Women's Euros | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Women's Euros

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Off the back of the fantastic success of the lionesses, I'd be fascinated to see how many fans would attend if Argyle put a Women's fixture at Home Park.

(Whether you like it or not, misogynists) this success will undoubtedly create a boom of interest / participation in women's football. Just like there was with cricket when England's men won the 2005 Ashes, and Rugby when the men won the 2003 world cup. I hope that boom will sustain into a permanent increase in popularity moving forward, but we'll see on that one.

I appreciate the logistical demands of this, but if Argyle found a suitable Sunday, or maybe even a Saturday lunchtime before a men's fixture (although the groundstaff may not thank me for that suggestion!), and really pushed the advertising of it, made it accessible etc, I'd love to think that we'd get a couple of thousand through the gates - maybe even more. Again, who knows if it will sustain, but if this is sadly just the crest of a wave, Argyle should make sure that they ride it.

A home park experience might inspire some more young girls (and boys) to participate in football, which would be fantastic for schools, local clubs, everyone really. Nothing against Manadon, but as others have said, its suitability for fans to attend isn't ideal.

Dan - Please do not label everyone as a misogynist, as I've said we've just got rid of someone (thankfully) who was too quick to label many people. Let's just not return to that sort of thing on this forum please.

Thanks (y)

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
IJN I don't believe I accused anyone of being a misogynist. I think that was a different poster. I'm always very respectful on this site.
My comment about misogynistic wasn’t aimed at you Jes, it was Dan. You’re right you have been respectful even though we disagree.

You did say the quality of quite a few games was better than the Watford game.

Reactions: jespafc

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Off the back of the fantastic success of the lionesses, I'd be fascinated to see how many fans would attend if Argyle put a Women's fixture at Home Park.

(Whether you like it or not, misogynists) this success will undoubtedly create a boom of interest / participation in women's football. Just like there was with cricket when England's men won the 2005 Ashes, and Rugby when the men won the 2003 world cup. I hope that boom will sustain into a permanent increase in popularity moving forward, but we'll see on that one.

I appreciate the logistical demands of this, but if Argyle found a suitable Sunday, or maybe even a Saturday lunchtime before a men's fixture (although the groundstaff may not thank me for that suggestion!), and really pushed the advertising of it, made it accessible etc, I'd love to think that we'd get a couple of thousand through the gates - maybe even more. Again, who knows if it will sustain, but if this is sadly just the crest of a wave, Argyle should make sure that they ride it.

A home park experience might inspire some more young girls (and boys) to participate in football, which would be fantastic for schools, local clubs, everyone really. Nothing against Manadon, but as others have said, its suitability for fans to attend isn't ideal.
I think 2 games were played at Home Park last season and I believe there are plans for more games there this season.

Reactions: Dan Ellard

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
The way I see it is that the majority of women playing were just as skilful as the men. However, the games were littered with silly mistakes that are rare within the man’s game. Is this down to the woman’s game being young and therefore inexperienced? I think so.

However, this has made the games more interesting. A game with 2 defences that are so good it cannot be broken down makes for a dull game. Some purists like to see players doing wonders with the ball stuck to their feet, but I prefer the game to have more action which is helped by players making mistakes.

Reactions: djg145 and jespafc

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Appeal to Tory leaders from the Lionesses. (y)

BBC News - Lionesses: England's Euro 2022 winners urge Tory leadership duo to help schoolgirls play football