest (or the actual lowest as suggested) budget, are we competing on a level playing field with other clubs?

I’d hope that Adams does try to bolster in January and I’m pretty sure he is realising already that he’s lacking in some areas, but will the current team hold its own sufficiently until then, and do we think that the other clubs in this league won’t strengthen themselves too especially the ones that are struggling? Adams comments in the media, and difficulties making additions when the transfer window was open don’t tend to suggest that Adams has significant sums in reserve that he’s holding back for January.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Rob_GT4":10uicjv2 said:
PL2 3DQ":10uicjv2 said:

Thanks for the reasoned reply.

Admittedly I haven’t mentioned the 2 trips to Europe so they would need to be included, but are they a huge expenditure in the context of a football club that turns over 6-7 million a year? We’re talking about large sums of unbudgeted additional income that has come into this club over the last 18 months and regardless of what years financial accounts they fall under have we seen any investment in the team, in fact is the team even being financed to a level that is reflective of the support and attendances that we have? If we have the 5th highest attendances and one of the lowest (or the actual lowest as suggested) budget, are we competing on a level playing field with other clubs?

I’d hope that Adams does try to bolster in January and I’m pretty sure he is realising already that he’s lacking in some areas, but will the current team hold its own sufficiently until then, and do we think that the other clubs in this league won’t strengthen themselves too especially the ones that are struggling? Adams comments in the media, and difficulties making additions when the transfer window was open don’t tend to suggest that Adams has significant sums in reserve that he’s holding back for January.

I wasn't disagreeing with your original post ( the £420k solidarity payment is not common knowledge :) ), I was just trying to offer a possible explanation.

I'm not sure if Adams' various quotes about his budget is a public moan or to build up his profile of supposedly over achieving.
He probably has at his disposal the highest paid player since the days of administration and he's known since the end of last season that the striker department is light in numbers.

Oct 24, 2010
Greenskin":174za82q said:
PL2 3DQ":174za82q said:

Surely that would be largely future expenditure and taken into account in setting budgets on a year by year basis? If you say that transfer income is paid on an instalment basis and that it would be imprudent to assume that it will be received then it would seem right that expenditure is treated on the same basis.
Good point about the tax, I imagine most would be vatable which would reduce the income by 20% straight away.Likewise gate receipts attract VAT which combined with concessions would reduce the average income per attendee to around £10-£11.

Aug 10, 2006
Adams ain't got a 4 year contract and 10 supporter's paid £12'500 grand towards the Holland trip.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
loyal1970":3chgou7c said:
Adams ain't got a 4 year contract and 10 supporter's paid £12'500 grand towards the Holland trip.

Adams has got 3 years left on a 4 year contract.
Link

May 8, 2011
The Club is also providing additional money to extend the Grandstand roof and works to the floodlights in addition to the planned refurbishment works.
I vaguely remember a figure of around £900,000 being mentioned but stand to be corrected.

Mar 21, 2008
HC Green":zr137wxm said:
The Club is also providing additional money to extend the Grandstand roof and works to the floodlights in addition to the planned refurbishment works.
I vaguely remember a figure of around £900,000 being mentioned but stand to be corrected.

Not quite, the 900k is coming from the purchase of new shares. From the Herald:

'PLYMOUTH Argyle are on track to submit a planning application for a redeveloped and expanded grandstand at Home Park before the summer.

Director Simon Hallett and his wife Jane will fund the £5 million project, which will include a new conference and banqueting centre, with a £4.1m long-term loan and a £900,000 purchase of new shares in the club.

The aim is for work, which would increase the capacity at Home Park to around 20,000, to be completed by the end of the 2018/19 season.'

May 8, 2011
The 2016 accounts are available to view on the Companies House website.
Probably the most telling figure that shows how the finances of the Club has turned around is that the average number of employees in 2016 was 312, compared to 254 in 2015.