• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Will Cummings bring Johnson down?

Nov 15, 2011
No one else was consulted according to Cummings and not denied, and Johnson didn't rush to judgment but let the chaos gather before making his decision, I have no idea the point you are trying to make Frank.

The UK has the highest deaths in Europe despite Germany having a much bigger population and eg France having a similar one. In deaths per million of similar sized countries only Italy has a higher rate. And we are an island, and we have had the successful vaccine rollout ahead of other European countries. Tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. That's not blinkered that's just counting.

Sep 2, 2008
themightykeithfear":3t9h2t91 said:
signalspast":3t9h2t91 said:
There are many questions to be answered and I feel sure the truth will come out in the fullment of time with some of the inquiries etc that are going to take place however at the moment the person that got injured the most yesterday was Cummings himself because he will never be trusted in employment again.

You are joking, its the most blatant job interview I've ever seen by excusing rishi and gove (his mate) from blame he's shaping his way back into no 10. The people he may have injured yesterday are irrelevant to his path back into power.

And to say yesterday was the moment when he lost trust rather than Barnard Castle is just bizarre.

'Earth calling TMKF!' Jeez, what planet are you on? If by some weird chain of events Gove does get into No.10 do you really believe he would invite a snake like Cummings in after witnessing what the slimy git has just done? Gove may also be a slimeball but he isn't stupid. Mate or no mate, he would drop Cummings like a red hot potato :facepalm:

Nov 15, 2011
From Tuesday's Mail :

"Tory MPs believe Mr Cummings and the Minister for the Cabinet Office Michael Gove could be plotting to oust PM".

Gove and Cummings have been close friends for 15 years, Cummings leaks stuff to the Mail via Gove's wife Sarah Vine, they regard themselves as the dream ticket which is why Cummings was careful to exclude Gove from any criticism.

Now of course Gove may stab Cummings in the back like he did Johnson, we shall see.

The saddest thing for me in this saga is that in the short term little will change. Johnson’s huge populist support, just like Trump’s, appears to comprise voters who have no interest in the policies and behaviour of their leader, no interest in the lies and obfuscation, and only see someone who speaks of easy outcomes, and is a bit of a character. They don’t care that he is surrounded by sycophants, willing to turn a blind eye to all his failings because he’s a vote winner, and don’t care that most of his lightweight cabinet wouldn’t be in a job had a more capable and experienced politician like Jeremy Hunt won their leadership election.

So, Teflon Johnson will roll on undeterred, and in fairness to my many Tory friends, they too are embarrassed by the shambles around him, and sensibly make no attempt to justify his actions.

The other saving grace for Johnson and Hancock is that Cummings is heartily
disliked on all sides, and most will see his actions as spiteful, and very partial, given that he spoke glowingly about everybody else.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Pottypilgrim":l35nqdeu said:
'Earth calling TMKF!' Jeez, what planet are you on? If by some weird chain of events Gove does get into No.10 do you really believe he would invite a snake like Cummings in after witnessing what the slimy git has just done? Gove may also be a slimeball but he isn't stupid. Mate or no mate, he would drop Cummings like a red hot potato :facepalm:

Modern politics is a fickle, forgetful thing - you only have to look in recent years back to when Priti Patel was booted out after her non-sanctioned meetings with the Israeli Government: in any other era of British history that would have been her political career over ... and here we are, with her being Home Secretary, so to see Cummings being involved again as a political advisor should there be a shift in power at No10 is not beyond the realms of possibility. After all, those Tory MPs calling out Cummings this week were the same ones who were defending and supporting him after the Rose Garden interview: they will support whatever is blowing in the political wind ... and whatever they're whipped into saying.

I agree with you that Gove isn't stupid - he's undoubtedly the most Machiavellian character in the Cabinet, and I don't believe for one second that he's not playing the long game with the intent of becoming Premier one day. But I don't think he'll surround himself with sycophants like Boris does, and I don't think he'll be bothered if he has to fire someone he doesn't trust. So if he does make it into No10 and calls on his old friend Dom to help, he'll keep Cummings on a much shorter leash than Boris ever did. But then I think there'll be more potential for fireworks between Cummings and Sarah Vine than there ever was between Cummings and Carrie, which would be great for us to watch!

Nov 15, 2011
Talking about Johnson's lies, the BBC are reporting that in the first 3 months of this year UK exporters paid £3.5 billion in tariffs to the EU. Remember when he cheered home his tariff free Brexit deal? £3.5 billion over 3 months is more than the UKs EU contribution pre Brexit.

