Fletcher to start against Chelsea, and maybe loaned out | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fletcher to start against Chelsea, and maybe loaned out

Jul 6, 2011
Frankĺy he's done better in 1 game than blisseti has in 2 and btw one of those players cost 1.3 million....

Sep 28, 2003
London
Mark Pedlar":y76i1uef said:
90 minutes of football or occasional 10 here and there, which is best for the lad, which is best for Argyle? FA development programmes will say opposite to what most fans on here would decide I suggest.

Anyway - well done to young Alex for tonight.

How's that worked out for us recently? Purrington's the only one who's got a chance - after not going out on loan anywhere, incidentally - and ended up moving for decent money. It doesn't translate that every young player therefore would do the same, but it's incredibly frustrating that we don't seem to even pay lip service to getting our youngsters time on the pitch. Going and playing non-league football doesn't seem to be helping.

I'll repeat - no one is asking for Fletcher/Battle etc to be being given anything more than the occasional 10 minute bursts here and there. It might help them develop, it might motivate them to work harder to get even more minutes, it might show some other youth players that if they have the talent and work hard enough they'll get a shot. As it is at the moment, we're not a club that does this.

Jul 6, 2011
jazzydeegreen":2v8dgivi said:
briangreen":2v8dgivi said:
Frankĺy he's done better in 1 game than blisseti has in 2 and btw one of those players cost 1.3 million....
Was it not more like £15000.... :lol:

I was referring to the chelski players :)

Aug 8, 2014
I'll repeat - no one is asking for Fletcher/Battle etc to be being given anything more than the occasional 10 minute bursts here and there. It might help them develop, it might motivate them to work harder to get even more minutes, it might show some other youth players that if they have the talent and work hard enough they'll get a shot. As it is at the moment, we're not a club that does this.[/quote]

Definitely!!

Feb 28, 2016
Nobby":oek6krei said:
He’s scored twice vs the type of players he faces every week (kids). Holds no bearing on how he would perform in a league match. By all means stick him on the bench on Saturday, but long term a loan will be best for his development in my opinion.

If we want to do anything this season we can’t be relying on Alex Fletcher for our goals. No disrespect to the lad, i’d love to be wrong.

And who out of all the attacking players more senior than him scored more? Did the defensive senior players have a good day in the office against the kids, Fletch is used to playing?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":10avbrdq said:
Nobby":10avbrdq said:
He’s scored twice vs the type of players he faces every week (kids). Holds no bearing on how he would perform in a league match. By all means stick him on the bench on Saturday, but long term a loan will be best for his development in my opinion.

If we want to do anything this season we can’t be relying on Alex Fletcher for our goals. No disrespect to the lad, i’d love to be wrong.

And who out of all the attacking players more senior than him scored more? Did the defensive senior players have a good day in the office against the kids, Fletch is used to playing?

No idea pal, didn't go to that farce of a game. Like I said, I'd love to be wrong. Just don't think you can read to much into one game. Generally prefer youth players to get real minutes to develop, which he won't get here yet.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Would a lower league team actually suit and improve them? I appreciate the game time benefit but apart from fitness and a degree of match sharpness I really don't see a conference loan that beneficial.

I'd much rather see him training with the first team, taken under a pro's wing and nurtured here with a place on the bench and rewarded with game time when achievable.

I think the hunger will encourage and drive him to improve knowing that he may get his chance in L1.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Tugboat":2l0i1fwm said:
Would a lower league team actually suit and improve them? I appreciate the game time benefit but apart from fitness and a degree of match sharpness I really don't see a conference loan that beneficial.

I'd much rather see him training with the first team, taken under a pro's wing and nurtured here with a place on the bench and rewarded with game time when achievable.

I think the hunger will encourage and drive him to improve knowing that he may get his chance in L1.

Agreed - shame we don't have any fit strikers of his ilk to learn from. That is my only reservation at of him staying at the club at present.

May 3, 2013
Tugboat":3hvz8bj5 said:

I think we would say that having a youngster at a Prem or Champ club loaned to us down in L1 or L2 is better than playing in the reserves or U23s at that level. Same goes for Fletch. Learning to play a man's game vs. a youth game is a big step.