John Terry's Farewell - Subbed On 26 Minutes | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

John Terry's Farewell - Subbed On 26 Minutes

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
The-Pilgrim":7z0tw4ga said:
The thing that got me is that David Moyes agreed Sunderland would put the ball out in the 26th minute! This needs to be looked at and made clear that it can't happen again.

As regards Moyes and Sunderland ... it will not happen again!! ;)

Feb 2, 2007
don't you have testimonials for this type of pathetic sentimentality.

I'd be sickened if say Christian Burgess from Pompey was given the same treatment in a game by us.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
nick_PASTIE":3hcwh7fz said:

I'd be sickened if say Christian Burgess from Pompey was given the same treatment in a game by us.
Christian Burgess isn't a Pompey legend who's won almost everything with the club and been there almost the entirety of his career. Which also answers some of the points made above. It's not likely to happen again any time soon, because there are very few players in a similar position to Terry. It was a nothing game for both clubs and had been agreed by both clubs. What's pathetic, is people who have no link to it getting annoyed by it.

May 16, 2016
Two clubs whose seasons had been completed. Nothing riding on the game as such, so it shouldn't have been a problem, however, I read that Bookies had taken bets on it ? Not quite so noble then.

Sep 6, 2006
Argy1e":1ask0eyw said:
nick_PASTIE":1ask0eyw said:

Christian Burgess isn't a Pompey legend who's won almost everything with the club and been there almost the entirety of his career. Which also answers some of the points made above. It's not likely to happen again any time soon, because there are very few players in a similar position to Terry. It was a nothing game for both clubs and had been agreed by both clubs. What's pathetic, is people who have no link to it getting annoyed by it.

What's pathetic is a guy with such a big ego that he organised this himself. Is he bigger than the game, bigger than the club?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I've got no problem with John Terry, in fact I think he's one of the all time Premier League greats, what I do have a problem with is two football clubs undermining and disrespecting the league they play in by willingly stopping a game at a prearranged point, the fact that Sunderland were down and Chelsea were champions is irrelevant, it's still a competitive league game, not a testimonial. This is the sort of thing to be done before a match, at half time or after a match. Would like to see both clubs fined but obviously won't happen.

Apr 12, 2016
I don't particularly have anything against Terry but just thought what happened was cheesy, crass and a bit vomit enducing. As I said I hope this isn't the start of a new trend coming into the Premiership because after all where does it end ? Special occasion strips ? Tina Turner's Simply The best being played as walks off ? What if two Chelsea greats were ending their career yesterday - would we have to stop the game twice or visibly celebrate the other player in some way elsewhere in the game ?

The other thing that springs to my mind is if I had had his great career at one club I would want to stay on the pitch for the whole game and enjoy each moment. He has the rest of his life to NOT be a Chelsea player. Why end it that early seemingly just for some ego trip.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge":25gg1oi2 said:
I've got no problem with John Terry, in fact I think he's one of the all time Premier League greats, what I do have a problem with is two football clubs undermining and disrespecting the league they play in by willingly stopping a game at a prearranged point, the fact that Sunderland were down and Chelsea were champions is irrelevant, it's still a competitive league game, not a testimonial. This is the sort of thing to be done before a match, at half time or after a match. Would like to see both clubs fined but obviously won't happen.
How can a game where neither team has anything to compete for be considered a competitive league game? Neither team could even change position.

I agree, it wasn't the best way to do it, but in terms of "Organising it" all he did was ask to be subbed off, the rest was organised by his team mates.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Argy1e":1yn8wb36 said:
Cobi Budge":1yn8wb36 said:
How can a game where neither team has anything to compete for be considered a competitive league game? Neither team could even change position.

I agree, it wasn't the best way to do it, but in terms of "Organising it" all he did was ask to be subbed off, the rest was organised by his team mates.

Haven't got an issue with subbing him off or the guard of honour, it's the fact that Sunderland were asked to kick the ball out and they agreed.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":27uvzaic said:
Argy1e":27uvzaic said:
Cobi Budge":27uvzaic said:

Haven't got an issue with subbing him off or the guard of honour, it's the fact that Sunderland were asked to kick the ball out and they agreed.

Sunderland were given the ball back and the time it all took was added on before the half time whistle. Where is there a problem?

The only people who might have a problem are bookmakers but if they are stupid enough and greedy enough to open books concerning throw-ins and substitution timings then more fool them.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":15uw6nx3 said:
Cobi Budge":15uw6nx3 said:
Argy1e":15uw6nx3 said:
Cobi Budge":15uw6nx3 said:

Sunderland were given the ball back and the time it all took was added on before the half time whistle. Where is there a problem?

The only people who might have a problem are bookmakers but if they are stupid enough and greedy enough to open books concerning throw-ins and substitution timings then more fool them.

You obviously don't get the concept of the principle of respecting the integrity of a football match. You didn't answer my earlier question? Where does this all stop?

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":2in1oedm said:
Argy1e":2in1oedm said:
Cobi Budge":2in1oedm said:

Contradicting yourself YET again. You say it should; 'be done before a match etc' then say you don't have a problem with it!

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 30, 2003
Balham_Green":1k8me4wa said:
Lundan Cabbie":1k8me4wa said:
Cobi Budge":1k8me4wa said:
Argy1e":1k8me4wa said:
Cobi Budge":1k8me4wa said:

You obviously don't get the concept of the principle of respecting the integrity of a football match. You didn't answer my earlier question? Where does this all stop?

I think we have found the cabbies 'big' club.

Nov 4, 2012
This incident was disgraceful and epitomized everything wrong with the PrĀ£miĀ£r LĀ£aguĀ£. If I were a Sunderland fan at that game I'd have flipped my lid. Moyes is a grade A mam. If I was the Sunderland manager in that situation I'd have used it as an incentive for the players to score in the 26th minute.