Jack Payne (in talks, possibly) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Payne (in talks, possibly)

Sep 8, 2013
Hope we are not forced to pay beyond our realistic price. He went to Orient and they slipped rather towards the end of last season, so is he really an effective League Two midfielder/the effective League Two central dynamo we need? I do not know the player, so cannot answer my own questions, but I fear that we may spend beyond what is sensible unless DA is sure that he is the man for the job.

Sep 6, 2006
jerryatricjanner":31zpxbmd said:
Well he does have experience and we do need a leader. I don't see any candidates in the squad at present apart from one of the new defenders perhaps.

So you know the 'candidates' well?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I would be very disappointed for a new signing to be given the armband. But for his history, it'd hands down be Luke. So with that in mind, has to be Gary Sawyer unless DA see's Purrington being first choice at LB this year.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Balham_Green":10hyxa3t said:
jerryatricjanner":10hyxa3t said:
Well he does have experience and we do need a leader. I don't see any candidates in the squad at present apart from one of the new defenders perhaps.

So you know the 'candidates' well?
Confrontational as ever Balham. Of course I don't but we lacked a leader last season so on the face of it it comes down to one of the new boys. As far as I am aware none of them have a history of captaincy and most of the defenders haven't had too much game time in recent seasons. So just as a fan on a fans message board it was my observation or opinion that maybe our new captain hasn't joined yet, that's all.

Jul 29, 2010
Could be wrong but i'm sure I read over their introductory articles that Osborne, Miller and Bulvitis have all had previous captaincy experience.

But as i've said previously on the captaincy situation DA would be best served just sitting back and watching the group. A natural leader will always emerge from any group, especially a group of men. It's far better to have that pecking order settled naturally than having a leader imposed.

So whilst you're right JJ, we may not have signed our captain yet, it would also be nuts to give the captaincy away as a contract sweetner. He could be a pish leader and/or the rest if the group might not accept his leadership which is how cliques form.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Not disputing several players will have had some captaincy experience covering others etc. but most of the new defenders don't seem to play week in week out looking at their appearance records in recent seasons. I'm sure Adams will work out the best of the bunch whether it be a face still to sign or not. There just doesn't seem to be a stand out candidate at present, not to me anyway.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
greenwelly":vr8kczb5 said:
Hope we are not forced to pay beyond our realistic price. He went to Orient and they slipped rather towards the end of last season, so is he really an effective League Two midfielder/the effective League Two central dynamo we need? I do not know the player, so cannot answer my own questions, but I fear that we may spend beyond what is sensible unless DA is sure that he is the man for the job.

Well we 'slipped rather', which one of our players was it that singlehandedly caused that slip?

That question can't really be answered and, if it was answered, many people's answers would differ.

So ... how can Payne be 'blamed' for Orient's 'slip' and how can that mean we shouldn't sign him?

Only three things really matter:

Ability
Attitude
Fitness

Sadly we have to add a fourth:
Price

but you have to judge a player by what you see, not what you hear, not what 'they' say!

Sep 8, 2013
Pogleswoody":1wgrqq29 said:
greenwelly":1wgrqq29 said:

Well we 'slipped rather', which one of our players was it that singlehandedly caused that slip?

That question can't really be answered and, if it was answered, many people's answers would differ.

So ... how can Payne be 'blamed' for Orient's 'slip' and how can that mean we shouldn't sign him?

Ability
Attitude
Fitness

Price

but you have to judge a player by what you see, not what you hear, not what 'they' say!

Fair points I will admit. And I do hope that DA & his team are now aware of what is needed in midfield for the upcoming season. So I will bow to their judgement.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
greenwelly":3nbe6hbk said:
Pogleswoody":3nbe6hbk said:
greenwelly":3nbe6hbk said:

Ability
Attitude
Fitness

Price

Fair points I will admit. And I do hope that DA & his team are now aware of what is needed in midfield for the upcoming season. So I will bow to their judgement.

I knew you'd see sense!! ;) :lol:

Sep 8, 2013
Pogleswoody":3drl6qcn said:
greenwelly":3drl6qcn said:
Pogleswoody":3drl6qcn said:
greenwelly":3drl6qcn said:

Ability
Attitude
Fitness

Price

I knew you'd see sense!! ;) :lol:
My main points really were price (great if he comes within budget) and suitability for the task required (ie being a dominant force in a league two midfield. I have no idea as to how effective be was playing in our division for Leyton Orient.

Nov 22, 2006
Quintrell_Green":1w7iqyxj said:
There is continuing silence about this possibility. It reminds me of the saying 'No gain without pain/payne'

I was starting to wonder if we are assuming this rumour is dead in the water, having spoke to a Posh supporting mate of mine sounds like he would be an excellent addition

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think we've probably tables an offer and he's weighing things up. No doubt he's got other offers to mule over.