Just back (anyone?) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Just back (anyone?)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
samjones":11kubs4i said:
Classic smash n grab. No wonder McCall is peeved

No pretty but effective TODAY. On another occasion it could have been 4 - 1.
Parking the bus and drawing teams onto you is a very risky strategy and not something you can successfully keep up for a whole season.

Next 2 home games are critical and nothing less than 4 pts is still required
Back in 1982 when we took back South Georgia a lot of people wanted to talk about the downside of the conflict. Maggie Thatcher's response was "Just rejoice in tonight's news." Just for once spare us your negativity. Bradford are a top side in terms of league position and as the home side the onus was on them to break us down. They didn't and they couldn't. That is the only reason McCall is peeved. Just for once why don't you give an unqualified salute for a huge effort from what was in old money a great performance from 1 to 11. "it could have been 4-1" is just conjecture -1-0 to Argyle is the result history will record.

Aug 5, 2016
samjones":3r6rwbrc said:

Parking the bus and drawing teams onto you is a very risky strategy and not something you can successfully keep up for a whole season.

We did it quite a lot last season actually, and our away record was not only better than our home form, it was up there with the best away form in England. Worked at Anfield too, among the heaviest scorers in the Premier League to which even Mourinho parks the bus there.

Argyle have conceded three goals in the last 6 matches, and Remi Matthews has had three clean sheets out of his four appearances conceding one goal. Our defence kept a clean 45 with a teenage rookie in goal at Ewood Park. The boys can defend and DA's hard to beat tactics clearly work at this level when we want to protect the points.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
With Carey out I thought we'd be lucky to get nil. Therefore the only way to get anything from the game would be to jot concede. It looks like that's what we set out to do and exceeded expectations and I'm delighted.

The reaction from some just goes to show that they won't change their point of view. We were all upset with the form and results earlier on but 6 games on whether you like how we do it or not it's been nothing but wins and draws. If we stay up it will be off the back of our strong defensive record.

It's another game where it looks like we rode our luck to an extent but if adams was to blame for the poor run we were getting no luck you can't keep beating him with a different stick now.

His job is to keep us up - if we ride our luck all season and stay up he's done his job. I hope we will eventually be in a better position to build on the squad and play a different way but for now I'll take the points thanks very much.

A good day for adams and everyone associated with the club. Off the bottom and the run continues.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
memory man":3ttukopk said:
samjones":3ttukopk said:

Back in 1982 when we took back South Georgia a lot of people wanted to talk about the downside of the conflict. Maggie Thatcher's response was "Just rejoice in tonight's news." Just for once spare us your negativity. Bradford are a top side in terms of league position and as the home side the onus was on them to break us down. They didn't and they couldn't. That is the only reason McCall is peeved. Just for once why don't you give an unqualified salute for a huge effort from what was in old money a great performance from 1 to 11. "it could have been 4-1" is just conjecture -1-0 to Argyle is the result history will record.

Well said. If we can't enjoy a good result which lifts us off the bottom of the table, what's the point?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Defending is just as important as attacking and we defend very well.

Attacking is obviously more entertaining but there is a nice satisfaction in defending well and keeping a clean sheet.

Once we score first, as we have done for six games in a row, the players have something to hold onto and fight like hell to keep a clean sheet.

Aug 2, 2011
The only thing that counts is the result. The most beautiful football which does not deliver a positive result is of no interest. We and all teams are measured by the result. Today we won - well done team and well done DA.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There's also a lot to be said for building foundations in defence.

You get the defence right and you only have to score one goal to win a game.

A team built primarily on attack at this level, is a castle built on sand. I think Adams is going about it the right way, given the players and budget available.

Now, can we get the formula right at home? Two massive games coming up.

Oct 31, 2015
BantamChris":2m0550v8 said:
Bradford fan here. Just to say well done today. We threw everything at you but couldn’t get the breakthrough. Brilliant defending.

Obviously disappointed we didn’t get anything from the game, especially with all the pressure and the penalty, but credit where it’s due. I have a soft spot for Plymouth and hope you start climbing the league now. Too big a club to be down at the bottom.

See you in the cup!

All the best,

Chris.

Thanks BC nice to have an opposition fan on here. We have really struggled since promotion and been on a terrible run of 9 defeats and draw but the team are now 6 unbeaten and turning a corner. Heres to the cup game (McCall wont be caught out twice) and best of luck for the season you will be up there at the end.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
It was a brilliant defensive display.

Ainsworth, who was pretty ineffectual in the first half, laid on a perfect cross for Jerky to poke in from a few yards out. That was our only real attack in the first half.

