One Game at a Time: Cambridge United (H) April 22nd | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

One Game at a Time: Cambridge United (H) April 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
One Game at a Time:

Cambridge United (H) April 22nd

Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose.

After an eventful Tuesday evening, where three identical results for the top three came about in three very different ways, I imagined what it must be like in EFL Towers on Wednesday morning.

Ring, ring.

Hello. EFL. Oh, hello Kieran, fancy you calling me after the games. Again. How can I help? Was that referee OK? I saw you got the pen, eventually. Three appeals you say…well he got there in the end, didn’t he. Ok, well I have put a line through his name as well. Why don’t you just send me a list of the ones you that you like and we can just choose from those. No, I think if you just have the one that disallowed that perfectly good Derby goal against you every week people will notice. Is there anything else I can help with?

Ah, yes, I did get that new League table you couriered over. I have to say I didn’t quite understand it, what with all the blue crayon marks everywhere. Ah, OK, so no we can’t take away their points when they have deflected goals. No, not even if they weren’t going in. No, not even when they are from a player they borrowed. No, not even from them.

The extra point you are owed? Ah, I see where the confusion might be coming from. So yes, it is often said that having a superior goal difference is like having an extra point, but you can’t just have the point and have a smaller goal difference. No really. Anything else?

The games ending at the same time. Well, you see the reason that happens is when players get injured or time waste the ref adds some time at the end. So, it is actually OK to score the winning goal in that time. Yes, more than once in a season is OK too. I know, it must be annoying, and I am sorry if it made Freddie cry but what can you do?

Right, no on the last day the games all must start at the same time. No, not even if you have a fax from the Jamaican FA. We are not falling for that one again. No, nor Antigua. Not Saint Kitts and Nevis either. Kieran, put the atlas down, you still must play on the same day as the others and at the same time. Well, we moved them for the Coronation. Ah, again I can see where the confusion might have come from. No, this was for the Coronation of King Charles III. Not your team’s coronation. Will we have the trophy in Fleetwood? Well, I expect it won’t be too far away.

Yes, talk to you on Monday. Bye.

Ring. Ring.

What now? Hello, EFL. Oh, hello Darren. Yes, he’s already called. Yes, same old same old. How can I help you? No, no, don’t cry. I am sure he isn’t doing it deliberately. Well, yes I know he is doing it deliberately but it isn’t just aimed at you. Well, it might seem like it is every week but, that’s football.

The new players he has? Ok, let me explain this again. You see the big glass thing in your office. No, not the one with the orange juice, the one where the sun shines in. Oh, sorry yes, you’re in Sheffield aren’t you. The thing the rain hits and that rattles in the wind. Ok, well in January the window opens, and you can bring new people in to play for you. Well, no, you might have to pay for them. I am not sure. He probably asked his Chairman for the money to do it. No, I don’t know if he just shouted at him and slammed the door. I don’t think so, he has always seemed very pleasant to me. Yes, lucky little Stevie.

Ok, well look you won last night so that must make you feel better. Oh, you broke another one. Well, again that’s a shame but you do have other players you can use. Well, they might not be the ones you want, but in summer you can change the ones you don’t like. Oh he’s already signed for an extra year you say….yes he does always look quite angry, doesn’t he. Well, the others then. Change them.

Well, no I can’t promise it will be you doing it. I suggest you have a holiday and relax. Maybe read a good book. No not The Good Book, although did you read that story I told you about? Yes, the Good Samaritan. They have a phone line too. Maybe call that one instead of here after games? They just hang up? Oh dear. Did you read the other book I sent you? Yes, Football Coaching for Dummies. Oh, ok, well maybe ask him to sign it for you at the Manager of the Season awards and ask him about the big words then. Yes, or Kieran. Oh, Ok Darren, well if that is your travel agent on the other line better go and talk to them. Going anywhere nice? Cancelling? Oh, that’s a shame. Possibly a mistake to have booked them for May though.

He hangs up the phone.

Right, now then. Opening Championship fixture proposal for next season. Let’s start with Everton v Plymouth shall we? That should go down well.

Back to reality.

I would imagine that shortly after half time, when a bare bones Shrewsbury sprung the offside line of a previously relatively untroubled Argyle defence to take the lead, the mood in the 1200 strong Green Army was far from mellow. With the Wendies seemingly cruising at Bristol Rovers and Ipswich having levelled the unexpected lead taken by Port Vale, Argyle once again stared down the barrel of third place, a position they had resolutely hovered above since beating Ipswich at home the previous September, like some weird anti-gravity physics experiment created by the games department to engage the attention of the classroom.

