Wayne Rooney set to be appointed | Page 195 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wayne Rooney set to be appointed

Would you want Wayne Rooney as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 364 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 526 52.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 107 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
This is one we have no chance of getting for now but it's someone in maybe 2 years l like the club to be in a place, as long as they stay in the championship, to go after.

I think you ideally want someone to galvanise your club with the next level of professionism. You want somebody to lead the players, who has a strong mindset, but also has top flite experiences to fall back on from the managers he worked under. Somebody who is a leader & inspires those around him.

I believe that person is someone like James Milner. At this moment in time he still plays for Brighton. And whether he wants to go and coach / manage in the future is debatable. Yet l do believe its somebody like him, with his type of mentality that would be a great benefit to a club like ours. Could we persuade him at the start of his coaching career to come to a club like ours? Would he want to live in the westcountry? Maybe not. Yet l think this is the type of person, if we are going down the inexperienced coach route, that maybe ld like to see in the future, if possible.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
As predicted last week Liam Rosenior was never ever going to come to us. Not in a million years.
I am a poster of few posts (is that a proper sentence haha) but come on you lot are fairly intelligent people...

Schumacher left us to increase his salary AND to work with a club which had a far superior budget to ours. So why would Rosenior do the opposite??? Or most managers for that matter?
Why on earth would Rosenior take a pay cut AND go from Hull City to Argyle where we also have an inferior budget.

Why on earth does this basic bit of knowledge, shall we call it, end up completely sideswiping the fans?

MustardEagle

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
Apr 8, 2016
If we are after Thorrup, an interesting part of this would be when it would be announced with them still having two games to play this season. Add to the fact that currently he technically would not qualify for a work permit (36 months of experience in a good standard league - presumably top flights of most EU nations) by a few months (July). However, with there not being any scheduled matches for the Norwegian league between the end of May and July, he would surely be accepted for an automatic permit once their season has concluded.

The other foreign coaches mentioned that would require permits would all qualify (Eririk Horneland, Gaute Helstrup, Dick Schrueder, Luka Elsner).

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
If we are after Thorrup, an interesting part of this would be when it would be announced with them still having two games to play this season. Add to the fact that currently he technically would not qualify for a work permit (36 months of experience in a good standard league - presumably top flights of most EU nations) by a few months (July). However, with there not being any scheduled matches for the Norwegian league between the end of May and July, he would surely be accepted for an automatic permit once their season has concluded.

The other foreign coaches mentioned that would require permits would all qualify (Eririk Horneland, Gaute Helstrup, Dick Schrueder, Luka Elsner).
Out of these names I'd like Luka elsner

Reactions: argyleandy
Nov 18, 2011
The Viveash stuff is probably utter nonsense but I do wonder, if we did go for Barry then maybe someone like Viveash would be also brought in as assistant to lend some much needed experience? Also Viveash could get things going whilst Barry is still at the Euros.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The Viveash stuff is probably utter nonsense but I do wonder, if we did go for Barry then maybe someone like Viveash would be also brought in as assistant to lend some much needed experience? Also Viveash could get things going whilst Barry is still at the Euros.
"Get things going" how exactly? Tell me the football related something that the head coach could be doing in June in Plymouth that he couldn't be doing via Skype or Teams from Germany. Nothing much is going to happen now until July. Whoever is appointed any issues will be considered, there is no point in getting wound up over a perceived lack of progress.

Nov 18, 2011
"Get things going" how exactly? Tell me the football related something that the head coach could be doing in June in Plymouth that he couldn't be doing via Skype or Teams from Germany. Nothing much is going to happen now until July. Whoever is appointed any issues will be considered, there is no point in getting wound up over a perceived lack of progress.
Players won't be around but it may still be useful to have someone on site, for example with recruiting other coaching staff and allow Barry to focus fully on the Euros.

One of the main criticisms of Foster was the lack of coaching staff he brought in, maybe the board are making sure this doesn't happen again and they're all in place before the players come back..

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2008
As predicted last week Liam Rosenior was never ever going to come to us. Not in a million years.
I am a poster of few posts (is that a proper sentence haha) but come on you lot are fairly intelligent people...

Schumacher left us to increase his salary AND to work with a club which had a far superior budget to ours. So why would Rosenior do the opposite??? Or most managers for that matter?
Why on earth would Rosenior take a pay cut AND go from Hull City to Argyle where we also have an inferior budget.

Why on earth does this basic bit of knowledge, shall we call it, end up completely sideswiping the fans?
I guess the main reason, he's unemployed.

Big difference, SS was poached to become part of bigger set up and financial awards that go with it, LR had it and was sacked, going in opposite directions.

He may not want the Argyle position for many reasons, location, family etc, does not mean he will get the riches Hull seem to have again - risk on his part - but with former players having earned so much money anyway, not as much pressure to find another job.

Just another hurdle we have climb.

Oct 1, 2013

True... but he presumably wants a job somewhere and I cant imagine there will be a long list of clubs who can match his salary at Hull who would also want to hire him.

So the chances are that he will have to take a cut in his next job.
(Maybe not a cut as big as he would have to with Argyle - but you get my point)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

Surely because he was sacked, so it’s not the same as Schuey>Stoke. We weren’t poaching him from Hull.

I think it made a lot of sense and was realistic, it could be that it was purely a location issue.

Reactions: MustardEagle
Aug 8, 2014
I guess the main reason, he's unemployed.

Big difference, SS was poached to become part of bigger set up and financial awards that go with it, LR had it and was sacked, going in opposite directions.

He may not want the Argyle position for many reasons, location, family etc, does not mean he will get the riches Hull seem to have again - risk on his part - but with former players having earned so much money anyway, not as much pressure to find another job.

Just another hurdle we have climb.
Let's hope the investment comes in then ,as Simon deserves it! we can carry on with sound planning but ultimately we need money to be able to compete in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.