You cant teach composure | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

You cant teach composure

Aug 13, 2011
Today it could be rightly argued Argyle did not deserve to lose but that said, how many times can we say it and not believe it is not mere bad luck but really bad technique. A goalscorer of any distinction gets at least a brace today. Tynan? 3! These guys have not one ounce of composure when bearing down on goal. Air shots, scuffed shots, mis-hits, hurried, misdirected efforts, wrong options, gee! CF HAS to see they have no technique in front of goal. Chesterfield,one chance second half,buried. Goodnight!

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
Composure, see confidence.

It certainly can be taught, or trained, however you want to put it, but in a round about way. It's the finer details, timing of runs and passes that makes the composure easier to carry out, as it were. It's how easy a 6-yard tap-in is when you're on a 10-match winning run, as opposed to needing that goal to stay in the league or win the cup. Carrying out a managers instruction, having confidence in doing so and seeing why he's asking you to do something breeds confidence. Composure, see confidence.

No confidence, see Fletcher.

Source: Me, an ex (those were the days, before kids and weight gain even after a 100g bag of roasted peanuts) semi pro footballer (not too far below Argyle standards the way we're heading!)

Aug 13, 2011
I meant to add, but cant edit from this mobile, this composure i mention, its an innate thîng, u either have it or you dont, the ability to focus, balance and deliver at the split second that makes all the difference. Its a gift that only so many players have. So what am i saying. CF is flogging a dead horse expecting goals from this lot. He needs a Cureton and the sooner the better as we are 1 pt off the drop and free-falling alarmingly! JB has to do some shopping. Megson? Yes, Argyle man and wise.

Jul 6, 2011
gariboldi":eftcic9a said:
Today it could be rightly argued Argyle did not deserve to lose but that said, how many times can we say it and not believe it is not mere bad luck but really bad technique. A goalscorer of any distinction gets at least a brace today. Tynan? 3! These guys have not one ounce of composure when bearing down on goal. Air shots, scuffed shots, mis-hits, hurried, misdirected efforts, wrong options, gee! CF HAS to see they have no technique in front of goal. Chesterfield,one chance second half,buried. Goodnight!

Definitely lack of confidence

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
briangreen":1hppoys5 said:
gariboldi":1hppoys5 said:

they haven't got any confidence because of the lackadaisical attitude of the pathetic coaching staff

Aug 13, 2011
briangreen":3na58hoz said:
gariboldi":3na58hoz said:

Yes and no. When I was in my school if my colleagues were awry with their finishing I used to think, I'll show you, didn't always work. but often it would and I'd get a good solo goal. It's not like snooker where you are on your own and all the focus on you and if your playing bad you want to hide away. I still think a good finisher rises above the confidence factor and finds the net. There is an inborn arrogance. We do need to seek someone with these credentials which does mean forking out on one aswell as getting lucky with their availability and willingless to join. It is a hard task, no denying that, but not impossible if you are serious about getting the show on the right road out there..

I would appoint Gary Megson as an influential first team manager and then we do have a hope of this materialising. He has managed at a high level and I do rate him.

Nov 12, 2012
I believe confidence and composure are direct components of each other. The longer this goes unchanged the worse it can get, and believe it or not its very difficult to turn around. My suggestion would in training to have free kick, shots from outside the box and penalty competitions and rewards for the winner and forfeit for looser. Perhaps a combined training session with both the youth and senior 1st team playing 5 a side competitions against each other would be of benefit. Would enable youth team players opportunity to learn some skills reading of the game from off the senior players, and the senior players can see what's coming through, potential competition for taking their spot in the 1st team. Mostly this would give the management team the opportunity to review the reaction of senior players matching them against the youth team, also would see if any of the youth team can suprises them and show they can and are ready for the challenge of 1st team action.