England Vs Iceland | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England Vs Iceland

Nov 9, 2008
andyr1963":3bd7lnrq said:
Why the surprise?

Their manager has history against England as Coach / Assistant coach P7 W3 D4 L0

We have won six times in Euro / World Cup knockout football since 1966 :shock:

In the League part of this tournament we failed to break down organised defences. Iceland are one of the best organised teams at this tournament.

And yet, people are surprised we lost. :sigh:

The bookies generally had Iceland to beat England at 9 / 1 :funny: I am guessing, but I reckon those odds reflect the sheer amount of money backing England to beat the dentists and fishermen.

The only negative in the result is that I failed to believe that England would lose in normal time, I thought it would take at least 2 hours :greensmile:

My Mrs wanted to put £10 on Iceland half time and full time at 66/1 before the game. I laughed at her and said this is why women shouldn't be involved in football. My god she's still not letting me live that down.

Apr 1, 2009
Hodgson and Lewington huddled on the touchline not having a clue what to do reminded me of Mariner and Carver doing much the same.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Not sure how or where you begin to dissect it. It was without doubt the must abject performance in my lifetime.

The squad selection was way too safe, if you know you are playing Rooney in midfield, why take Henderson and Milner to sit around do nothing - we picked players with no plan B in mind, players who can do something different. When we are losing we always resort to lumping it into the middle, in which case why not take Carroll? At least if you are going to get crosses in or lump it 50 yards, pick a guy who is heading royalty. Secondly if we are going to pick a wide player, lets pick one who can cross with that foot, ie Walcott plays wide right and is right footed, instead of picking players who cut in every time and run into the crowded areas. It just makes defending so much easier. If you pick 6 midfielders in your squad, instead of taking 6 passers why not take one who can run with the ball aka Barkley? By no means am i saying Barkley, Walcott or Carroll would have changed the outcome, but all three give you options of changing the pattern of play if Plan A is not working.

There are no leaders, even in my lifetime i can picture Butcher, Robson, Adams, Terry or even Shilton, beating their chest, pumping a fist, flying into a tackle, absolutely anything to get those around them lifted - this shambles looked like they couldn't be bothered, even Cahill, Hart, Rooney those with 50+ caps dont take responsibility.

Sadly it wont change, the FA will appoint someone safe, tell him what they want and how they want it, every opportunity we've had in the last 40 years to spice things up we've managed to avoid it, starting with ignoring Clough when he should have got the job.

Some day someone will work out International football is a world away from Premier league football, which is played at 100 mph, where the key ingredients are fitness, stamina, pace, strength. International football is played at a slower pace, where a good first touch, positioning, awareness and the ability to think on your feet are far more important attributes. For years we listened to the world best managers in the Premier League (Wenger, Ferguson etc) when they buy a "foreign" player it often takes them a season to get up to speed with the English game - but by the same token we just pick players on premier league form. Instead of identifying those who will suit international football.

I always insisted the Steve Gerrard was one of the best ever Premier League players, because he could play at 100mph for 90 mins (in his prime) yet as soon as he played internationally and the game was slowed, the flaws in his game, poor first touch, poor positional sense, were highlighted, therefore his club career was never replicated at the top level.

The list of faults and flaws in the English game is almost endless, but whilst the FA are rolling in cash, i dare say they have no interest in sorting those problems

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
xmastree":cdy4d4qj said:
Hodgson and Lewington huddled on the touchline not having a clue what to do reminded me of Mariner and Carver doing much the same.

Now: Conte for Italy, pacing, shouting, pointing, instructing, volleying the ball away FFS!! :lol: whilst del Bosque sat in the dugout doing a Woy, head in hands etc etc.
I love to see that in a manager, it isn't just a job; you have to BELIEVE, you have to live it!!

we are a totally deluded nation, McClaren has an opinion on poor England Managers!!?? :lol: :doh:

Mar 14, 2009
Very depressing.

I read a lot of comments that l agree with. I'm not buying the fact though this is all down to sky's effect on football as with an even bigger pool of English players we were exactly performing to great levels.

For me, the first problem is the FA. They never pick the right man. Just the man that won't rock the boat and will do as he is told. We can go back as far as Brian Clough getting snubbed as a prime example. You look at the safe choices. The FA styled man who got the job.

When England did fine the right man the FA didn't like the extra baggage that came with them. Venables and Hoddle our prime example. First chance they got, they ousted them.

Having said the above comment l do agree however that Sky has had some degree of bad effect on English football. The pool of English available to each new english manager has decreased to such an alarmingly effect that you wonder now how the trend can be reversed. Sky promote the game like its the best product out there. Yet the truth is we don't even have the best foreigners in our league. However, without the fans there is no product and lm afraid with full crowds every week in the grounds the band wagon will keep rolling on. I can't see how you get a group of rival fans to unite for the sake of the English national team. If the grounds were to be boycotted, especially over ridiculous kick off times then perhaps as fans we could take our football back.

Could English fans unite and put their club allegancies to one side for the greater good of the national team. Personally, l don't think so as most people would choose their club over the national team.

