Safe standing, the first English application... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Safe standing, the first English application...

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
MarkMatthews":3a51nf4o said:
They wouldn't have to rip it out just unlock the seats and sell them as seating. It actually makes sense to put this in new grounds instead of traditional terracing which the likes of Morecambe and Burton have as it allows you to comply with all seater rules at no extra cost when you have to and you also would benefit from allowing standing after any future change in the Law.

Not true. You would need to obtain a licence to use the rail seating, irrespective of how you use it. That license would only be valid in the Championship / Premier League for the first couple of seasons, but if they had to convert their stadium to all-seater, those rail-seats would have to come out.

If Argyle are really serious about this issue I don't see why they wouldn't put it in now for standing use at a later date. It does cost more than normal seating I believe and of course they may never be a change in the law in which case you could argue it was a waste of money.

Because we're not allowed to.

Feb 28, 2016
Quinny":1ymvjqqp said:
MarkMatthews":1ymvjqqp said:
They wouldn't have to rip it out just unlock the seats and sell them as seating. It actually makes sense to put this in new grounds instead of traditional terracing which the likes of Morecambe and Burton have as it allows you to comply with all seater rules at no extra cost when you have to and you also would benefit from allowing standing after any future change in the Law.

Not true. You would need to obtain a licence to use the rail seating, irrespective of how you use it. That license would only be valid in the Championship / Premier League for the first couple of seasons, but if they had to convert their stadium to all-seater, those rail-seats would have to come out.

If Argyle are really serious about this issue I don't see why they wouldn't put it in now for standing use at a later date. It does cost more than normal seating I believe and of course they may never be a change in the law in which case you could argue it was a waste of money.

Because we're not allowed to.

If that's the case I stand corrected (no pun intended)

Begs the question why Shrewsbury didn't just put traditional terracing in when they built the new ground if they wanted standing.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jimsing":oul1fyq9 said:
The difference between standing and safe standing is the fact that individual tickets can be used for safe standing, thereby eliminating any over-spill completely, which seems to be at the crux of the Hillsborough matter.

It would still need to be closely policed because football fans cannot be trusted to stand where their ticket says the should. Imagine a group of ten mates have tickets for a game which are spread apart. You can bet your last dollar they will just invade an area to be together. They won't care if half of them have squeezed into a row already up to its proper capacity. All of a sudden, safe standing isn't as safe as it should be.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Lundan Cabbie":hy03k4b2 said:
jimsing":hy03k4b2 said:
The difference between standing and safe standing is the fact that individual tickets can be used for safe standing, thereby eliminating any over-spill completely, which seems to be at the crux of the Hillsborough matter.

It would still need to be closely policed because football fans cannot be trusted to stand where their ticket says the should. Imagine a group of ten mates have tickets for a game which are spread apart. You can bet your last dollar they will just invade an area to be together. They won't care if half of them have squeezed into a row already up to its proper capacity. All of a sudden, safe standing isn't as safe as it should be.
But that already happens in the seated areas anyway

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I didn't say it did, but what's the difference between it happening in the current set up and it happening with rail seating apart from the fact it's safer with rail seating as there's a barrier to stop people falling into the row in front?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
If Standing in seating areas is dangerous then new legislation would have to demonstrate that safe standing improves the situation and not have similar flaws

Feb 8, 2005
Lundan Cabbie":37qwwhtp said:
If Standing in seating areas is dangerous then new legislation would have to demonstrate that safe standing improves the situation and not have similar flaws

Hasn't this already been done by those stadia that have safe standing now?

I'm sure those stadia in Germany would not be considered dangerous!!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jimsing":10ysn6a7 said:
Lundan Cabbie":10ysn6a7 said:

Hasn't this already been done by those stadia that have safe standing now?

I'm sure those stadia in Germany would not be considered dangerous!!

What has Germany got to do with English and Welsh Law?

The way things are at the moment, the Home Secretary can simply trigger a change in the legislation to allow safe standing but with the political scene right now what with safety legislation away from football under scrutiny and with Hillsborough back on the front pages it ain't gonna happen for a while yet.