Why the Opening Day Result Doesn't Matter (sort of) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why the Opening Day Result Doesn't Matter (sort of)

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
Always think that to much is made of the opening few results...a single result can hinge on luck, but a performance is more of an indication of long term success. The best example of that was the win at Southampton a few years back. They battered us but we scraped a fortunate goal. They were promoted I think and we struggled...a defeat is never ideal but if overall, we play well( just don't get the run of the ball) then results will come. You often get teams that fly out of the blocks, but get reeled in as fortune deserts them and ultimately they struggle.

One other thing I look for is for a striker to get on the scoresheet early in the season, as this often sets them up overall...anybody remember Lee power? Scored loads preseason...had a goal disallowed in the first game ( questionably) and (if memory serves) never scored again for us.

So for me the ideal is a win, or score draw, with our strikers scoring...but the performance is more important...you build into a season.

As an extra point I have always taken the league cup game as a good bellwether of the season...it may just be perception but when we have played higher league teams and beaten or held our own(Watford rings a bell) even if defeated then I think we will have a good season.

Anyway that's my two penneth worth.

Reactions: BojanTheGreat

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
As long as they dont finish 20th

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
Good reading that.
You also find the teams who start well, always fall away. The teams who start not so good shall we say, always click at some point and end up up there, or there abouts.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
HaHa! Whilst I‘m not thinking any of us wishes a loss on Saturday, the momentum of this thread is reminding me of the allegedly strange management ideas by (I think) John Beck/ Cambridge who followed the theory that ‘a goal always originated by winning the ball” by instructing his players to give it away to the opposition…so that that process could be started! This, allegedly, as well as turning the temperature of the away dressing room & its water to an extreme etc.

Aug 5, 2016
The most outstanding opening day “quirk” I recall in League 1 was Norwich 1 Colchester 7 in Aug 2009, which season ended with Norwich as Champions, 9 points more than 2nd-placed Leeds!

That quirk was largely because they went and poached Paul Lambert from Colchester afterwards!!

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Every game matters I would argue. Get off to a good start and who knows....Confidence in football is a funny beast.