Points Target | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Points Target

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
CornishGreenWhite":20f67lzs said:
How good would promotion be at Portsmouth? Don't want to tempt fate but in the Premiership teams aim for 40 points for survival, in League two teams aim for 45 points for survival, we should be targeting 85+ points for promotion.

Next weeks game is our biggest of the season, win that and we'll have one foot in league 1's door.

:silent:

Win and we will be 12 point clear of them, minimum 11 clear of 4th with a game in hand

Lose and 6 points clear, still with a game in hand...

we would all prefer the first, but worst case scenario we are still better off than them.

A draw would be a decent result tho.

Either way, I'd rather be us than them (obviously)

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I think it's really important to keep Doncaster within striking distance, nothing is guaranteed in this division and nothing to say they won't have a wobble. I'm sure DA is still targeting winning this league.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Larry David":11pl766q said:
I think it's really important to keep Doncaster within striking distance, nothing is guaranteed in this division and nothing to say they won't have a wobble. I'm sure DA is still targeting winning this league.

Shhh, it's a secret

Then BAM

Aug 5, 2016
Princerock":11yzylry said:
Knibbsworth":11yzylry said:
Balham_Green":11yzylry said:
It has been commented on how difficult our away run in is. The flip side of that is the home run is relatively easy - on paper! 6 home wins out of 9 and a point a game away may just about be enough. Doesnt sound that difficult.

Difficult for who, us?

We have the best away record in the division, 10 wins from 14 on the road and also a clean sheet at Anfield.

Who do you suggest we need to be afraid of?

Wrong.......Exeter have got 31 pts away.....we have only 30 pts.

Exeter have played one match more than us. So points per game Argyle have the best away form in the division. Only if we lose our next away game will that be wrong.

olive green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
Knibbsworth":2cqqaian said:
Princerock":2cqqaian said:
Knibbsworth":2cqqaian said:
Balham_Green":2cqqaian said:
It has been commented on how difficult our away run in is. The flip side of that is the home run is relatively easy - on paper! 6 home wins out of 9 and a point a game away may just about be enough. Doesnt sound that difficult.

Difficult for who, us?

We have the best away record in the division, 10 wins from 14 on the road and also a clean sheet at Anfield.

Who do you suggest we need to be afraid of?

Wrong.......Exeter have got 31 pts away.....we have only 30 pts.

Exeter have played one match more than us. So points per game Argyle have the best away form in the division. Only if we lose our next away game will that be wrong.
I think if we lose our next home game it will be wrong...

Apr 15, 2016
With everyone taking points off each other and a large chasing pack I reckon 80 points will be enough this year for 3rd

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
GreenArmy1984":jehl7wop said:
18 Games To Go !!

9 Home ( Exeter , Leyton Orient , Notts County , Carlisle , Blackpool , Morecambe , Accrington , Newport , Crewe )

9 Away ( Hartlepool , Luton , Mansfield , Wycombe , Doncaster , Crawley , Portsmouth , Colchester , Grimsby )

5 of the next 7 games at home - it gets tough away from home after that (7 out of 11 away).

Would be good to build a big lead over Carlisle by then who have Doncaster, Wycombe, Portsmouth and us to play in the same period.

Jan 6, 2004
Chris Dennis":1pfp3eva said:
GreenArmy1984":1pfp3eva said:
18 Games To Go !!

9 Home ( Exeter , Leyton Orient , Notts County , Carlisle , Blackpool , Morecambe , Accrington , Newport , Crewe )

9 Away ( Hartlepool , Luton , Mansfield , Wycombe , Doncaster , Crawley , Portsmouth , Colchester , Grimsby )

5 of the next 7 games at home - it gets tough away from home after that (7 out of 11 away).

Would be good to build a big lead over Carlisle by then who have Doncaster, Wycombe, Portsmouth and us to play in the same period.

Except I have more confidence in us away from home than at home to be honest - defending in depth and hitting on the break seems to be our most effective style.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Green_Flash":1xyzj2zf said:
Chris Dennis":1xyzj2zf said:
GreenArmy1984":1xyzj2zf said:
18 Games To Go !!

Except I have more confidence in us away from home than at home to be honest - defending in depth and hitting on the break seems to be our most effective style.

We are largely untested against the top half of the table away from home having only played 4 of them so far. We've beaten the bottom six away plus 2 others in the bottom half. Home form is key from now on.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Green_Flash":1l56nit4 said:
Chris Dennis":1l56nit4 said:
GreenArmy1984":1l56nit4 said:
18 Games To Go !!

Hopefully, the addition of Taylor, Sarcevic and Kennedy will provide us with more attacking options at home.

C

CornishGreenWhite

ProfGreen":3ibeaw6j said:
With everyone taking points off each other and a large chasing pack I reckon 80 points will be enough this year for 3rd

I think and hope you're going to be right. :cool:

N

newquaygreen

As we get closer to the end the bottom six will be fighting like tigers, I would rather play sides mid-table who have nothing to play for.

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
City have got Carlisle and Donny in their last 2 games and als Cambridge and Mansfield away who i think will be in the hunt for playoff places then. There are no easy run ins for an any team.

Apr 15, 2016
If you average the number of points (48) from 29 games played so far in 4th position, and assume the team finishing fourth will finish with around about this points per game ratio (29 is a pretty good basis to go off to get an accurate prediction), then Exeter in 4th would achieve '76.1' points at this rate. Therefore the theory this season that the number of points required for automatic promotion is less than most years seems to be a correct one.

The '85 points' autos target this season I would say is OTT. That would mean the teams currently occupying from 4th position down would have to get a minimum of 36 points from the remaining 17 games. A tall ask when pretty much everyone in the top 12 have to play each other so lots of points will be dropped.

All this said... if we win our games we go up! But just from looking briefly at the points and stats, I'm far more confident this year!

C

CornishGreenWhite

Another win. 25 points will guarantee us promotion.

There is no doubt in my mind that this team will gain us promotion.

We have got this in the bag, well done Derek.

:scarf: