Jamille Matt | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jamille Matt

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
He has scored 3 goals in 32 games for Blackpool, I don't think he is what Argyle need, plus he is a Blackpool player so it would cost us to sign him

Jun 11, 2012
X Isle":tqc6elu7 said:
HarlHM":tqc6elu7 said:
In League Two potentially, but better must be available.
Better is available, but not to us, we're not p1ssing away money we don't have.

We must go for best available, and Jamille might just be that.
If he is I'd be extremely surprised. I didn't rate him as highly as most people on here though - yourself included I assume.

I'd liken signing him to signing Wylde. If we had done it last year, fine, but we're in a better league against cleverer defenders this time round and need more than decent League Two signings.

There'll be a lot of Premier League and Championship teams eager to give game time to fringe players for minimal wage contribution. The risk is that most of those will be young and unproven, but I'd much rather that than Jamille Matt. Loans are incredibly effective for sides like us; some of our best players in recent times have been....

Apr 29, 2016
If he's not good enough for Blackpool he's not good enough for us. Best value for money has got to be a loan starlet, we've just got to be a little patient.

Jul 29, 2010
HarlHM":3cj9ury8 said:
X Isle":3cj9ury8 said:
HarlHM":3cj9ury8 said:

If he is I'd be extremely surprised. I didn't rate him as highly as most people on here though - yourself included I assume.

I'd liken signing him to signing Wylde. If we had done it last year, fine, but we're in a better league against cleverer defenders this time round and need more than decent League Two signings.

There'll be a lot of Premier League and Championship teams eager to give game time to fringe players for minimal wage contribution. The risk is that most of those will be young and unproven, but I'd much rather that than Jamille Matt. Loans are incredibly effective for sides like us; some of our best players in recent times have been....
I didn't actually rate him that highly as an individual Harl, no.

But he fitted DA's preferred tactics and formation like every other player we have to Google when they first arrive. Unspectacular previous records as they often have, off the radar of most, DA has a habit of finding a square peg for a square hole. Matt was just that.

I'm not going to pretend I am a great fan of his somewhat inflexible formation and tactics, I'm not going to pretend that I think Jamille Matt is a worldly of a forward. But combined, and as a fully paid up member of the sustainability set, I can see a great deal of sense in signing him...subject to fitness etc. , an undoubted question mark.

If a player makes a system work in one place then what he's done, or not done, somewhere else matters very little. I was disappointed with him that he didn't come back last season and chose Blackpool. But he was living up there and it was much closer to home so I can perhaps forgive that perhaps perceived slight to Argyle, especially if in so doing he's learnt the importance of what a specific manager and a specific system can do to benefit him.

So long as another striker, someone in another mold, can also be added I would see Matt as a good acquisition. Right now any injury to Blissett will leave this system without a fulcrum, a vital part of the jigsaw. And like it or lump it that is our system.

Mar 23, 2008
X Isle":xry2hoi9 said:
HarlHM":xry2hoi9 said:
X Isle":xry2hoi9 said:
HarlHM":xry2hoi9 said:

I didn't actually rate him that highly as an individual Harl, no.

But he fitted DA's preferred tactics and formation like every other player we have to Google when they first arrive. Unspectacular previous records as they often have, off the radar of most, DA has a habit of finding a square peg for a square hole. Matt was just that.

I'm not going to pretend I am a great fan of his somewhat inflexible formation and tactics, I'm not going to pretend that I think Jamille Matt is a worldly of a forward. But combined, and as a fully paid up member of the sustainability set, I can see a great deal of sense in signing him...subject to fitness etc. , an undoubted question mark.

If a player makes a system work in one place then what he's done, or not done, somewhere else matters very little. I was disappointed with him that he didn't come back last season and chose Blackpool. But he was living up there and it was much closer to home so I can perhaps forgive that perhaps perceived slight to Argyle, especially if in so doing he's learnt the importance of what a specific manager and a specific system can do to benefit him.

So long as another striker, someone in another mold, can also be added I would see Matt as a good acquisition. Right now any injury to Blissett will leave this system without a fulcrum, a vital part of the jigsaw. And like it or lump it that is our system.
Mostly lump it, up to Matt and hope it sticks. Where's Hector Heathcote when you need him?

Mar 14, 2009
Saw him home and away.

He played very well in the playoffs against Pompey. He had other fine games, including Exeter away.

I remember that season how we were struggling with Reid to hold it upfront. How isolated our forwards were. Then in came Matt who actually did a job for the team. He managed, on very little service, to often keep two centre backs really busy.

Yes he isn't prolific but he did score a number of crucial goals. l think some of the comments on him are quite harsh considering some of the limitations we had in that team, barring Carey, as a forward unit. Maybe it's because of how it all ended against Wimbledon that is the lasting memory of him and that season.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Broc's Pilgrimage":okgs798d said:
philmeboots":okgs798d said:
If he's not good enough for Blackpool he's not good enough for us. Best value for money has got to be a loan starlet, we've just got to be a little patient.

This for me:)

bullpoo statement and shallow opinion.

Players are different from one another and have attributes that suit certain style of football. Blackpool may not have played to his strengths upfront.

Carrol never really cut it at Liverpool because of the style of football they played but he proved himself at Newcastle and now at West Ham, fitness permitting.

Apr 29, 2016
Tugboat":2n0aevk2 said:
Broc's Pilgrimage":2n0aevk2 said:
philmeboots":2n0aevk2 said:

Players are different from one another and have attributes that suit certain style of football. Blackpool may not have played to his strengths upfront.

Carrol never really cut it at Liverpool because of the style of football they played but he proved himself at Newcastle and now at West Ham, fitness permitting.

A football forum is all about opinions and your abuse about my opinion makes you even more shallow. I assume that you're referring to Carroll; perhaps Carrol was his wife? Either way I'm not sure about the analogy. My belief is that Matt was nothing special and there are far better options available on loan. The game against Charlton proved that we've moved on from "lumping it up to the big man." Going back where you've been before rarely works.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
philmeboots":2k2v2hl7 said:
Tugboat":2k2v2hl7 said:
Broc's Pilgrimage":2k2v2hl7 said:
philmeboots":2k2v2hl7 said:

A football forum is all about opinions and your abuse about my opinion makes you even more shallow. I assume that you're referring to Carroll; perhaps Carrol was his wife? Either way I'm not sure about the analogy. My belief is that Matt was nothing special and there are far better options available on loan. The game against Charlton proved that we've moved on from "lumping it up to the big man." Going back where you've been before rarely works.

In your opinion.

Which is still bollocks.

Jul 29, 2010
I agree with Tuggers....on opinion but not on tone :facepalm:

Sometimes a player doesn't click at one club but do at another, for many reasons but primarily what system they play and how they are used within that system. In this scenario Blackpool don't play DA's system.

To just say because it isn't working at one club it won't work here is just a bit binary. There are soooo many variables and if you can spot something in a player that fits what you need then go get him, especially if you can see that other clubs aren't utilising his strengths.

Trigger was a player whose stock was falling, Cocko was a 'problem child' to his then manager, Buster was rapidly distancing himself from the potential of his early career and Romain/Friio were released having been relegated into the semi-pro level of French football.

Scouting and recruitment is all about spotting something you need that others can't see or haven't seen yet. Adams' set up has already found a few outwardly unpromising recruits and turned them into valuable team assets, JJ, Sonny, Carey, and Fox are the obvious ones but from the more recent crop Sarcevic and Edwards look like they could have more than they demonstrated at their last clubs. ALL those players, Luggy's and Adams, were "not good enough" for their previous clubs.

So i don't agree with your assessment Phil just as I don't agree with Tuggers response to it. Hopefully this response is more articulate and far less blunt.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Didn't mean to come across so ignorantly and rude so I apologise for the way I worded my post.