4 offers on the table for a striker | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

4 offers on the table for a striker

Aug 3, 2017
Those people X Isle are more than likely happy to spend other people's money but i'm sure if they needed to contribute they'd soon sing a different tune.

I'm glad Argyle are building slowlt and sustainably!

Apr 30, 2011
X Isle":uwvxhjot said:
Andy Holland":uwvxhjot said:
Tugboat":uwvxhjot said:
Andy Holland":uwvxhjot said:
Penmaster":uwvxhjot said:
Steve.PAFC2012":uwvxhjot said:
I see Sheffield United are trying to offload James Hanson with Scunthorpe and Mansfield going in for him.

Would be exactly what we need IMO.

That would be a cracking signing but wages maybe an issue and not sure if he would want to uproot all the way down here at his age. Proven at L1 though and would improve the first 11 even with Ryan Taylor fit.

If Mansfield can afford him on their gates and we're saying we couldn't, then there's something awry.

Someone will pipe up with the story of how we almost went bust and how prudent measures are in place to quash any budgetary comparisons between clubs etc for players

You're probably right.

There's an interesting side effect of being in administration here, in that some people seem to be nervous about us showing any ambition sometimes. They'll react to someone suggesting we could go for someone more pricey than we've been used to lately by making statements like "I for one don't want us to go bankrupt again", "we don't have millions to spend", "why don't YOU pay for it", "we've just resigned Carey" and "we were only in administration five/six/seven years ago". That, or they'll wildly exaggerate the suggestion, "you want us to spend millions!".

It's understandable because we did have our fingers burnt, but we'll never advance as a club if we can't take calculated risks every now and then. No-one sensible is suggesting we spend money we don't have, but if Mansfield can afford this guy, surely we could, especially with the unbudgeted money made from the Liverpool games. I'll tell you one thing, getting relegated back to League 2 because we haven't got a striker would be far more damaging to the club than putting some money into the team up front.
You forgot "we've also invested heavily in training infrastructure" and i'll add "entry/participation in the central league won't be free either".

You say excuses, I say factually accurate statements, one and all.

We don't have a limitless pot of money from last season and indeed we've spent quite a chunk, if not all of it, already what with wages and behind the scenes investments. If Argyle say they can afford it then so be it, if it doesn't happen though it is prudence, not lack of ambition.

I am aware there are more sensible ends of the "invest money" spectrum but on that spectrum are also found irresponsible sorts who'd happily see money we don't have spent for spendings sake. 'Tis they I stand guard to shoot down in flames.

If we can't afford it then we can't afford it. End of.

My comments about wages are more a reflection of the budget available to Adams rather than what we can actually afford. I really couldn't tell you what we could afford to spend without running the risk of operating at a financial loss. JB is clearly in the best position to give that assessment. I trust JB to control our budget better than o would trust 99% of our supporters (myself included).

Aug 5, 2005
Andy Holland":15ngh6f8 said:
Penmaster":15ngh6f8 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":15ngh6f8 said:
I see Sheffield United are trying to offload James Hanson with Scunthorpe and Mansfield going in for him.

That would be a cracking signing but wages maybe an issue and not sure if he would want to uproot all the way down here at his age. Proven at L1 though and would improve the first 11 even with Ryan Taylor fit.

If Mansfield can afford him on their gates and we're saying we couldn't, then there's something awry.

The Mansfield chairman John Radford owns Onecall insurance. His personal wealth is in the many millions.

What people forget all the time is there are many smaller teams with much bigger purses, which just goes to show how well Argyle have done recently

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Quizmike":hm0vvuw6 said:
Andy Holland":hm0vvuw6 said:
Penmaster":hm0vvuw6 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":hm0vvuw6 said:

The Mansfield chairman John Radford owns Onecall insurance. His personal wealth is in the many millions.

What people forget all the time is there are many smaller teams with much bigger purses, which just goes to show how well Argyle have done recently

He may also simply not want to move away.... shock, horror... as Carey proved there is more to life than money.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
X Isle":3ohoqjde said:
Andy Holland":3ohoqjde said:
Tugboat":3ohoqjde said:
Andy Holland":3ohoqjde said:
Penmaster":3ohoqjde said:
Steve.PAFC2012":3ohoqjde said:

Someone will pipe up with the story of how we almost went bust and how prudent measures are in place to quash any budgetary comparisons between clubs etc for players

You're probably right.

There's an interesting side effect of being in administration here, in that some people seem to be nervous about us showing any ambition sometimes. They'll react to someone suggesting we could go for someone more pricey than we've been used to lately by making statements like "I for one don't want us to go bankrupt again", "we don't have millions to spend", "why don't YOU pay for it", "we've just resigned Carey" and "we were only in administration five/six/seven years ago". That, or they'll wildly exaggerate the suggestion, "you want us to spend millions!".

It's understandable because we did have our fingers burnt, but we'll never advance as a club if we can't take calculated risks every now and then. No-one sensible is suggesting we spend money we don't have, but if Mansfield can afford this guy, surely we could, especially with the unbudgeted money made from the Liverpool games. I'll tell you one thing, getting relegated back to League 2 because we haven't got a striker would be far more damaging to the club than putting some money into the team up front.
You forgot "we've also invested heavily in training infrastructure" and i'll add "entry/participation in the central league won't be free either".

You say excuses, I say factually accurate statements, one and all.

We don't have a limitless pot of money from last season and indeed we've spent quite a chunk, if not all of it, already what with wages and behind the scenes investments. If Argyle say they can afford it then so be it, if it doesn't happen though it is prudence, not lack of ambition.

I am aware there are more sensible ends of the "invest money" spectrum but on that spectrum are also found irresponsible sorts who'd happily see money we don't have spent for spendings sake. 'Tis they I stand guard to shoot down in flames.

If we can't afford it then we can't afford it. End of.

Got to build solid financial foundations---boring I know but I've seen first hand the results of individuals and businesses over extending themselves. If we get taken over by an Abramovich type figure then the world changes---but not the time being steady as you go!