Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm) | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm)

Aug 5, 2005
Lundan Cabbie":35416gm3 said:
gaspargomez":35416gm3 said:
IJN":35416gm3 said:
My only take on the hybrid is that it does save us (PAFC) money and if I were JB I'd have done exactly the same. It just makes sense in several ways.

Mixing the grandstand refurbishment in with the other development slows down and complicates the planning process.

If the grandstand development was submitted as a separate planning application it could save a great deal of time and controversy. Quite possibly it would have had planning permission by now.

Any delays in the grandstand refurbishment will cost the club money, which is likely to be insignificant in comparison to the cost of submitting two separate planning applications. It doesn't cost THAT much money to submit a planning application for a relatively simple thing like a grandstand refurbishment- probably less than Nadir Ciftci's wages for a week. Bear in mind that the plans/drawings etc have already been prepared as part of the larger application.

The club could submit this now and let the Council make a decision on both applications at the same time.

There seems to be an assumption that the refurb application just has to be rubber stamped. If I were a planning officer I would be particularly concerned with how the plans deal with the asbestos in the current structure rather than the new buildings in the plan.

I've seen asbestos talked about elsewhere and I can't work out why people think it's a massive deal. If it need to be removed, we use an asbestos removal company. If it doesn't need to be disturbed, it remains. It's not lie we've never known it's there.

50% of buildings still have asbestos in them. If your ceiling is artexed it's got asbestos in it. It perfectly safe until it's disturbed.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/ ... lth-hazard

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can remember the demolition of the Lyndhurst was delayed for a little while whilst the asbestos was dealt with, I think it was a matter of a week.

I agree with you Mike, I don't think it will be an impediment to the planning process.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Some drawings and images have been added to the PCC planning website.

Highways England have submitted a new letter and offer no objection to the development and Sports England, subject to clarification on uses of the ice rink and football community changing rooms, raise no objection to the application.

May 8, 2011
Green Dogg":tg32qm24 said:
I am seeing on other Argyle related ā€œchat spacesā€ that the FOURTH set of planning application amendments have been submitted ??

Whatā€™s the truth on this ........ there was so much debate in the past ?

Anyone know ?

The latest documents posted are tweaks and amendments to the scheme requested by the Councilā€™s planning department.
The main change is the reconfiguration of the Hotel on the Western Gateway site, to improve access and pedestrians safety but there is no change to the overall footprint of the site.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

ā€œit will take time to build the rink and it is therefore more likely he will develop the Millbay side of the Pavilions site first.ā€

WTF?? I know Brent promised transparency many years ago, But even I never thought itā€™d be so easy to see right through him.

How does the above statement make any sense? There will be a virtual blank canvas to build an Ice Rink on once the pre-fabs are blown over!

Of course what he really means is.....ā€™Millbay is where Iā€™m going to make my real fortune, so the Ice Rink can waitā€™. :whistle:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-o ... led-845370

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I really don't get that??? The story seems to contradict itself in so many ways.

The Colin Campbell Court end canā€™t be re-developed until we have moved the ice, but we are hoping to move forward with that quickly.

He said work could start on the grandstand and rink in 2018.

But any development on the Western Approach side of the leisure complex wouldnā€™t be able to take place until after Mr Brent has built a new ice rink at Plymouth Argyleā€™s Home Park ground.

We have been in talks with contractors to start work fairly soon after the granting of planning permission,ā€ Mr Brent said. ā€œIf we get planning consent before Christmas we can start work at Home Park in the first quarter of 2018.

ā€œAfter the grandstand we could get the ice built by mid-2019.

ā€œWe want to crack on with Home Park and the ice rink as soon as possible.

Oh and as you are obviously a wizard at finance, what do you make of this then?

Mr Brent acquired the Pavilions site in 2012.

At that time the operation was making a loss of about Ā£1.7million a year and Mr Brent said the venue was propped up via previous owner Plymouth City Councilā€™s grant funding.

But he said the Pavilions now turns in a ā€œsmallā€ profit.

He said this came from a ā€œbetter usage of the facilityā€ and ā€œsmartā€ ideas from the management, such as VIP offers and even insurance coverage for people unable to attend gigs theyā€™d already paid for.

As a Plymouth Citizen, I'm quite chuffed that the man is saving us this money. White Elephant? Well it isn't now?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The Grumpy Loyal":2qjaa98b said:
ā€œit will take time to build the rink and it is therefore more likely he will develop the Millbay side of the Pavilions site first.ā€

WTF?? I know Brent promised transparency many years ago, But even I never thought itā€™d be so easy to see right through him.

How does the above statement make any sense? There will be a virtual blank canvas to build an Ice Rink on once the pre-fabs are blown over!

Of course what he really means is.....ā€™Millbay is where Iā€™m going to make my real fortune, so the Ice Rink can waitā€™. :whistle:

I read that as 'it will take more time to build on the rink side of the Pavilions because they have to build one at HP first. Whereas the other side of the Pavilions is just a car park and easy to get started with sooner'

Seems to make perfect sense. No?

Aug 5, 2015
So what if he makes money out of the Pavilions site. Maybe heā€™ll be able to put more into the football club. Who knows, certainly nobody who is not a property developer. Itā€™ll also be good for an area of the city that looks like a tidied up bomb site.

C

CADMAN

Kentishgreen":2qlsoile said:
So what if he makes money out of the Pavilions site. Maybe heā€™ll be able to put more into the football club. Who knows, certainly nobody who is not a property developer. Itā€™ll also be good for an area of the city that looks like a tidied up bomb site.
I am sure James has always said the football club needs to stand on its own feet. Anyway, he only owns half of P.A.F.C.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Biggs":qi48j63i said:
The Grumpy Loyal":qi48j63i said:

I read that as 'it will take more time to build on the rink side of the Pavilions because they have to build one at HP first. Whereas the other side of the Pavilions is just a car park and easy to get started with sooner'

Are you serious? The Pavilions Ice Rink is being KNOCKED DOWN. The only ice rink allegedly being ā€˜builtā€™, is at HHP.

Oct 24, 2010
The Grumpy Loyal":2ui9xsn5 said:
Biggs":2ui9xsn5 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2ui9xsn5 said:

Are you serious? The Pavilions Ice Rink is being KNOCKED DOWN. The only ice rink allegedly being ā€˜builtā€™, is at HHP.
I don't think you understand. He can't demolish the Pavilions ice rink until the new ice rink at HHP is up and running. It's a planning condition.

Oct 24, 2010
Biggs":125fgg1p said:
The Grumpy Loyal":125fgg1p said:

I think it makes perfect sense to most people