Manager window? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Manager window?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Seeing most of this crap we find ourselves in was caused by Schumacher leaving us, got me thinking if we could apply the same windows to managers?

It would create a very interesting situation with clubs like Stoke, Watford, Birmingham as examples wouldn't it?

Jan 9, 2020
Would be an interesting idea - and i'm sure you'd see many more managers given a chance for long term success vs the trigger happy manager game recently.

i guess main issue would be when do you have the windows? - offseason would be fine , but a Jan manager & transfer window would cause chaos ( as we saw ourselves!), but much later than that and you'd not leave much time for a new manager to do anything before the end of the season.

Apr 3, 2006
One problem I could see with that is if a team was struggling at the wrong end of the table and the window had shut, teams wouldn't be able the sack the manager and be stuck with someone they didn't want who could get them relegated.

Reactions: Drake and Laido
Nov 18, 2011
One problem I could see with that is if a team was struggling at the wrong end of the table and the window had shut, teams wouldn't be able the sack the manager and be stuck with someone they didn't want who could get them relegated.
Likely you'd end up with a lot of managers on gardening leave and a coach without the official title of manager but really pulling the strings in charge.

There's lots of ways round a manager window

Reactions: WasthereatBury
Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
Nice idea but never going to happen. Player transfer windows are already an exceptional circumstance with European labour laws and freedom of movement. We’re more likely to see the abolition of transfer windows.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
I don’t understand the low value attached to breaking a contract. I think I said at the time the fee should have been equivalent to the cost of relegation. If Stoke had to pay 12m to grab the ex-manager it would have been a fair deal considering the timing and uncertainty.

Nov 18, 2011
But the point is, wealthier clubs couldn't poach other clubs managers mid season and screw their whole season up!
What's stopping the wealthier clubs approaching a manager and getting them to sign an agreement to take over as soon as the window opens?

As soon as their employers found out, the manager would have to go onto gardening leave/be sacked and that'd still screw the season up.

Reactions: Drake
Jan 27, 2012
I think the rule would have to be that a person could only manage one EFL club per season.

This doesn't mean that that a club couldn't fire a manager. There would no doubt be a large pool of out of work managers and coaches available throughout the year.