Tariffs are due on UK exports to the EU when rules of origin are not met or exporters are unwilling or unable to do the mountain of paperwork and red tape Brexit was going to get rid of.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
themightykeithfear":6qurak43 said:
Talking about Johnson's lies, the BBC are reporting that in the first 3 months of this year UK exporters paid £3.5 billion in tariffs to the EU. Remember when he cheered home his tariff free Brexit deal? £3.5 billion over 3 months is more than the UKs EU contribution pre Brexit.

Tariffs are due on UK exports to the EU when rules of origin are not met or exporters are unwilling or unable to do the mountain of paperwork and red tape Brexit was going to get rid of.
But at least he's been cleared of breaking the ministerial code! ;) :lol:

Nov 15, 2011
And quite rightly so I mean there must have been loads of people in Swilly who have been approached by anonymous benefactors with a £100k offering to give their council houses a facelift. Man of the people is bozo, he even says he'll pay for his own wedding next year!

The tariff story gets worse, while UK businesses have handed over £3.5 billion to the EU in tariffs in the first 3 months of this year - more than our pre Brexit EU contributions - we have collected from EU businesses err nothing, because we're still refusing to take back control of our borders and get Brexit done. When Johnson said f business, he bleddy meant it.

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
Aug 17, 2005
themightykeithfear":1g67zcze said:

No it doesn't it says that they paid tariffs on 3.5 billion of goods this is not saying they paid 3.5 billion. The EU have stated its 2.5 billion of goods and expect the tariffs to be mostly claimed back at a later date.
All just problems settling in whilst they get used to the new paperwork
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57282379

Nov 15, 2011
It says millions have been paid in tariffs by U.K. companies and some of the costs may be recovered. No costs can be recovered where rules of origin are not met.

Small exporters can’t afford to employ customs experts to do the paperwork so have either given up or paid the tariffs. That’s not sustainable in the long run. Eg Milk and dairy exports are down 96%. Beef and lamb 40%. Eu exports overall down 23% unchanged with the rest of the world.

The paperwork isn’t going away and will double in July when it’s required on this side of the channel. It’s not just teething problems.

Sep 2, 2008
signalspast":18jm3tl3 said:
themightykeithfear":18jm3tl3 said:

No it doesn't it says that they paid tariffs on 3.5 billion of goods this is not saying they paid 3.5 billion. The EU have stated its 2.5 billion of goods and expect the tariffs to be mostly claimed back at a later date.
All just problems settling in whilst they get used to the new paperwork
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57282379

Classic TMKF. He's still reading something and interpreting it in his own way :roll: :doh:

Nov 15, 2011
Interpret definition “explain the meaning of “ iSorry potty I’m me , explaining things in my own way is the only way I can do it!

And yes I did get the definition of the figure wrong, it’s good to admit when you’re wrong, better than furious name calling.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
So Matt Handcock is a minister of State for Health who didn't know that he shouldn't have shares in a company owned by his sister who were tendering for contracts to his department?

I was a fairly low grade Local Government Officer for 35 years. I knew that I would get sacked if I did anything like that.

So too bent to be a Minister or just too stupid?? Which is it Matty boy?? :think:

TBF I think he is capable of both. Versatile boy our Matty.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
Just to round this out, there have been 6 polls with fieldwork conducted after the Cummings testimony:

Survation - Con 43% (-1), Lab 33% (unch.)

Opinium - Con 42% (-2) , Lab 36% (+5)

YouGov (30/05) - Con 43% (-3), Lab 29% (+1)

Redfield Wilton - Con 45% (+2), Lab 34% (+1)

Savanta ComRes - Con 42% (-1), Lab 32% (-2)

YouGov (04/06) - Con 46% (+3), Lab 30% (+1)

So taking each companies latest polls the Tories have leads of 10, 6, 11, 10 and 16 points. The only poll showing any kind of impact is Opinium but that isn't reflected elsewhere so looks like an outlier. In fact, the three latest polls show the Tories extending their lead.

The answer therefore to the OP's question appears to be 'No'.

Boris untouchable??

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
Aug 17, 2005
Well first statement of the day by the chairman is that Cummings hasn't provided the promised hard copies to substantiate his allegations.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
signalspast":uogsi2kq said:
Well first statement of the day by the chairman is that Cummings hasn't provided the promised hard copies to substantiate his allegations.

There is a school of thought amongst some Tory MPs (what I read this morning) that Cummings is going to wait until after Hancock has made his appearance before producing any evidence. If he did it beforehand, Hancock could try to wriggle out of it. If Cummings produces them after and if it contradicts anything Hancock says today, then that'll be career over for him.