Simon Hallett's sliding doors moment | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Hallett's sliding doors moment

Mar 3, 2021
Unfortunately this club is at the wrong end of the country to be able to keep and acquire good players. A lot want to go back up North after 1 or 2 seasons and even go to clubs in lower divisions than were are in. This has always been the situation in the 40 years I have supported the club. A lack of airport has not helped. Yes we need investors who can plough in large sums of money as we have found out this season. We were always going to struggle when Azaz and Cundle left even with Schumacher here. No funds available for recruitment in January made staying in this league a lot harder especially with a poor appointment of a unproven manager with a poor style of play.. Playing tippy tappy football at the back is not exciting and has caused us problems with a lack of a plan B. We need to mix up our play. If we go down which is looking likely next season could be disappointing As we basically will be rebuilding our team from scratch. Defensively we have been poor even last season we had our moments fortunately we had some good midfield players who created many chances.

Reactions: Railway sleeper
Apr 2, 2024
ā€œNo funds available for recruitment in Janā€ should be ā€œNo funds were spent in Janā€

Oct 10, 2018
I wasn't sure whether to respond because l don't really know you apart from reading your comments.

I don't think there is anything wrong with passion & emotion. In fact l would say these are two key attributes as to why we connect to football in the way we do. I read your comments & l know like many of us they come from a place of frustation. We just want this football club to blossom into something many of us dreamt about. I don't think there is much wrong with this as long as it doesn't cross a certain line.

Where l get annoyed with people is personal abuse. Why on earth do that? If you can't keep it about football then don't say anything. Yet people do. Some fans are complete idiots because they lost the art of communication & instead turn it into social media venting.

Most will know l don't rate Jordan Houghton. However, that doesn't mean l don't respect him. The guy is one of very few people who get to play professional football at a high level. To do this you got to have the right character & a certain skillset to make it. He is probably a really nice bloke. I just make sure when l talk about him it's in regards to football & how l want this club to keep on evolving. There is a way of talking about people that can remain respectful.

In two weeks time, l can guarantee you if we go down there will be an outpouring of emotional venting. I even think there will be a few people stupid enough to say Simon Hallett needs to move on.

There is no logic or rational to what some people say on social media. There is often just a ramblings of words because their emotions get the better of them. Yet, if your really lucky you get posts like you just made where people will understand where your coming from. Just by thinking about your actions you wrote a thought provoking piece about how you reacted to Saturday's game. Not many people would be prepared to open themselves up on social media in that way.

Did you listen to Bojan on latest pod cast, he made some similar points, criticism is healthy if constructive, and can help.improve you as a player, but slating and personal verbal assault towards a player, especially from fans as the majority have never and will never don.an professional jersey is not healthy and serves no.positive end.

Reactions: Mark58 and MGM
Oct 10, 2018
No point which I have never seen discussed is our Argyle seemingly lack of loan out options. Whenever argyle have a respected prospect like for example Randell was, where are they loaned out to, Tivy, Euro, Taunton, Torquay. This is too far down the footballing prymid to be useful to gage if there ready for the next big step in there development.

When was the last time you had a jack endacott, or Freedie I, WJD go out on loan to a Barnsley, Oxford, Peterborough, this has been the case for decades. So we are asking any young talent to jump up 5 leagues in experience, do not feel there are many clubs in the Championship with this barrier to player development, so this is an area that needs to discussing in any 5 year plan.

Reactions: Stbkk
Oct 10, 2018
Its certainly an ? area DoF of football and Amy new manager needs to be assessing, our loan out networking options.

Feb 13, 2021
I can answer that. Doesn't tackle, doesn't score. Any assists this season? Usually just sideway passes.
He does win tackles, his job is not to hit defence splitting passes its to help the team from the back. He has been one of our more consistent players this season. And no he will not score many goals or assists as its not what he is there for.
He is a defensive midfielder they never stand out they just get on with there job. Thought you would know that.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 25, 2016
Apr 2, 2024
Little or no funds were available. The player budget was spent in the previous summer. Got it?
Iā€™m sure Hallett has said differently to you in that interview with the Herald in January.

The implication was that money was available but IF didnā€™t spend it. (Either wisely or otherwise).

Letā€™s not forget we are all on the same side.

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
Iā€™m sure Hallett has said differently to you in that interview with the Herald in January.

The implication was that money was available but IF didnā€™t spend it. (Either wisely or otherwise).

Letā€™s not forget we are all on the same side.

Well the indications are Ashley Phillips is on Ā£15,000 a week. Baring in mind Argyle would be doing business with one of the tightest chairman in the premier league, in Daniel Levy, the chances are Argyle maybe paying a significant part of his wages. That might be where the money has gone. Devine, Gyabi & Forshaw would probably all be earning decent money before they came to Argyle. I guess the question is just how much are we contributing in wages that got them here.

Reactions: Jon with no H
Jul 28, 2020
This point may be worth a separate thread on it's own

And that's our policy of signing many young players on loan

This has really run its course in my view- if we remain in the championship

The recalls in january, plus the appointment of mr foster ( who barely did any better than the guy from Gloucester in the famous nursery rhyme- second thoughts I think the nursery rhyme character would have done better šŸ˜‰) have really done for us and have really left us with a severe lack of quality outside of the overworked and overused hardie and whittaker

Of the young loanees only gyabi, Phillip's and azaz were 'hits' for me

Thinking back on holloways time at the club we had sinclair and martin on the wings

We really need top quality like this- not quantity with some term in the loan agreement to prevent recalls ( if possible)

Instead of some many youngsters we need to be looking in Europe for players like frio, Landrieu, halmosi,buszacky, timar

If we do stay up this season, I really think it will be more down to luck than judgement

Reactions: Melbourne Mark
Oct 19, 2021
But then again, we could be away to Stockport County on the first day of next Season! :oops:
In fairness Stockport are a decent club who belong in League One. Iā€™d be much more depressed about having to go away to Stevenage and Burton again (or Exeter for that matter).

Sep 6, 2006
He does win tackles, his job is not to hit defence splitting passes its to help the team from the back. He has been one of our more consistent players this season. And no he will not score many goals or assists as its not what he is there for.
He is a defensive midfielder they never stand out they just get on with there job. Thought you would know that.
If Houghton is a defensive midfielder my aunt is my uncle. He does not win tackles. Do you not see how open we are and how exposed the defence is? Thought you would have seen that.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
In fairness Stockport are a decent club who belong in League One. Iā€™d be much more depressed about having to go away to Stevenage and Burton again (or Exeter for that matter).

Not knocking them bud, just using them as an example of a 4th tier club coming up and a 2nd tier club (possibly) going down. :(

Reactions: Sherford Green