Why are players signing? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Why are players signing?

J

Janner

Traditionally this time of year is spent bemoaning the lack of signings, whilst listening to comments from the club about "irons in fires" and reading reports that various players have decided not to sign for us because they (or more likely their wife) don't want to move so far away from 'home' or have been offered a better deal elsewhere.

So, why on earth are players agreeing to sign for us (apparently so quickly and easily) this year? We're clearly a club in crisis, and any potential signing will know that our current players haven't received a full pay packet since last year.

I just don't get it.

Yes, I know that there are hundreds of players out of contract, all looking for a new club. But really, why appear to jump so quickly at an offer from us?

Of course, I'm not complaining that we are signing players, but there is a little niggle of a worry about how we are managing to do it. No player is going to sign for us out of sentiment or altruism. For most, it is simply going to be about money. And, supposedly, right now we don't have any (and probably won't for the foreseeable future).

Perhaps it's just The Riddler's track record that makes me worry that things can never be taken at face value.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Because they are desperate, because we're a big club for the league we are in, and because they have recieved assurances that everything will be sorted out dreckly. Also because our current management doesnt' constantly talk the place down and man about how hard it is to get palyers to travel down here.

Whether those assurances are worth anything i dont know. I just hope that we can keep things together, what Isaw on wednesday was very encouraging.

Apr 27, 2009
GibGreen":sqazztvu said:
I wonder if a lot of it has to do with Peter Reid being the Manager?

I think you might be right, playing for a manager of Peter Reids calibre must be a draw for some players (especially the younger ones) Also the fact that we now have some decent training facilities in Marjon probably helps aswell.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Stonehouse Mike":vov9a616 said:
GibGreen":vov9a616 said:
I wonder if a lot of it has to do with Peter Reid being the Manager?

I think you might be right, playing for a manager of Peter Reids calibre must be a draw for some players (especially the younger ones) Also the fact that we now have some decent training facilities in Marjon probably helps aswell.
:iagree: We might be in League 2 but he's a big name in the game. His scouse charm can also work wonders.

P

Piran-Pilgrim

Well just been announced on OS that Anthony Elding WON'T be signing for Argyle seems we get players here they agree to sign then do a u turn

O

ogwellmike

Yes - I've been wondering the same. My guess as well is that Peter Reid is the main factor. He is a well known name and is well regarded in the football world. We are now in the market for Division Two level players and, despite the off-field trauma, we will perhaps be seen by them as having a lot going for us compared with most other Division Two clubs. Add to that our (relatively) good facilities and that players may see us as a likely escalator to the higher divisions.

Our previous experiences were perhaps because the higher division prime donnas got better offers elsewhere so didn't want to come to us anyway. Maybe our relative isolation was just an excuse.

R

rich

That's the problem with signing northerners... they feel homesick for Hot Pots, horizontal rain and such...

oh, and wondering if they might have to have their wages deferred as this "takeover" lumbers on and on...

Can't blame the lad. Bit of a blow as he seemed OK.

Jul 7, 2011
PIRAN-PILGRIM":w1hn7gzi said:
Well just been announced on OS that Anthony Elding WON'T be signing for Argyle seems we get players here they agree to sign then do a u turn
something went wrong in the medical same with dickson thats all :mrgreen:

Aug 10, 2006
have any signed yet i see elding has done a u turn cant blame him without this or whatever deal being done to buy the club we are missing out on players.sort it out ffs. if it is you heaney show us the money stop playing with us and wasting everybodys time.

Jul 7, 2011
loyal1970":2zj9f24e said:
have any signed yet i see elding has done a u turn cant blame him without this or whatever deal being done to buy the club we are missing out on players.sort it out ffs. if it is you heaney show us the money stop playing with us and wasting everybodys time.
not u turn medical reasons

Aug 10, 2006
tondog":zwks69ac said:
loyal1970":zwks69ac said:
not u turn medical reasons
official site U TURN not medical reasons from somebody who knows somebody.