What a refreshing change! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What a refreshing change!

Nov 11, 2006
As Chesterfield are our opponents on Saturday and they seem to have strung a few good results together since their new manager came in, I was interested to see what their manager's approach is.

His first game in charge was a 0-1 defeat to Barnet - this is what he had to say:
"Performances like that won't be accepted. It's important the lads cop onto the fact that we're a big club in this division."
link

The next game the players respond by going out and hammering League 1 Harlepool 6-1 in the FA Cup

Next they narowly lose out to Bristol Rovers 3-2 away, and he had this to say:
"We think we're a big club in this league. Big clubs don't keep losing games."
link

They then go on to beat Oxford 2-1, and then high flying Cheltenham 4-1.

Next up us.

Oh for a manager with that mentality!

Sep 28, 2011
Cerbera":gtr350yp said:
Absolutely.

Why the flock can't Fletch just come out and say that his squad were bloody terrible and there's a hard day's graft ahead of them on Monday/tomorrow?
because he's lost the dressing room

Mar 12, 2008
Leeds
I wouldn't say it's because he's lost the dressing room, but instead that he's too close to the players. I may be old fashioned, but the most effective managers tend to keep their distance and let their assistant be best mates with the players.

Fletcher seems terrified of coming out after a game and upsetting the squad, which is why, in my opinion we're not improving.

Indeed, given the spin from the media department in recent days, it seems there is a fear of any kind of negativity around the club.

Feb 21, 2011
You think? maybe its because we havent played badly in most aspects, why slate them in public if they've played relatively well, the game i listened to on tuesday night the commentary team said we were unlucky not to get something out of the game, i dont know what he says in private but i would suggest its a lot different to what he says in the press.

Jan 16, 2005
The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Captains Log":1yldj1q2 said:
The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...The lads are working their socks off....we have been unlucky...
you forgot to say that we are not getting the rub of the green

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
BadBoy":3q3h2ayl said:
You think? maybe its because we havent played badly in most aspects, why slate them in public if they've played relatively well, the game i listened to on tuesday night the commentary team said we were unlucky not to get something out of the game, i dont know what he says in private but i would suggest its a lot different to what he says in the press.
7 games, 6 defeats and 1 draw and a meagre 4 goals scored.

Dumped out of the Cup in humiliating fashion by a team of part-timers.

Yes, we have played really well in these games and we really should have won 6 and drawn 1.

We don't mark players or clear our lines and the other team keeps scoring soft goals to beat us.

We create few chances and when we do, we cannot hit the proverbial barn door.

Out experienced Captain gets himself sent off when we are 1-down and the Manager can't wait to defend him and say how unlucky he was.

Keep telling yourself how unlucky we are like Fletcher does and you'll believe it too.

You make your own luck in sport, good and bad.

It's no coincicdence that the best teams have the most luck but it's the reverse for the worst teams.

Dec 7, 2006
Quintrell_Green":5qyx5gqh said:
Lowry's knowledge of Chesterfield's players' weaknesses should help CF's tactical discussions for the game.
What like 'just go out and enjoy yourselves, lads'? :cool: Tactical discussions and Fletcher go together like peaches and skin cream.

Dec 2, 2010
In similar vein a nice quote from Mariner, reflecting on a poor season for Toronto >

It was not a record which made Mariner proud or happy. He described the effect his team's record had on him to the Globe and Mail newspaper. "I'm quite a sociable person, but I just go back to my apartment downtown," he said.

"I don't really go out much because, as I've said before, I want to walk around the town with my head held high. I don't feel as though I can do that because I hate getting beat. I'm not used to getting beat."