Zoo Corner | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Zoo Corner

Jun 27, 2019
Sitting in the upper Mayflower on Tuesday the zoo corner sounded great and as previous posters pointed out, there was a different set of chants (of those I prefer much more). It's always nice to have some chants between both sets of fans as opposed to singing how much we love Ryan Lowe for 90 minutes.

The zoo will grow and grow to the end of the season and can see it getting back to the level it was in the championship days which will greatly improve the atmosphere at HP. Can't believe the club closed one of the main atmospheric areas in the first place anyway!

Zoo
It was an odd decision but one influenced by the need to be seen as a 'family club'. Common sense has clearly prevailed, though, and they have finally realised that you can be a family club at the same time as allowing fans to generate the best possible atmosphere in the stadium.

We should definitely be trying to attract kids to matches, but they won't want to come back if the place is like a library. The earliest memories I have of attending games at HP involve the crowd and the chants rather than the actual football.

Aug 5, 2016
It was an odd decision but one influenced by the need to be seen as a 'family club'. Common sense has clearly prevailed, though, and they have finally realised that you can be a family club at the same time as allowing fans to generate the best possible atmosphere in the stadium.

We should definitely be trying to attract kids to matches, but they won't want to come back if the place is like a library. The earliest memories I have of attending games at HP involve the crowd and the chants rather than the actual football.

Indeed - what attracted me to Argyle at the age of 11 was the chanting, the atmosphere, the terrace culture - not going with my Mum and Dad.

A family friendly zone and handshakes with Pilgrim Pete is definitely a nice touch, but it isn't what all the under 16s want, that is for sure.

Reactions: Green 1886
Jun 27, 2019
Indeed - what attracted me to Argyle at the age of 11 was the chanting, the atmosphere, the terrace culture - not going with my Mum and Dad.

A family friendly zone and handshakes with Pilgrim Pete is definitely a nice touch, but it isn't what all the under 16s want, that is for sure.
Exactly. If you want that then go to Disney World.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Well I'd like to add another dimension. I know two people, husband and wife both in their seventies, who have been following Argyle on and off for 65 years. They are not regulars now, but wanted to go on Tuesday night, so booked their tickets near the back of block 19. They chose 19 simply because there was a bit more room there, and went for the back because it was less likely that the forecast rain would drive that far back.

They were shocked by the persistent bad language (and they're certainly not prudes) but mainly by the verbal aggression towards the Bolton fans. In fact they hated it so much, they said they would never go to Argyle again, and as I say, that's after 65 years. I'll try to persuade them that not all of modern HP is like that, but how were they to know what 19 would be like?

I appreciate that some people enjoy the extreme banter experience, but there are plenty that don't. Does it mean that the club needs to mark this block on the ticketing system as 'special'? And what about when the crowds get even larger and 20, 21 etc are opened up?

Aug 4, 2011
I’m sorry but if you’ve been going to football for 65 years then you KNOW that sitting in the closest proximity to the away fans will be a bit more lively than perhaps other parts of the ground. I was in block 17 and there was nothing I heard that was OTT. It was mainly a few Bolton fans giving constant hand gestures and “come on then” hand signals from what I saw.
It’s a bit like booking a table for 2 in Union rooms for 8pm on a Saturday night and wondering why it’s full of younger people using colourful language.

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Have to agree with previous posts (again), what got me hooked into argyle as a youngster was the atmosphere around block 16 area and the banter that used to happen with away fans. Singing between the two sets of fans was what I looked forward to most.

Also attended rugby and other various sports, atmosphere was usually quite dire and therefore, I had no interest whatsoever.

Even now, I'm much more inclined to visit now zoo is back open.

Reactions: clokey84 and saxman

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Well I'd like to add another dimension. I know two people, husband and wife both in their seventies, who have been following Argyle on and off for 65 years. They are not regulars now, but wanted to go on Tuesday night, so booked their tickets near the back of block 19. They chose 19 simply because there was a bit more room there, and went for the back because it was less likely that the forecast rain would drive that far back.

They were shocked by the persistent bad language (and they're certainly not prudes) but mainly by the verbal aggression towards the Bolton fans. In fact they hated it so much, they said they would never go to Argyle again, and as I say, that's after 65 years. I'll try to persuade them that not all of modern HP is like that, but how were they to know what 19 would be like?

I appreciate that some people enjoy the extreme banter experience, but there are plenty that don't. Does it mean that the club needs to mark this block on the ticketing system as 'special'? And what about when the crowds get even larger and 20, 21 etc are opened up?
Get them tickets in upper mayflower, dry and in the main pretty devoid of bad language.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
The elderly couple referred to above could have sat in any two given seats from blocks 5 to 14. Why didn’t they move?
You would think that attending football for more than 60 years (including throughout the 70s and 80s) would make you more thick-skinned to be quite so offended by a few obscenities.

Jun 5, 2020

Your friends went to Football during the 70’s/80’s and 90’s - the worst era for football hooliganism, and it’s some swearing that has made them decide they’re never going again?

As has been mentioned - if you’ve been going football for 65 years then you know going into the block closest to away fans that you’re not going to hear nursery rhymes.

Thanks all for your comments. Fingers crossed Zoo gets bigger and better!

Aug 26, 2021

"in fact they said they'd never go again"😁
always a giveaway of a did not happen story

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton

That was a poor choice of seating, Steve, considering that they are in their 70’s, like me. They must have good eyesight, as well as good hearing. ;)
I was allocated Block 15, halfway back, for the few games we were able to watch last season. I had to watch the extended highlights on TV after because I found it difficult to follow what was happening at the Devonport End.
It’s such a relief to be back in the Upper Grandstand.

Reactions: Ipplepen green
Aug 16, 2021
Having more singers in Zoo Corner meant a lot more fans between the Devonport singers and Zoo singers were brought into it, creating a cracking atmosphere at times.
My only disappointment is that, after apparently 10yrs of persuading the club to allow the more vociferous fans back to this area, it took 10minutes after kick off for fans in Zoo Corner to start fighting amongst themselves. If this is their behaviour and its deemed an acceptable side affect of this style of support, then the club need to mark this area off to avoid less regular fans (like Steve's friends) from accidentally being sat amongst it.

Reactions: kernow19
Mar 23, 2019

Maybe the club should put some sort of warning on the website for the Devonport and the Zoo so that first timers know that it's louder and its where people stand.

Can't say I have much sympathy for your friends I'm afraid, like others have said, they could have just moved.