• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Will Cummings bring Johnson down?

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
MickyD":1wth334l said:
Leafing through the pages of my favoured loony leftie rag, the Guardian, I've just read the lastest by the ever-acerbically witty Marina Hyde, whose praises I've sung a number of times on various Opinions threads. Today, unsurprisingly, she addresses this very subject, and ends:

As for where we go next with text-for-access, none of it will be good. Today’s Cummings angle may be intended to serve as a distraction, but it is increasingly hard to separate Johnson’s career lack of standards from his administration’s rapid shedding of them. Of COURSE someone as sexually incontinent as Johnson would lead a government as procedurally incontinent as his is, spaffing unmonitored access and promises of procurement favours up whatever wall it happens to be standing next to.

And yet, a lot of senior government figures seem to take genuine pleasure in pointing at the polls and excusing any amount of obviously questionable behaviour as “just Boris being Boris”. They’re seemingly incapable of grasping that the entire executive taking on the character of this amoral and discipline-free man will end very badly indeed. It is precisely Johnson’s lack of discipline and moral courage that has resulted in this country having both the highest Covid death toll in Europe and the most unnecessarily long economic shutdown and loss of essential freedoms. Gloating that the voters don’t think they deserve better will not be the recipe for a great British future.

Sorry Micky - as I've said, no fan of Boris, but that article is opinionated tosh.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
NHS Cake Donor
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Being tutored in ethics, legality and integrity by The Eyesight Kid?? :lol:

... and to answer the question: I certainly hope so!! :clap:

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Frank_Butcher":tg5daoqa said:
Sorry Micky - as I've said, no fan of Boris, but that article is opinionated tosh.
It's supposed to be opinionated - she has a job as a columnist, not a hard news reporter. As to its levels of toshiness: well, of course those judgments will always be a matter of...

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
MickyD":18y3knm5 said:
Frank_Butcher":18y3knm5 said:
It's supposed to be opinionated - she has a job as a columnist, not a hard news reporter. As to its levels of toshiness: well, of course those judgments will always be a matter of...

But it's poorly written opinion with little justification if any at all:

"Of COURSE someone as sexually incontinent as Johnson would lead a government as procedurally incontinent as his is" - what possible connection could there be between the two things? It doesn't go anywhere near correlation. Rubbish.

"obviously questionable behaviour as “just Boris being Boris” - often said by commentators but rarely heard of at all.

"will end very badly indeed" - based on what exactly? There's certainly no sign of it at the moment. Perhaps it will but it is not a matter of fact.

"the highest Covid death toll in Europe" - just playing with numbers to make a point. The UK is now far from the worst performing in Europe - we have the highest number of deaths mainly because we have one of the largest populations. It is not a good measure and is lazy (intentionally) use of statistics.

"most unnecessarily long economic shutdown and loss of essential freedoms" - er, is this not because of the point attempting to be made above in the very same sentence? That is poor.

There are a few other words in the artcle I think that make some form of sense.

I've made this point before with Grauniad articles - just like the Mail on the other side it's full of opinionated rubbish that can be picked apart in milliseconds. There are better places to get rational thought and opinion.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Well, I don't feel strongly enough about that opinion piece to get into a Frank/Potty-tmkf kind of exchange, so I'm happy just to leave it there! :lol:

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Frank_Butcher":24ao55g1 said:
MickyD":24ao55g1 said:
Well, I don't feel strongly enough about that opinion piece to get into a Frank/Potty-tmkf kind of exchange, so I'm happy just to leave it there! :lol:

Then I will too Micky. :thumbup:
Who said that politics these days is irredeemably polarised? Hugs all round! (And Argyle are finally safe...) :huddle:

Jan 20, 2004
MickyD":1l0gd3id said:
Frank_Butcher":1l0gd3id said:
MickyD":1l0gd3id said:

Then I will too Micky. :thumbup:
Who said that politics these days is irredeemably polarised? Hugs all round! (And Argyle are finally safe...) :huddle:

Amen to that, (although I fear for next season).

FWIW I'm not sure a public spat between the two will necessarily bring Johnson down, unless something absolutely seismic is revealed which I doubt will happen.

Cummings is more of a 'hate' figure in the public's perception even than Johnson, who despite his antics is generally accepted as 'Boris being Boris', so when it comes to taking sides the public are more likely to accept his version of events.

As Micky points out, like with Trump, Johnson has a populist following that accept and defend his behaviour and it's a sad state of affairs, but he has learnt from Trump that no matter how many lies he tells or how deep his snout is in the trough his followers will accept it, and unless Starmer and the rest of the opposition can find a set of teeth he will carry on getting away with it.

Nov 15, 2011
I like Frank's opinionated post on an opinions forum criticising a political journalist for being opinionated. :crazy: :

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
themightykeithfear":1x4ukhr6 said:
I like Frank's opinionated post on an opinions forum criticising a political journalist for being opinionated. :crazy: :

Sigh. It wasn’t an opinion, but I’ll leave you to work that out while you’re not mining your social media informed anecdotes. TBH, you’re close to getting the lol treatment I reserved for your chum BG.

Nov 15, 2011
Frank it is ENTIRELY your opinion from the very first words - "it's poorly written opinion". This is an article by the 2019 British Journalism Columnist of the Year and 2020 Sports Journalist of the Year, and although I'm not a great fan this is an excellently written article.

The correlation between Johnson's sexual and procedural incontinence is crystal clear in that a man who doesn't follow any moral compass or standards in his personal life (remember his Eton master noting Johnson thought the rules only applied to other people), isn't likely to lead a Government following the rules and procedures. And it is evidentially true through his actions from boasting about shaking hands with covid patients when he was specifically told not to, from illegally proroguing parliament to being twice sacked for lying including from Government. How is that "rubbish"?

You say that her saying the UK has "the highest Covid death toll in Europe" is "playing with figures". Err no its a fact even though Germany has a much larger population and France an equivalent one.

You say the "unnecessarily long economic shutdown and loss of essential freedoms" is because we have the highest death numbers. No she is saying both are because of Johnson's ineptness in so many areas including his deadly delay of lockdowns 3 times.

I think that the fact that the article didn't make any sense to you and you thought you had picked it apart in milliseconds is that you didn't understand what she was saying.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
themightykeithfear":39v5527v said:
Frank it is ENTIRELY your opinion from the very first words - "it's poorly written opinion". This is an article by the 2019 British Journalism Columnist of the Year and 2020 Sports Journalist of the Year, and although I'm not a great fan this is an excellently written article.

The correlation between Johnson's sexual and procedural incontinence is crystal clear in that a man who doesn't follow any moral compass or standards in his personal life (remember his Eton master noting Johnson thought the rules only applied to other people), isn't likely to lead a Government following the rules and procedures. And it is evidentially true through his actions from boasting about shaking hands with covid patients when he was specifically told not to, from illegally proroguing parliament to being twice sacked for lying including from Government. How is that "rubbish"?

You say that her saying the UK has "the highest Covid death toll in Europe" is "playing with figures". Err no its a fact even though Germany has a much larger population and France an equivalent one.

You say the "unnecessarily long economic shutdown and loss of essential freedoms" is because we have the highest death numbers. No she is saying both are because of Johnson's ineptness in so many areas including his deadly delay of lockdowns 3 times.

I think that the fact that the article didn't make any sense to you and you thought you had picked it apart in milliseconds is that you didn't understand what she was saying.

Lol