Have a go? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Have a go?

Jul 12, 2016
I give up. In case you are in any doubt I don't rate him as a manager and will need a lot more convincing before I change my opinion.

May 8, 2011
oldage":10z8kpjd said:
I give up. In case you are in any doubt I don't rate him as a manager and will need a lot more convincing before I change my opinion.

If you don’t rate him with his career record I hate to think how you rate the other 91 managers!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don't think we came into league 1 planning to play this kind of football. Look back to Peterborough, we definitely didn't park the bus in that game, in fact we looked the more dangerous team. However I just think we misjudged the step up in quality, if you leave gaps you'll get punished in this league, whereas in League 2 you often won't. It isn't pretty but the football we're playing at the moment is the football we need to be playing to stay up.

Apr 5, 2008
Knibbsworth":3i4545tb said:
Someone tell Danny Murphy that Blackpool under Ian Holloway were the epitome of playing all out attacking football with a team of underdogs.

They are the one team who got relegated instantly and never bounced back, unlike the clubs who adopted a more pragmatic style e.g. Burnley, Watford, Crystal Palace, WBA etc.

So much easier sitting in a studio and acting the expert than putting your ideas on the line. Mark Lawrenson similarly has a lot to say but doesn't tend to bring his managerial record into discussions. Nor Alan Shearer.

Mark Lawrenson is useless,in that Bbc predictor game he does ,he never ever has Liverpool down to lose a game,just a win or a draw every time.Not biased then Mark :doh:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":7dzlx8g3 said:
I don't think we came into league 1 planning to play this kind of football. Look back to Peterborough, we definitely didn't park the bus in that game, in fact we looked the more dangerous team. However I just think we misjudged the step up in quality, if you leave gaps you'll get punished in this league, whereas in League 2 you often won't. It isn't pretty but the football we're playing at the moment is the football we need to be playing to stay up.

Totally agree Cobi. The first few games were very attacking but ultimately unsuccessful. We need to pick up points and this style is doing that now.

Jul 29, 2010
oldage":21f2ppmk said:
DA prides himself on his obsession with planning and analysing every game. He reminds me of graduates with First class honours who have no common sense.
He has tunnel vision. If the theory says it will work , it will work. Unfortunately you cannot "make silk out of a pig's ear" He is working with average players and trying to impose tactics which are probably way above their understanding.Having everybody back to defend a corner and letting the opposition have the ball in the first half at home probably goes down with the players as well as it does with the fans
Those will presumably be the very same players who know full well that teams under DA, in England and Scotland, have achieved far more than the sum of their constituent parts. Players who have a Wembley appearance and a promotion on their CV that they wouldn't otherwise have thanks to that.

Likewise those will be the very same players who, whatever else gets used as blame, have NEVER given anything less than 100% for Derek Adams, a manager they would presumably resent if your hypothesis were correct. That contradictory response from them is illogical, it doesn't stack up.

With very few exceptions we have a team of otherwise average players, accumulated during a budget restraint period. He is getting a quart out of a pint pot and their effort and tactical adherence to his ways demonstrate that they are, to a man, fully signed up to his style and tactics.

I have consistently gone on record as saying I don't personally like the formation and tactics, especially at home I think they are too cautious, negative and they are uninspiring to watch. But I accept them because I know full well that are players are not good enough* to play open and expansive football and get better results than they have to date.

* That is not a criticism but an observation. I am fully signed up to budget restraint and self sufficiency.