Conor Hourihane | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Conor Hourihane

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
I notice in the 442 magazine 15/16 review the piece on Barnsley places Conor as their most important player. Also classed by fans as their best and expect him to be poached by a Premier League club..
Do we have a sell on clause?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can still remember the booing at the back of the Grandstand.

Feb 23, 2008
The amount of players doing well for themselves at a higher level than us now that weren't good enough for the green army beggars belief.

C

Cult Of Personality

Always thought Conor was a class above. If we had him the side last year i think we just might have gone up.

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
chunkymonkey78 said:
The amount of players doing well for themselves at a higher level than us now that weren't good enough for the green army beggars belief.

He was clearly always good enough for us but the frustration came from the fact that he would play the safe ball rather than drive us forward as he clearly now does with Barnsley.

Whether it was Fletchers tactics, playing in a poor team or his relative inexperience who knows but we only saw his potential being realised in his final 6 months with us when really started to boss midfield
Fingers crossed he continues to improve and we get a decent windfall from the sell on

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Andy in Peverell":cr1g6f18 said:
chunkymonkey78":cr1g6f18 said:

He was clearly always good enough for us but the frustration came from the fact that he would play the safe ball rather than drive us forward as he clearly now does with Barnsley.

Whether it was Fletchers tactics, playing in a poor team or his relative inexperience who knows but we only saw his potential being realised in his final 6 months with us when really started to boss midfield
Fingers crossed he continues to improve and we get a decent windfall from the sell on
Were there any?

C

Cobi Budge.

Hourihane's development was probably one of, if not Sheridan's biggest triumph at home park. An average, hot headed up and down player under Fletcher, a technically class player under Sheridan far too good for league 2.

Feb 23, 2008

Fingers crossed he continues to improve and we get a decent windfall from the sell on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I firmly believe that it was Fletchers tactics. I remember seeing him play against Truro as a trialist IIRC and I think Saltash too. I remember being impressed by his passing range and how he got forward well, and quickly too.

We have a lot to thank Fletcher for, genuinely, but I don't think his development of Hourihane into a pass sideways DM is one of them.

Although having said that at least he was getting game time.

My point really was that he was another who the green army loved to get on his back, and those that were deemed not good enough such as Mackie, Barnes, Puncheon etc have all gone on to flourish when leaving Argyle.

Aug 22, 2006
Another Argyle player sold off for virtually nothing, absolutely hilarious! I love the fact that there are still posters who regard Reid as a cheap sell because his contract is up in a year! :funny:
With regards to the Carl Fletcher arguement, I do see your points BUT that was a period in time when we were not far out of admin. So for example IF Derek Adams had taken over our ship at that point in time i'm sure he would have done better but do you reckon he would have done a lot better? Mmmmmm not so sure. Less of a budget to work from, less of an attraction, players of lesser ability to work with etc...

Overall Conor Hourihane is a very good player that was sold for a dirt cheap price. Lets learn from that, move on and never make that mistake again.