Unless the FA challenge the premier league and start to introduce rules like making more English players play in the top teams or find a way English top players aren't over priced (which makes clubs buy cheaper European replacements) then lm afraid the status quo shall remain or even get worse, if that is possible.

Football is the one thing that could unite this nation. Since l have been in this world all the big European footballing countries such as Italy, Spain, France and Germany have all had moments like this. However, the difference is they don't meander doing the same tiring mistakes decade after decade. They made drastic changes for the good of football in their country eventually they reap the rewards by reaching the peak of European and World football. Look for example how poor Germany were when we beat them 5-1 at home. Yet 10 years later their plan they put into place became a successfully reality.

I think as you get older you become more immune to these results as an England fan. It's a shame in my life time l won't ever see England win a major tourement. I say this with a heavy heart but in 6 weeks time the premier league starts and all this gets swept under the carpet and the razor dazzle of the best "fake" league gets under way.

I wish the people in charge of our game weren't so selfish. They have made it all about money. They don't have the best interests of football at heart. It would be nice to have a chance as a football fan to have a vote of no confidence in the FA and the premier league. One day the penny might drop but whilst people like Scudamore have power lm afraid they only care about one thing. How much money can we make. Depressingly sad.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Had to endure that in an Irish pub in Hamburg. Still hurting.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":3g1kicyu said:
Very depressing.

I read a lot of comments that l agree with. I'm not buying the fact though this is all down to sky's effect on football as with an even bigger pool of English players we were exactly performing to great levels.

For me, the first problem is the FA. They never pick the right man. Just the man that won't rock the boat and will do as he is told. We can go back as far as Brian Clough getting snubbed as a prime example. You look at the safe choices. The FA styled man who got the job.

When England did fine the right man the FA didn't like the extra baggage that came with them. Venables and Hoddle our prime example. First chance they got, they ousted them.

Having said the above comment l do agree however that Sky has had some degree of bad effect on English football. The pool of English available to each new english manager has decreased to such an alarmingly effect that you wonder now how the trend can be reversed. Sky promote the game like its the best product out there. Yet the truth is we don't even have the best foreigners in our league. However, without the fans there is no product and lm afraid with full crowds every week in the grounds the band wagon will keep rolling on. I can't see how you get a group of rival fans to unite for the sake of the English national team. If the grounds were to be boycotted, especially over ridiculous kick off times then perhaps as fans we could take our football back.

Could English fans unite and put their club allegancies to one side for the greater good of the national team. Personally, l don't think so as most people would choose their club over the national team.

Unless the FA challenge the premier league and start to introduce rules like making more English players play in the top teams or find a way English top players aren't over priced (which makes clubs buy cheaper European replacements) then lm afraid the status quo shall remain or even get worse, if that is possible.

Football is the one thing that could unite this nation. Since l have been in this world all the big European footballing countries such as Italy, Spain, France and Germany have all had moments like this. However, the difference is they don't meander doing the same tiring mistakes decade after decade. They made drastic changes for the good of football in their country eventually they reap the rewards by reaching the peak of European and World football. Look for example how poor Germany were when we beat them 5-1 at home. Yet 10 years later their plan they put into place became a successfully reality.

I think as you get older you become more immune to these results as an England fan. It's a shame in my life time l won't ever see England win a major tourement. I say this with a heavy heart but in 6 weeks time the premier league starts and all this gets swept under the carpet and the razor dazzle of the best "fake" league gets under way.

I wish the people in charge of our game weren't so selfish. They have made it all about money. They don't have the best interests of football at heart. It would be nice to have a chance as a football fan to have a vote of no confidence in the FA and the premier league. One day the penny might drop but whilst people like Scudamore have power lm afraid they only care about one thing. How much money can we make. Depressingly sad.

Good post - the blame should fall on the FA's shoulders, for not picking motivational managers. The FA is run by non football types, who are more familiar with a clip board than the leather ball. What does Greg Van Dyke bring to the table other than a FIFA gold Rolex backhander? The same goes for previous executives on high salaries that know squat diddly about football.

Sep 6, 2006
I've seen us play as badly against worse teams than Iceland. Guess many conveniently forgot we lost to m. Ire. Also some shocking performances in the past against Algeria Morocco etc

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
PL2 3DQ":3gfdvtzu said:
up_the_line":3gfdvtzu said:
Time to start pointing the finger at murdoch.
Sky has ruined English football, his media have ruined British politics

The protest should be every subscriber cancelling their Sky Sports. It won't happen and we'll have Kane, Hart etc advertising the PL in a few weeks time and Sky will wet its pants.

Roy has gone.
Well, Ive done my bit and cancelled my subscription. FAR too many games on telly now for me to be even remotely interested in watching anymore. :mad:

May 1, 2011
Watching Hodgson's England was like watching Fletcher's Argyle, all possession and that convinces people we dominated the game. We did nothing of the sort against Slovakia and the Iceland game was an implosion from a handfull of set pieces. Possession means nothing if you are nowhere near the goal!

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Unfortunately I was there to witness it live followed by a 15 hr drive to Roscoff :(