Northampton issued a winding-up petition | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Northampton issued a winding-up petition

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
That's a shame, unfortunately winding up petitions against football clubs, big and small, are issued almost on a weekly basis usually by HMRC.
Some are trivial matters and others, like ours, are serious.

Oct 14, 2015
Reading this morning about Northampton Town being served a winding up notice. Having been through all that over the years with PAFC I sincerely hope that that their situation has as happy ending as ours did. For the players, staff, spectators and everyone else connected with NTFC wishing you every success.....it's not a very pleasant situation to be in..

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
There situation is a very odd one. The chairman has always been very open and ready to speak to the local media, but he has been alot harder to trace in recent months.

The basic outline was the council lent the football club £12 million to rebuild the East Stand, increasing the capacity from something like 7000 to 105000. However the company that was to build the stand went pop - now there are a number of question marks as to how much of the money was handed over.

The council asked for their money back as the stand had not been built, the Chairman says he doesn't have it, he was supposed to be in talks with a "Indian businessman" which has apparently come to nothing but says he has other buyers in the pipeline.

So if you fancy a walking holiday along the Grand Union Canal or similar now might be a good time to do it.

Like all these things there are 10 different variations of each story/truth, but not obvious who is right or wrong.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
105,000. That's an increased capacity of 98,000.
Got my calculations wrong yesterday (on the 'Accrington predictions' thread) but I think I'm right this time.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
IF they get wound up, they won't escape like we did.

The rules are now a lot stricter and they'd have to pay a lot more pennies in the pound on the CVA.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Of course 10,500 - sorry.

Most councils would be willing to work with the local sports teams, but Northampton and Northamptonshire seems at odds with this theory. The Northampton Saints rugby club wanted to put an extra 1500 seats in, but were refused, meaning that if they reach the last 8 of the European Rugby trophies they have to play home games away from Northampton (some rule about having a minimum 15,000 capacity they have played at the Ricoh and Stadium MK) - the cricket ground is reported to be up for sale and now the football club have gone walk about with money. When you think that the county also has recently lost Kettering from Rockingham Road and Rushden & Diamonds from the excellent (in terms of facilities) Nene Park, it doesn't look good.

The Cobblers manager Chris Wilder was recently linked with Rotherham, but turned it down, so i had assumed that alot of this was paper talk and maybe a solution was in the pipeline, but the clock is definitely ticking

I've just read the Chronicle article, and the worrying thing from Northampton's point of view is that the winding up order is from HMRC, who have openly declared their intention to close down a league club, as an example to all other clubs who persist in not paying their taxes. Add that to their missing millions, which were presumably lost when the building firm went bust, and I think their situation is even more perilous than ours was.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I don't want any club to go out of business, but it IS a matter of time before the HMRC gets their way in the courts. And then I think clubs up and down the country are going to get a very rude awakening. Once that door of opportunity opens for the HMRC, more will follow.

Feb 23, 2009
Players been warned they will not be paid this week. Possible new owner coming in who the TV say wants tp put in 3 to 4 million. They owe the council £10 million .Looks grim!!