Cometh the hour, cometh not one man but two. Firstly Niall Ennis, back in the saddle at one of his former clubs, and battling away to recover the ball, stop it from rolling out for a goal kick, and then beating his man to deliver the inch perfect cross to the far post. Waiting there was Captain Fantastic, Joe 90 for, at last, his first goal of the season.

Even so, despite the relief, time dragged on as Shrewsbury ran the gamut of their playbook of dark arts to eat up the time. Ipswich took the lead, of course they did. Rovers had a possibly valid equaliser ruled out for offside. Argyle, inspired by Mayor in a kind of left wing back/wide role tried to pull the Shrews defence out of shape, and they doggedly and, in all honesty given their lack of numbers to select from, impressively, refused to be so.

Finally in the final minute of added on time, a corner. The route to salvation on Saturday was hacked clear yet again by a tiring Shrews defender. Played out to Gillesphey, brought back after being rested against Exeter, he arced the perfect ball, again to the far post where a horizontal Callum Wright alice banded it into the net and managed to escape about ten yards before being buried in a pile of teammates. Pity Callum Burton, who being a hundred yards from the action, had to content himself with a pile on with the Green Army.

For those who were forced to take their medicine drip by drip on Sky, the replay was accompanied by the soundtrack of the joyous shouts of the Argyle analysts, stationed alongside commentator Matt Murray.

Described by Schuey as a rollercoaster after the game, once again the team and fans celebrated together, and a superb fourth away win on the spin left the blues boys of Town and Wednesday bluer again, in language and resolve, as they lamented the relentlessness of a squad that simply doesn’t know how to give up, and a manager and his team that finds a way, week in, week out.

With Argyles six out of six from Shrewsbury and Exeter once again showing the folly of following rival (or indeed any) fans punditry, Argyle now have home comforts for three games that define their season. At least one Ipswich fan has already expressed outrage that we should have three home matches when they somehow have to play three away games, but then having had smoke blown up their bottoms by an Ali Maxwell tweet about them being soooooo good, there was one thread on TWTD that was debating whether or not they should be staging a parade.

Well, it is a lovely idea but, in the event, it is quite a long way for us to travel, and we need to finish the job first.

First up in the home sequence are old friends and recent nemesis Cambridge United. Themselves having succumbed to Why Come on Tuesday for their first defeat in five, the U’s have slid inexorably into the bottom four but a recent surge in form, including a far from shabby home win at the Abbey over local rivals Posh, has given them hope of escaping the fate of FGR, and perhaps condemning their varsity rivals Oxford in their stead.

With forward Sam Smith having hit the target for five games in a row, and alleged Argyle target Harvey Knibbs also playing in midfield, there are plenty of amber banana skins to avoid. Since the turn of the century only one home win in five games against the U’s so far means that this one is not a simple "pass go and collect three points". Past experience predicts a physical game and Argyles walking wounded from Tuesday night may need to stand up and be counted. Scarr’s injury looked a bad one, and whilst the return of Galloway has been a boon, even with his plaster cast, it is a long time since he completed three games in a week. Indeed it is a while since he has done three games in a month.

A fast start will be a boon, and yet another capacity home crowd will play a pivotal role in creating an atmosphere to encourage the players forward, but also in not allowing frustration or an early set back to become a damper on the occasion.

A win, with our closest pursuers having tough games themselves, will sap the strength of the chasing pack even more. We know that be it in the first minute of a half or the ninety sixth of a match we have the players to score.

A Pasoti poster quoted from Dave Smiths Promotion Diary after last night and I think the words used then and now sum up the position perfectly. We have won two hard games with guts and determination so I unashamedly repeat it here.

“Hard pounding, gentlemen. Let’s see who pounds the longest” was the attitude of the Duke of Wellington.

As for the final task ahead, who better than that son of Tavistock and bowls addict Sir Francis Drake who said, “There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory.”

Jim Furnell saving Venables penalty in the FA Cup against Palace in 1974/5.

Peter Hartley heading home from Carey’s exquisite corner, cream first then jam to send Argyle past Pompey.

Now Callum Wright echoing Hughie Reeds horizontal prowess at Shrewsbury in the ninety-sixth minute.

Argyle go to the end.

Eight points from four games. That's how close we are.

COYG!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.