One Game at a Time: Nailsworth Town ( aka Forest Green Rovers) (A) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

One Game at a Time: Nailsworth Town ( aka Forest Green Rovers) (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
One Game at a Time

Nailsworth Town (aka Forest Green Rovers) (A) August 20th

Out of the Valley of Dearth rode the 1200, pride, hope and optimism hoisted onto their shields and bourne away to the funeral pyres of the end of the season.

Except of course that no-one gets promoted (or relegated) in mid-August, and however much the performance was self-inflicted destruction, against what looks a very decent Charlton outfit, with a pacy loanee in Rak Saryi and a wily robust focal point in Stockley, the football Gods dictate that come Saturday, we go again. Cliches are only cliches because they are true.

Argyle may have lost the game, and lost it badly, mainly due to the unfortunate, but correct interpretation of the current handball rules which led to the red card for James Wilson. As a former low level referee, I do struggle with this new-fangled idea that some rules that change when applied in different parts of the pitch. A ball blazed at a player in midfield and strikes his hand, play on accidental. The same in the penalty area and the ball going in (was it though) penalty and red card….

Still, pass to your own players and these things don’t even happen…..as I am sure will be relayed to the squad when they resume training this week.

The one consistent part of the game from a Green perspective was the noisy and persistent support that came from the away end. Impressive and yet not a surprise. Adversity is a frequent source of binding together. On very few occasions have I witnessed the Green Army turn on their team….I wasn’t at the fateful Accrington match, but I was there for 0-7 at Brentford where you knew as they walked away that Shilton was done for.

Even some of the best seasons have bumps in the road that jar to the core. 74/5 took until the away game at Bury to record an away win and included a 5-1 drubbing at Wrexham. Spoiler alert, they also won the return 3-0 at Fortress HP. And that first away victory…a scruffy 1-0 at Gigg Lane. October 26th. Yes…October for the first away point of the season. The season we finished runners up.

85/6…the collapse at Reading, and that after we started with three defeats in the first four league matches, yet still finished above Derby the last time they were at this level.

95/6… a season commemorated in the new away strip, started with six defeats on the bounce until Bury once again came to our rescue, this time in September.

01/2…no shellackings but two defeats from two at home at the start of the season, to Shrewsbury and Rochdale of all people. Yet we all remember the away game at Spotland.

03/4 - a season where we could do no wrong. Well apart from 3-0 away defeats at QPR and Tranmere and a dreadful, ref inspired 4-1 tonking at Oldham.

Yet still then, as now we, sing. We support. Because in the immortal words of Kermit the Frog, it’s not easy being green, but green is what we are. And there are many, many more green based music references I could have chosen (although hopefully Argyle Greens offices are not reverberating to Green Days American Idiot on repeat), but in times of if not crisis, then disappointment, Kermit is your man…er …frog.

Given that Nailsworth Town managed to have their fully organic pitch deemed unplayable from the flash floods (correct me if I am wrong but they are the second highest football league ground on top of a gert big hill, so er what/how????) Kermit might be on the bench for Saturday.

Fingers crossed another thimble full of rain doesn’t cause the least likely postponement until Eric Ten Haags ten year anniversary party at Old Trafford. Ten weeks might be a push, and they only let in four in London.

GINO Rovers ( Green in Name Only) are the plaything of eco pioneer Dale Vince and have the current aspiration of aiming to be the biggest club in Gloucestershire, a none too onerous task as their rivals for the El Glosico ( I know I know, everything has to be a derby now) …are Cheltenham Town, recent 0-7 drubbees of the six toes.

Vince’s eco credentials are strong, the ground and indeed the club are vegan although that is not enforced on the players, as witnessed by the local Greggs being a haven for the players after training when John” The Beast” Parkin was at the club. They finally made their push and gained League status in 2017, although the club itself was formed in 1894.

Unsurprisingly they have several firsts to their name, all connected with their devotion to the environmentally friendly approach, including generating their own electricity (supplied via Vince’s firm of course), and using a GPS directed mow bot to cut the pitch. Presumably these are less easy to nick by spotty herberts, so they might not be the worst idea ever. Ironically, FGR also apparently collect rainwater for use in irrigating the pitch, so that might need a rethink after Tuesday.

Much has been made of their award winning Vegan food menu which has apparently created a much fitter squad as well as the world’s most profitable Saturday afternoon Greggs nearby.

The club also has its matchday kit created from recycled coffee cups and plastic, and whilst their second biggest shareholder is ex Arsenal and Barcelona midfielder/full back Hector Bellarin, to date the recycled kit has not paid significant dividends in player recruitment. There are still two weeks to transfer deadline day so I may eat my words if the club suddenly sign Diego Costa, Marcus Bean, either of the Expressengon twins or Phil Starbuck.

FGR also have planning permission for an (almost) all wood stadium to be built close by that will be the most sustainable stadium in world football. Sadly for the Sid James Park replacement fund it won't be available at IKEA, but with a capacity of 5,000 it would have been way too big anyway.

The culmination of all these initiatives led FIFA to make one of the most controversial declarations in its history, and don’t forget they declared Sepp Blatter was misunderstood, Chuck Blazer was pretty good at doing his expenses and Vladimir Putin runs a very friendly World Cup and country, is that my briefcase Vladimir? Many thanks.

In 2017 FIFA declared the FGR were, and I quote, the greenest football club in the world.

No matter that we are the Green Army, have always and only played in green (or tangergreen which I am pretty sure is now a Dulux pantone). Ignore all those Devon Bowls. The defeat of Argentina (at home), Pele and Santos (no Vladimir, that’s Pele’s briefcase) and who have managed to install a rainwater collection system that doesn’t end up with a flooded pitch.

So, after the flood (of goals) comes the chance to truly decide who are the greenest club in football, and to put an end to this Soy of the Rovers vegan propaganda.

But that won’t depend on the result of this or any other Saturday/Tuesday. Because that Green great Kermit reminds us that whilst being green isn’t easy, it has so many great things that go with it, at the end of the day being Green is great.

I wanted to end on an optimistic musical note. Not for me Kermit's cousin Robin and his football anthem, so apposite today of “Halfway down the league is the place where we sit,” but from that wonderful sporting triumph, Annie.

No matter what the result on Saturday or in the future, “The Sun will come out Tomorrow”

Just don’t expect it to carry a quote from Schuey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.