Throughout the game, Bradford, passed it around, but increasingly began to look for chances to shoot from thirty yards out, and, well let's say they didn't have their shooting boots on. Mathews, apart from saving the penalty, also made two other good saves, tipping over the two shots which were on target.

We had no idea why the penalty was given. The Bradford fans I met after the game were equally bemused, and they were sat in the end where the penalty was given !

The ref carded three of ours in the first half when only one was merited in my opinion. He booked another after half time. None of their players saw yellow I don't think.

Nice atmosphere at Valley Parade. Season tickets at £149 and kids who register for £10 get in free. So, result ? You get the best part of 20K in every game.

Summary, good result, squeaky bum performance, but heroic in many ways. We are better at defending than attacking at the moment, that's for sure.

Aug 10, 2006
Biggs":b3owtrsa said:

A team built primarily on attack at this level, is a castle built on sand. I think Adams is going about it the right way, given the players and budget available.

works well unless they score 2 it's a dangerous game to play but as I said we got away with it today.

Aug 10, 2006
Dreamgreen":1tlx8q68 said:
It was a brilliant defensive display.

Ainsworth, who was pretty ineffectual in the first half, laid on a perfect cross for Jerky to poke in from a few yards out. That was our only real attack in the first half.

Throughout the game, Bradford, passed it around, but increasingly began to look for chances to shoot from thirty yards out, and, well let's say they didn't have their shooting boots on. Mathews, apart from saving the penalty, also made two other good saves, tipping over the two shots which were on target.

We had no idea why the penalty was given. The Bradford fans I met after the game were equally bemused, and they were sat in the end where the penalty was given !

The ref carded three of ours in the first half when only one was merited in my opinion. He booked another after half time. None of their players saw yellow I don't think.

Nice atmosphere at Valley Parade. Season tickets at £149 and kids who register for £10 get in free. So, result ? You get the best part of 20K in every game.

Summary, good result, squeaky bum performance, but heroic in many ways. We are better at defending than attacking at the moment, that's for sure.
there was no atmosphere first half.

Aug 5, 2016
loyal1970":3fghte5e said:
Biggs":3fghte5e said:

works well unless they score 2 it's a dangerous game to play but as I said we got away with it today.

I think the tactics and the formula is to make sure everyone marks their men, sticks to the formation and doesn't go missing. If Argyle do that as a unit with no individual mistakes, why would we concede two goals?

Argyle set out with the objective of not conceding, and the three clean sheets in six matches are testament to that. Meanwhile Argyle have scored 6 goals against sides far higher than us in the table.

Dec 21, 2010
Just back and SO Proud! This wasn't a backs to the wall away to Bristol Rovers, Wigan or Blackburn result, but a VERY committed and professional display from a team growing in confidence. A very happy and very tired Janner right now !

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Finally back in Plymouth. That's a long long trip by coach.

We definitely didn't go to park the bus early on, we let them have possession but we still looked dangerous, Grant & Ainsworth caused problems while our strong midfield dominated the middle of the park. The goal was beautiful, Fox threading a through ball to Ainsworth, who provided a crisp low cross which Jervis just needed to prod in. We continued to get forward but just couldn't seem to find another opening in the first half, Matthews made a couple of very good saves from distance.

Second half we did drop a bit but pleasingly, we didn't drop deep enough for them to be able to keep the ball in and around our box, and we also continued to look like a threat on the break, Fox with an effort that nearly went through the keeper & a couple of other half chances. Bradford had to rely on mainly long range efforts, and one rattled the bar, heart in mouth moment. I had absolutely no idea what the penalty was given for (and after watching the highlights I still have no idea), I initially thought the ref had given the goal, Matthews pulled off a superb save! We kept them out from then on & we actually came the closest in the last 10, Grant with an effort that fizzled wide, Diagouraga managed to get the ball in the corner & he did well to keep it there for a while.

Great scenes in the away end at full time between fans, players and management.

There's no doubt that we are turning a corner, we just need to make sure it fully materialises. There were really positive signs in today's performance, as well as a near perfect defensive, we put together some great moves as well at times, and all of this against a very good team who I'd expect to be promoted this season.

Matthews was obviously excellent. The back 4 held strong. Our midfielders were outstanding, Fox, Diagouraga and Songo'o. On the wings, Grant & Ainsworth troubled them. Sarcevic kept the ball really well when he came on.

Special mention for Jake Jervis who put in a tremendous shift.

Matthews - 9
Sawyer - 7
Edwards - 8
Bradley - 8
Sinclair - 7
Songo'o - 8
Diagouraga - 8
Fox - 8
Grant - 8
Ainsworth - 7
Jervis - 8

Sarcevic - 7
Blissett - NA

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Thank you Cobi, much appreciated: now you & all of the other long-distance travellers can get some well-deserved rest!