Checkatrade Trophy - Format Survey | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Checkatrade Trophy - Format Survey

Will you attend Checkatrade home games?

• Yes I will attend both games

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I will attend Exeter game only

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I will attend Chelsea game only

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No I will boycott both games

Votes: 76 73.8%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2010
Fat_green_belly":253jcp3y said:
esmer":253jcp3y said:
Fat_green_belly":253jcp3y said:
Statto head on here.
When england won the world cup in 66, liverpool the domestic champions only used 14 players
all season out of a 29 man squad. Info from my 66-67 playfair football annual.
According to this link liverpool have retained a squad size of 62 for this coming PL season. Plus
i guess new signings on top to be added. Plus a team of scolars for youth games.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/408901
Chelsea i note have retained a ridiculous 92 man squad so they could field about 8 teams if they
wanted too. So we could be playing a chelsea Z team in the checkacrap never mind a B/u23 one.
So how does all of this herding and kettling benefit young talent. Seems obscene to me.
I take it that these players will be nearly all u21s because of these squad size rules for a PL season?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ad-3349993
It also says 8 of the 25 allowed in the 1st team squad have to be homegrown but it doesnt look
like future england players are prioritised much looking at those rules.
Interestingly chelsea used just 22 players out of 28 back in 65-66 back in the days when british
football reigned supreme at club and international level.
Unlike now.

Just go back the way it was ffs. Let the clubs develop kids locally and buy them when
they have established themselves in their or other first teams. The same with kids abroad as well.
The PL can still develop their own kids from their own footie mad communities just like they have
always done successfully before.
Aid the FA to fund coaching courses for smaller clubs to raise the standard nationally and not
so PL specific as it is now. Then the cream can rise to the top naturally again.
We failed to qualify for the world cup finals over a twenty year period from 1962 to 1982 (we were hosts in 1966 and champions in 1970), hardly reigning supreme.
Or we failed to qualify for an 8 year period from 1970 to 1978. So 2 world cups.
Reigning supreme, well sorry to disappoint you but we did at that time as we were the
official world champions for the remainder of the sixties and celtic and man united won
consecutive european titles the following 2 seasons as well.
Bobby charlton, gordon banks and bobby moore were all seen as world class at that time and
similarly in georgie best british football had arguably the best in the world at
club level.
So england world champions in 66. Celtic european champions 67 and man utd in 68.
So for me thats british football reigning supreme.
The 1970 finals i thought we put in a good defence of the title as well tbh.
Ramsey and cloughies polish clown turned superman of a keeper kept us out of the 74 finals
and don revies team losing out only on goal difference to italy in 78.
They were the narrowest of margins. Similarly in 82 we were hampered by injuries to keegan,
who was the european footballer of the year at that time, and brooking. We were very close
to a semi final in that tournament, even so, if i remember correctly.
86 was the hand of god incident again in the QFs. Really unlucky and same again in
1990 when we reached the semis and went out on pens.
So not reigning supreme internationally after the 6os but most certainly we were always
seen as a threat unlike now.
British clubs won a host of european trophies all around the 70s and 80s as well.
I have to admire your commendable positivity to the historical achievements of our national team but as you say we failed to qualify for the 1974 and 1978 World Cup Finals; not only that we also failed to qualify for the 1972 and 1976 European Championships. In fact in the fifty year period since our World Cup win our only successes in major international tournaments have been a semi-final appearance in the World Cup (1990) and the semi-final of the European Championship in 1996. It’s rather difficult to detect a golden era of English football there beyond twenty days in July 1966.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Knarf Reprah":19lhnegw said:
Argy1e":19lhnegw said:
Exeter date confirmed as 3rd October.

Who cares .......it'll be our kidsagainst theirs

A fixture against them in the Devon Bowl would have greater prestige. Since check a trade nonsense isn't a derby. It's a manufactured, overhyped training game against a reasonably local side, nothing more. Zzzzzz

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Knarf Reprah":3qu2q2yn said:
Argy1e":3qu2q2yn said:

Clearly you don't, along with certain people on the thread you've made that very clear. However, a look at the poll would suggest there are people who are interested, so I was saying it for their benefit.

P

Positively Green

Knarf Reprah":1wacrd22 said:
Argy1e":1wacrd22 said:

We should care about our youngsters. A bit of encouragement to get the best out of them might be a good investment.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Positively Green":22lqi8ts said:
Knarf Reprah":22lqi8ts said:
Argy1e":22lqi8ts said:

We should care about our youngsters. A bit of encouragement to get the best out of them might be a good investment.

