Galloway and Miller not involved? | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Galloway and Miller not involved?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
The odds on relegation are 10/1 against - the statistical models give us a less than 2 per cent chance of relegation: We are not out of the woods entirely - but the phrase “in the balance” implies we still have a 50/50 chance of relegation and it is nothing close to that
The models won't have had us beating Leicester and Blackburn beating Leeds. Anything can happen at this point in the season. Everyone below us has a fixture they'll be optimistic about winning this weekend. If we don't win at Stoke, and I'd say we're probably not that likely to win given our away form this season, then we're likely to be 1/2 points above the relegation zone with two games to go. The percentages given by the models at that point will be very different if that does happen.

Jan 6, 2004
The models won't have had us beating Leicester and Blackburn beating Leeds. Anything can happen at this point in the season. Everyone below us has a fixture they'll be optimistic about winning this weekend. If we don't win at Stoke, and I'd say we're probably not that likely to win given our away form this season, then we're likely to be 1/2 points above the relegation zone with two games to go. The percentages given by the models at that point will be very different if that does happen.
Of course, if we lose and everyone else wins the odds change (although we will still, with our GD, be effectively 2 points clear with 2 games to go). But that is in itself unlikely, and we are talking about the chances now.

Mar 11, 2018
Sums up the world we live in. No such thing as loyalty any more. Grab what you can while you can☹️
So, does 'loyalty' mean:

1. No player signed to any club should ever elect to leave that club on expiry of their contract?
2. No club that signs a player should ever release a player on the expiry of their contract?

Or, is it OK for clubs to grab and ditch whatever player they can while the players have to take what they're given?
If so you're not talking about club loyalty but hypocrisy and exploitation.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
So you think 2 out of Birmingham, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday will pick up points yet we won't? We're all as bad as each other. I think tomorrow is when our safety is secured.

Jul 12, 2016
So, does 'loyalty' mean:

1. No player signed to any club should ever elect to leave that club on expiry of their contract?
2. No club that signs a player should ever release a player on the expiry of their contract?

Or, is it OK for clubs to grab and ditch whatever player they can while the players have to take what they're given?
Unsurprisingly you choose to ignore the whole point I was trying to make. No mention of the fact that my comment was in response to the way the club supported an injured player by giving him an extended contract. As always our views seem to be polar opposites

Reactions: greenpig27
Jul 12, 2016
Very small risk!!!

I'd like some of what you are having.

Just because we beat Leicester, it doesn't mean we are now invincible. We still have to get the job done.

If we lose the next two, which is quite possible, then we may have a job on our hands if Hull need the three points to get into the play-offs.

What an end to the season that would be.
The stuff of nightmares!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012

That was Oldie's point, we did NOT do that, we re-signed him during a bad injury lay up whilst he nor PAFC had a scooby if he'd make it back.

Jan 6, 2004
To be fair to Jim and Oldage, they have probably lived through one too many Argyle end of season collapses. Objectively though, we are very nearly safe and the club should be planning for life in the Championship next season.

Reactions: oldage
Mar 11, 2018
Unsurprisingly you choose to ignore the whole point I was trying to make. No mention of the fact that my comment was in response to the way the club supported an injured player by giving him an extended contract. As always our views seem to be polar opposites
No, I saw that comment. I ignored it because I thought it was characteristically naive and sanctimonious of you to think that the club did that out of the goodness of its heart, as opposed to calculating correctly, as it turned out, that a fit-again Galloway would be a big asset in the Championship.

I was watching a passage of play involving him against Leicester, and he's was really relentless in ball hunting. Worth every penny if we can keep him fit, which he has been of late. I hope he signs up with us - and Miller too.
That was Oldie's point, we did NOT do that, we re-signed him during a bad injury lay up whilst he nor PAFC had a scooby if he'd make it back.
See my reply to him - I get his point, I just don't buy it.

Mar 11, 2018
No, I saw that comment. I ignored it because I thought it was characteristically naive and sanctimonious of you to think that the club did that out of the goodness of its heart, as opposed to calculating correctly, as it turned out, that a fit-again Galloway would be a big asset in the Championship.

I was watching a passage of play involving him against Leicester, and he's was really relentless in ball hunting. Worth every penny if we can keep him fit, which he has been of late. I hope he signs up with us again - and Miller too.

Last edited:

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Playing the devil's advocate, Schuey was the sole supporter of extending Brendan's contract and thkweamed and thkweamed until the Argyle board/ Dewsnip reluctantly gave in. To whom would the player need to demonstrate loyalty?
I think this unlikely, but it's another case of filling in the gaps with ones own picture. I hope he stays, but good luck to him if not.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Why is all this talk of loyalty (or indeed presumed disloyalty) going on re: either of our players in the thread title, given Neil Dewsnip’s comments in the press release?

Jun 19, 2006
weston super mare
Unfortunately for him none of his crosses ever go to anyone wearing a green shirt either, which is mostly what my issue with him is.
I’m not convinced it’s entirely his fault. His teammates should by now have an idea where the ball will end up. They have a responsibility to try to get into those areas.
Once you reach the byline at pace there are only a few places the ball is realistically going to end up.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Our thinking is pretty aligned a lot of the time. I think there are two elements. I do think on this occasion the club went the extra mile for Galloway and, as IJN says, they had no way of knowing he would ever play again. And I wouldn't simply dismiss the loyalty argument. In an ideal world it would be at the front of Brendan's mind that "I owe these people - they stuck me at a very scary time when I could have been out of work and unable to work". That would be my thinking but I am not a professional sportsman with a short-earning span. And I do not have an agent who would probably struggle to spell loyalty, let alone observe it.

So while I agree with Oldage's view that loyalty should be a two-way street, I have seen enough over the years to know it rarely applies in professional football, equally from the employer or the participant.

But, as Ray Stidwell says, the club has delivered good news and the best outcome is yet to come, especially if Galloway re-signs. And another baseless, 'internet fact' will be consigned to the bin.

Reactions: oldage
Jul 12, 2016
I’m not convinced it’s entirely his fault. His teammates should by now have an idea where the ball will end up. They have a responsibility to try to get into those areas.
Once you reach the byline at pace there are only a few places the ball is realistically going to end up.
Agreed. Part of our weakness in our forward play is the lack of anticipation of where the ball will be played and the failure of anybody to attack the ball. This is particularly noticeable from corners. When the ball is played into the penalty area nobody runs to meet it the players wait for the ball to reach them.