Wimbledon v Argyle Match Thread | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wimbledon v Argyle Match Thread

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I see a difference between 'playing a game out' and pretending to have a head injury, broken leg, diptheria, wongu wongu fever etc etc. That is what Whycome do: that is cheating. That is an insult/risk to players who do get seriously injured; physios who treat them and totally disrespectful to refs who stop games to save a player's life/career.
Apart from pretending to have a head injury or broken leg the other examples are of course nonsense Pogles. Plenty of our's went down with convenient cramp last week, Cooper is becoming very good at time wasting and was booked not for the first time today, well before the end of the game. Wasn't it Argyle fans who cruelly booed the Wycombe keeper off the field at Home Park? He never played again as he had a genuine serious injury. Of course our tribal instincts come out when we are backing our own side but I think sometimes it's taken to the extreme. Even Wycombe couldn't manage 98 minutes today from a winning position so let's not kid ourselves we are perfect. It isn't a day to dwell on such things really though. I am delighted to see us managing games so much better this season, we have really toughened up and today was a great away performance which I am sure we are all rejoicing in.

Aug 4, 2011
Make no mistake about it there is no comparison. Wycombe employ players to roll back onto the pitch when “injured” off the field. Head injuries during play. Whole other level of gamesmanship they employ

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
No that is not correct Jerry......the Wycombe goalkeeper went down with an injury, and a lengthy time ensued....he then got up and continued ...but then went down again and was substituted ....that went against the grain for a lot of supporters that day who were familiar with Wycombes time wasting tactics...and thought that this was another time wasting tactic...notwithstanding that their goal keeper was seriously injured...and Wycombe then had an injured player who conveniently rolled back onto the pitch to waste time...thats the Wycombe way....hard to differentiate....

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
No that is not correct Jerry......the Wycombe goalkeeper went down with an injury, and a lengthy time ensued....he then got up and continued ...but then went down again and was substituted ....that went against the grain for a lot of supporters that day who were familiar with Wycombes time wasting tactics...and thought that this was another time wasting tactic...notwithstanding that their goal keeper was seriously injured...and Wycombe then had an injured player who conveniently rolled back onto the pitch to waste time...thats the Wycombe way....hard to differentiate....
Aaah so the fact that he couldn't continue and went down a second time to be stretchered off warranted all the booing while he was on a stretcher? I wonder how it would have played out with the roles reversed and us having to put on an overweight 48 year old in goal for the majority of the game, who hadn't played for 10 years. I bet if we had gone on to win an away game under those conditions Adams would have been over the moon as would our fans. I know I'm in a minority but I think Ainsworth is a far nicer guy than Adams ever was and that it's time the paranoia with Wycombe was forgotten.

Reactions: kernow19

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No paranoia this end John, I just dislike their ground, their fan, their manager and their playing style.

It's all they're about, anti football.

No one can say that about us, although we are obviously learning some of the black arts, it's not the be all and end all.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
The paronia with Wycombe will always be there until Ainsworth moves on...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
There’s a difference between occasionally slowing games down, being smart/streeetwise and getting over the line, AKA what we did today, and then what Wycombe do almost every game - feigning injury, trying to con the referee, and ultimately trying to keep the ball in play for as few minutes as possible from the first whistle. I’ve got no problem with the dark arts/game management, and I actually found it refreshing today that we were the team doing a job on our opponents, but Wycombe & Ainsworth are fundamentally anti-the game we love, it may have served them well, but personally I’d find it depressing to support them - I’m a football fan and that isn’t something they’re interested in.

russthewomble

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
May 25, 2011
The incident where your guy went down clutching his head to stop play was appalling, I think it actually made the ref be a bit tougher towards you on other decisions. But otherwise Plymouth saw the game out well. We needed a goal first 25 minutes, after that Plymouth organised themselves really well. We switched off for 5 minutes and paid the price for it. Ultimately the difference was that lapse in concentration.

Always enjoy the Argyle games, good bunch of fans. I didn't see a lot of attacking flair with Plymouth but with the organisation and teamwork you will be very comfortable - remind me a little of Shrewsbury when they got to the play offs. Nothing crazy exciting but a nice solid outfit, very difficult to break down. Enjoy the season.