I'd like to support our younger players too, but isn't there an obvious bigger picture here? How about a £10 ticket to see an SWPL game instead? Maybe help the coffers of a local non-league club, rather than supporting Shaun Harvey and the other morons behind this format.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
soccerpilgrim":3b7rk8m6 said:
Positively Green":3b7rk8m6 said:
Knarf Reprah":3b7rk8m6 said:
Argy1e":3b7rk8m6 said:

I'd like to support our younger players too, but isn't there an obvious bigger picture here? How about a £10 ticket to see an SWPL game instead? Maybe help the coffers of a local non-league club, rather than supporting Shaun Harvey and the other morons behind this format.
"Don't attend this tournament because it's got B teams in it, go and watch our B team instead"

esmer":3i7nnpkk said:
Fat_green_belly":3i7nnpkk said:
esmer":3i7nnpkk said:
Fat_green_belly":3i7nnpkk said:
Statto head on here.
When england won the world cup in 66, liverpool the domestic champions only used 14 players
all season out of a 29 man squad. Info from my 66-67 playfair football annual.
According to this link liverpool have retained a squad size of 62 for this coming PL season. Plus
i guess new signings on top to be added. Plus a team of scolars for youth games.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/408901
Chelsea i note have retained a ridiculous 92 man squad so they could field about 8 teams if they
wanted too. So we could be playing a chelsea Z team in the checkacrap never mind a B/u23 one.
So how does all of this herding and kettling benefit young talent. Seems obscene to me.
I take it that these players will be nearly all u21s because of these squad size rules for a PL season?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ad-3349993
It also says 8 of the 25 allowed in the 1st team squad have to be homegrown but it doesnt look
like future england players are prioritised much looking at those rules.
Interestingly chelsea used just 22 players out of 28 back in 65-66 back in the days when british
football reigned supreme at club and international level.
Unlike now.

Just go back the way it was ffs. Let the clubs develop kids locally and buy them when
they have established themselves in their or other first teams. The same with kids abroad as well.
The PL can still develop their own kids from their own footie mad communities just like they have
always done successfully before.
Aid the FA to fund coaching courses for smaller clubs to raise the standard nationally and not
so PL specific as it is now. Then the cream can rise to the top naturally again.
We failed to qualify for the world cup finals over a twenty year period from 1962 to 1982 (we were hosts in 1966 and champions in 1970), hardly reigning supreme.
Or we failed to qualify for an 8 year period from 1970 to 1978. So 2 world cups.
Reigning supreme, well sorry to disappoint you but we did at that time as we were the
official world champions for the remainder of the sixties and celtic and man united won
consecutive european titles the following 2 seasons as well.
Bobby charlton, gordon banks and bobby moore were all seen as world class at that time and
similarly in georgie best british football had arguably the best in the world at
club level.
So england world champions in 66. Celtic european champions 67 and man utd in 68.
So for me thats british football reigning supreme.
The 1970 finals i thought we put in a good defence of the title as well tbh.
Ramsey and cloughies polish clown turned superman of a keeper kept us out of the 74 finals
and don revies team losing out only on goal difference to italy in 78.
They were the narrowest of margins. Similarly in 82 we were hampered by injuries to keegan,
who was the european footballer of the year at that time, and brooking. We were very close
to a semi final in that tournament, even so, if i remember correctly.
86 was the hand of god incident again in the QFs. Really unlucky and same again in
1990 when we reached the semis and went out on pens.
So not reigning supreme internationally after the 6os but most certainly we were always
seen as a threat unlike now.
British clubs won a host of european trophies all around the 70s and 80s as well.
I have to admire your commendable positivity to the historical achievements of our national team but as you say we failed to qualify for the 1974 and 1978 World Cup Finals; not only that we also failed to qualify for the 1972 and 1976 European Championships. In fact in the fifty year period since our World Cup win our only successes in major international tournaments have been a semi-final appearance in the World Cup (1990) and the semi-final of the European Championship in 1996. It’s rather difficult to detect a golden era of English football there beyond twenty days in July 1966.
I did say british football of which englands WC success was just a part of.
So the late 60s was a golden era for british football of which the england national
team played its part.
The english national team has always been 2/3 world class players short of achieving
greatness. If we had a british team instead in 66 then there would have been
a greater chance of some sustained success. With best and law added up front with
jim baxter in midfield. Mike england at centre half. Jimmy johnstone on the wing.
Tommy gemmell at fullback. Pat jennings was another world class keeper at the time.
Not forgetting poor old greavsie who should have played much more internationally
as well. That would have been some squad. The same in the 70s and 80s england always
seemingly just lacking that extra bit of quality when required.
The euros you mentione from memory we finished 3rd in 68. Knocked out by the great emerging
west german team in 72 in the quarter finals over 2 legs. Netzer and muller rampant at
wembley in a 3-1 win after a 0-0 over there. 76 you are correct as we did fail to qualify
but only by a point to the eventual winners czechoslovakia. So again we were never
that far away.
As for now, with the british game in the hands of the PL it seems to have completely gone
downhill from its illustrious past. Tonnes of foreign imports at player and manager level
seemingly killing the ability of young british players or managers to play or manage regular
enough at the top level.
If anything, its seems to me, its helping our international and european club rivals prospects
more instead.
It was ok at first with just a sprinkling of foreign imports but the last 10 years very
few european club trophies have been won and very little success from our national sides
with british player/manager involvement reducing accordingly in the PL.
So looking back at history and comparing, its a big thumbs down from me to the PL until it puts
its house back into some kind of pro british game order again.
This checkacrap has become just another extension of the same disastrous theme for me.