Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Bickle

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ryan Hardie

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 10, 2006
Wilf carter scored 148 goals in 254 appearance, tommy tynan 145 goals in 310 games, Paul Mariner 61 goals in 155 appearances, Sammy Black, 182 goals in 491 games.
If you go by goals as making the man the best striker....
Fred binney 42 in 77.

May 13, 2022
Tommy Tynan all the way for me. I remember the day he re-signed on loan from Rotherham ā€“ put the icing on the cake of my first season as an Argyle fan and went on to bring me so much footballing joy. I just idolised him as a teenager.

My other vote goes to Paul Mariner, purely on reputation, ā€“ I grew up hearing about his exploits for Argyle and watching him for Ipswich, England (I remember getting very excited by his 'diving' header against Hungary, which helped England qualify for Spain 82 World) and Arsenal.

Sadly, the only time I remember watching Paul Mariner at Home Park, he lined up for Pompey in a 2-3 defeat on Boxing Day 1986. At least he didn't score against us.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
If Ryan Hardie wins I quite Pasoti. Promise.
Must be Mariner plus 1 other. Think Rafferty looked so good only cos he played alongside him. Tough choice between Evans and Tynan from my era.

Billy didn't need Paul at Carlisle, Wolves, Newcastle and Pompey.

You usually accuse others of typing rubbish Clive, on this occasion you've plumbed the depths of rubbishness. ;)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Tommy Tynan all the way for me. I remember the day he re-signed on loan from Rotherham ā€“ put the icing on the cake of my first season as an Argyle fan and went on to bring me so much footballing joy. I just idolised him as a teenager.

My other vote goes to Paul Mariner, purely on reputation, ā€“ I grew up hearing about his exploits for Argyle and watching him for Ipswich, England (I remember getting very excited by his 'diving' header against Hungary, which helped England qualify for Spain 82 World) and Arsenal.

Sadly, the only time I remember watching Paul Mariner at Home Park, he lined up for Pompey in a 2-3 defeat on Boxing Day 1986. At least he didn't score against us.

Most of those who watched his debut KNEW Paul would play for England. It was that obvious. He was a thoroughbred.

Tommy could score off his arse, elbow, shoulder or shank and it would still go in. What a scorer he was.

For me the vote was easy. Mariner and Rafferty. Both great in their own ways, and one should not be split from the other.

Reactions: Nelson Norris

I Was There

ā™£ļø North Devon Greens
Feb 2, 2022
Jack Cock scored 74 goals in 92 games as far as I know the only player to score over 30 goals in successive seasons.
If this poll shows only thing weā€™ve had some great strikers over the years.

Green as Grass

ā™£ļø North Devon Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
No Iā€™m
Jack Cock scored 74 goals in 92 games as far as I know the only player to score over 30 goals in successive seasons.
If this poll shows only thing weā€™ve had some great strikers over the years.
I doubt there is anyone alive now who saw him play. If you Google him he played at the top level including for England. I suspect that he would definitely have been in our top 4 strikers of all time had we seen him play. The top 4 of the strikers I have seen in alphabetical order would be Wilf Carter, Paul Mariner, Billy Rafferty and Tommy Tynan.

Reactions: greensalt

jerryatricjanner

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
For me from the mid 60s it's Mariner head and shoulders number 1. The difficulty then is whether to go for the Mariner/ Rafferty combo or Tommy Tynan. A tough choice but Tommy it is.

Reactions: saxman

smudja

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Neil Illman. At least he had a fantasy football league named after him

Aug 5, 2015
I think Mariner and Rafferty complemented one another. If one had an ordinary day the other stepped up. They were a team not master and servant!

Aug 11, 2013
Iā€™ve never seen goalscoring look so easy as when watching Tommy Tynan. Natural goalscorer is an overused cliche but he was simply instinctive and deserved to have played at a higher level.

Reactions: saxman and oldage
Aug 5, 2015
I saw Tommy play too. Got to be one of the unluckiest people of all time considering what Aldridge did. Had the pleasure of meeting him in a pub outside Watford many moons ago. Of course he scored an amazing goal in that game