Who do we want as our new Head Coach | Page 69 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Head Coach

Who do you want as the new Head Coach?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 85 19.1%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 51 11.4%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 74 16.6%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 55 12.3%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Someone else

Votes: 62 13.9%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 51 11.4%

• Total voters
Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
If the new manager was appointed this week to start after Saturday, but was in the stands watching...

Would this give the players a boost or put more pressure on them??

Interested in your thoughts ..

Last edited:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Will the new manager be sat in the stands v Hull?

Merged with the other thread about the new manager.

Oct 1, 2013
Selles or Ainsworth, and before Steve Evans loving Cobi and co start slagging Ainsworth off, his man management skills, affable character, league experience & exceptional knowledge would have seen us through this period about 2 weeks ago. Easily. The players would have loved him. What a job he did at Wycombe. Unlike many other managers who do a "great job" for 2 seasons maximum (oh wow...) he stuck at it at an unfavourable club, turned down jobs and made them a very very good league 1 side that even had a season in the championship, Unbelievable for what is essentially a lower league / non league side! He succeeded in keeping QPR up but then failed big time this season with a load of primadonna's not helping his position. Shocking attitutude from the players. Let's see what happens with Cifuentes and QPR next season....

Ainsworth is a "big project" kind of guy, as opposed to the likes of Schumacher, Lowe, Holloway, even Pulis. Couldn't care less long-term. I'd even throw Warnock in there, pasoti's favourite. These guys are just in it for themselves. The proof is there in history. Or is there more than meets the eye? Surely not a board issue for the umpteenth time!

However Ainsworth isn't liked amongst Argyle fans, because we could never ever get a goal up on his sides (apart from when were involved in some exhilarating matches, I remember the 3-3 draw) so once we conceded we couldn't break them down (familiar story) and they had dark arts up their black belts (although I maintain it's an overreaction by some fans.) So that's a good one crossed out all thanks to the fans oh and anyway he would have to relocate his rock band to the south west. Does the Cooperage still exist?
None of that addresses the fact that the main dislike for Ainsworth is a god-awful brand of football.

Reactions: Greenscombe
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
If the new manager was appointed this week to start after Saturday, but was in the stands watching...

Or it could just confirm in their minds that they want to leave in the summer regardless..... Something we don't want.....unless the board have pulled off some kind of miracle appointment.

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
I am certainly not saying they have or haven't... My days of knowing anything about Argyle are long gone!
I am just curious as I can't make my mind up if it would be a good or bad thing.
Part of me thinks it would incentivise the players, but I also think that surely an incentive is something we are absolutely not lacking right now!
Would it give a lift? 🤷

May 28, 2015
I am certainly not saying they have or haven't... My days of knowing anything about Argyle are long gone!
I am just curious as I can't make my mind up if it would be a good or bad thing.
Part of me thinks it would incentivise the players, but I also think that surely an incentive is something we are absolutely not lacking right now!
Would it give a lift? 🤷
If the players need any motivation about Saturday then they shouldn’t be playing for the club

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
If the players need any motivation about Saturday then they shouldn’t be playing for the club

It's not just motivation, it's about belief. Feeling like they're worth a million dollars and can score goals like they could before.

And they're probably motivated already, but they can always be MORE motivated.

Aug 22, 2006
None of that addresses the fact that the main dislike for Ainsworth is a god-awful brand of football.
Disagree, that's an urban myth. It was only god-awful in periods and especially when we always conceded first, because we never learnt our lessons...

Also the only time i've seen us play better football than his so called awful brand in the last 25 years is:
Bits under sturrock
Bits under Holloway
Bits under Lowe
Bits under Schuey

Grand total of about 4 years out of 25! In fact i'd argue it's only been brilliant for about 2 of those years. Even some of the league 1 title winning season last season for example... dreadfully lucky performances with a splash of genius from likes of Azaz, Mumba, Ennis and Whittaker. Proof in the pudding this season with Ipswich finishing where they are compared to us. Otherwise our brand of football for the other 20-21 years has been generally very poor. Shocking in fact.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Disagree, that's an urban myth. It was only god-awful in periods and especially when we always conceded first, because we never learnt our lessons...

Also the only time i've seen us play better football than his so called awful brand in the last 25 years is:
Bits under sturrock
Bits under Holloway
Bits under Lowe
Bits under Schuey

Grand total of about 4 years out of 25! In fact i'd argue it's only been brilliant for about 2 of those years. Even some of the league 1 title winning season last season for example... dreadfully lucky performances with a splash of genius from likes of Azaz, Mumba, Ennis and Whittaker. Proof in the pudding this season with Ipswich finishing where they are compared to us. Otherwise our brand of football for the other 20-21 years has been generally very poor. Shocking in fact.
I don't know where you've got this impression of Ainsworth's football from, but having been subjected to quite a bit of it I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is not an urban myth. I'd rather watch Carl Fletcher's Argyle than a Gareth Ainsworth side. Any day of the week.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
I have no idea whos i want as oir next.manager or who it will be. All i do know it will be exciting with lots names in and out of contentions.

The background staff at argyle will be doing the short list and due diligence even now so i expect things ro move quickly post end of the season.

Its a hard choice,
a new up and coming manager moving from a current job
Or
An experienced manager from another team

I personally would not want an experienced currently out of work manager.....unless it was klopp lol 🤣

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth

Bits under sturrock
Bits under Holloway
Bits under Lowe
Bits under Schuey

I’m partial to a bit of contrarianism, but I’m sorry, this is too far, Gareth Ainsworth’s football is honking.

Jul 16, 2021
I have no idea whos i want as oir next.manager or who it will be. All i do know it will be exciting with lots names in and out of contentions.

The background staff at argyle will be doing the short list and due diligence even now so i expect things ro move quickly post end of the season.

Its a hard choice,
a new up and coming manager moving from a current job
Or
An experienced manager from another team

I personally would not want an experienced currently out of work manager.....unless it was klopp lol 🤣
What about Paul Cook, he has a great track record throughout the leagues, winning the league with Wigan, Portsmouth & most recent with Chesterfield this season with a record amount of wins, he always spoke well of Argyle in the past, think he would be a great fit for us.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
What about Paul Cook, he has a great track record throughout the leagues, winning the league with Wigan, Portsmouth & most recent with Chesterfield this season with a record amount of wins, he always spoke well of Argyle in the past, think he would be a great fit for us.

I think he’d be a reasonable shout if we go down but I’d like to think we could do better if we stay up.