In the (unlikely) event.. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

In the (unlikely) event..

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
r4h4al":f7skz1w6 said:
Ok. So why did it go "wrong" then before Holloway left, it's not like we overspent is it, we did the opposite and were very prudent, at least that's what we all thought.

It went wrong when the crowds disappeared and we thought we could employ £10000 a week Mpenza. The icing on the cake was the failed World Cup bid but it only brought about our demise earlier.

Having said that, there is more financial rewards in the championship now but whether it would make up for what we need only next season will tell.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
r4h4al":2m167l2e said:
I agree but signing Mpenza and the World cup plans were after Holloway left not before he left.

You are correct. Holloway supposedly left after we didn't get Vaughn in to push us into the Premier League. Saying that, the problems will always be the same. If we get into the Championship we may need to bounce up and down for a few years to save up the extra cash to mount a proper challenge. We just won't sustain the crowds for the Championship for long enough.

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Ade the green":348exfpc said:
r4h4al":348exfpc said:
I agree but signing Mpenza and the World cup plans were after Holloway left not before he left.

You are correct. Holloway supposedly left after we didn't get Vaughn in to push us into the Premier League. Saying that, the problems will always be the same. If we get into the Championship we may need to bounce up and down for a few years to save up the extra cash to mount a proper challenge. We just won't sustain the crowds for the Championship for long enough.

If we get the timing correct which for me would be the New Mayflower stand (with the corners filled in) being ready for the first season back in the Championship, then I think we could sustain 20k average gates. Look at Wigan, Hull, Cardiff, Swansea all built new stadium (in our case we are finishing off our stadium 16/17 years after the first phase was completed), for these clubs the impetus for achieving promotion through to the Championship and ultimately the PL were new stadiums and sustained investment in the team, for instance I don't remember Phil Brown spending big fees to get Hull into the PL