Updated fans' information for security checks | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Updated fans' information for security checks

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
This whole situation is puzzling, and not one that the club has handled well in my opinion. The statement implies that these extra security checks were a surprise to Argyle, requiring the club's "investigation" to establish what was going on.

A relatively small customer-relations issue like this needs owning by the club, on the front foot with clear communication with the fan base.

That hasn't happened here. The statement raises more questions than it answers and leads to speculation, gossip and legitimate complaints on social media and elsewhere, almost all of which could have been avoided by the club.

My guess is that it was little more than a training exercise for the new stewards, making use of the small crowds at the pre-season friendlies. But who knows?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
This whole situation is puzzling, and not one that the club has handled well in my opinion. The statement implies that these extra security checks were a surprise to Argyle, requiring the club's "investigation" to establish what was going on.

A relatively small customer-relations issue like this needs owning by the club, on the front foot with clear communication with the fan base.

That hasn't happened here. The statement raises more questions than it answers and leads to speculation, gossip and legitimate complaints on social media and elsewhere, almost all of which could have been avoided by the club.

My guess is that it was little more than a training exercise for the new stewards, making use of the small crowds at the pre-season friendlies. But who knows?

Agree. The club could have owned this by stating before the pre-season games that a new security company are using new security checks so please bear with us.

By now asking fans to arrive early the club runs the risk of more people congregating in the concourse for a longer time period and the heightened danger of Covid infection.
I suppose the club can't win.

Strict searches, Covid and the threat of terrorism - it ain't easy being an Argyle fan.

Dec 30, 2011
I'm assuming Argyle were merely testing this out in a low-ish attendance pre-season game, just in case there is ever a real threat and a need to undertake security checks on entry.

Last edited:

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
I've been to both games and was treated differently at both. There was a more thorough search done at the Swansea game. The Boro game had hardly any search at all. Let's see what happens tonight...

Dec 30, 2010
The stewards at the cup match a few seasons ago at Liverpool were superb, checking fans with good humour and courtesy. The charmless nerks at home park could learn a lot about them and maybe introduce a new idea, customer service.

Sep 13, 2003
My email to the club:
I was at the pre season game against middlesborough and was dismayed at the treatment of fans. As you know stewards have no legal right to make a search- is this now a condition of entry to home park ? If it is you should be honest and tell people. So much for fan focused.
To justify this heavy handed tactic you then refer to the ‘counter terrorism’ unit. ! When has there been ever been a terrorist incident west of Bristol? Ever ? Are you saying you see a threat of terrorism at an Argyle pre season friendly ? Or just those in the lyndhurst or devonport end ? What a joke. This represents a very depressing turn of events , and is not what our club used to be about. Please reflect as this is the first impression people get.

Only one I can think of was this one, suspect was from Plymouth, had mental health issues and was radicalised online.

Sep 13, 2003
I think after the fiasco that was Wembley stadium last month, it will be quite refreshing to see a football match with proper security!
I for one don't mind having to queue up for an extra 5mins if it means nobody gets in with any of those bloody flares!

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
No checks at the Mayflower again. While having a burger before coming through, a steward walked past towards the Lyndhurst and I would swear he was off his head on pharmaceuticals. Not a good look.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Walked straight into a turnstile in Lyndhurst, no checks, then yapping security guards spotted me. I’d just walked passed them. My ticket was already scanned, and security guy tried to get me to leave, I asked how I’d get in again with a ticket already used.
Anyway I’m in.

Gonna be an absolute shambles on first real match of the season.

Reactions: ealinggreen
May 17, 2012
The club takes its commitment to supporter security extremely seriously. Forming part of the requirements of our new risk-based safety certificate, and work with the Counter Terrorism Unit, the club has implemented enhanced security measures, with the safety of all fans, guests, and officials at Home Park at the centre of our thinking. As such, we ask supporters to note the following points.”

Clearly, the club might have received intelligence reports that terrorists are attempting to enter the Lyndhurst Stand on match days. Lyndhurst supporters might have to get used to emptying their pockets and having the contents of their wallets examined, if it keeps everyone safe. It is a small price to pay to keep everyone safe - a terrorist attack from within the Lyndhurst Stand during a match could effect other Stands as well. It’s better safe than sorry.
you really believe this ?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Mixed reports from fans for the Bristol game, although the system is improving. Some walked in with no checks, some just had the scanner used on them while one fan had to open his flask to prove it was coffee inside.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
last night i went to the same turnstiles again as I used previously. The two security lads on either turnstile didn't have a table to lay stuff out on, and I took the things out of my pockets to show him, including my GT spray, which i always carry with me now. The young lad was unsure of what it was (unlike the steward last friday) but when i explained what it was and showed him my "zip" on my chest, he understood and used his magic wand to check the rest of me!

Reactions: ealinggreen

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
There was one problem with a turnstile operator though, who was scanning the wrong QR code on a printed out ticket, despite my junior DRF member explaining to him which code he should be scanning! Fortunately we got it sorted that his ticket WAS valid and he got let in,

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
While I am still not sure about the communication by the club yet, my experience last night suggests some lessons have been learnt. Last Tuesday I was in the Lyndie and had to take everything out of my pocket, including my wallet, and put it on a table. Last night I was in the Demport, and there was a line for women and a line for men. I did not have to take everything out of my pockets, which if this is about terrorism surprised me. My phone pinged the wand, and I was asked if that was my phone, I said yes and started to take it out to be told that was okay.
In both instances the stewards were perfectly polite and welcoming, asking if it was good to be back, looking forward to the game etc. I welcome this human interaction, and long may it continue.

So from my own personal interaction logistics are getting better, but the first home game will be the real test.

I am still not sure about messaging from the club, i.e. why it is happening. I am perfectly cool with what they are doing and they are improving the processes, but there is a question mark on the messaging. I think the club has been exemplary in the past two years in its communication, but this feels one of the rare instances where they have not got it fully right yet.

Reactions: FourMarkGreen
Feb 8, 2005
While I am still not sure about the communication by the club yet, my experience last night suggests some lessons have been learnt. Last Tuesday I was in the Lyndie and had to take everything out of my pocket, including my wallet, and put it on a table. Last night I was in the Demport, and there was a line for women and a line for men. I did not have to take everything out of my pockets, which if this is about terrorism surprised me. My phone pinged the wand, and I was asked if that was my phone, I said yes and started to take it out to be told that was okay.
In both instances the stewards were perfectly polite and welcoming, asking if it was good to be back, looking forward to the game etc. I welcome this human interaction, and long may it continue.

So from my own personal interaction logistics are getting better, but the first home game will be the real test.

I am still not sure about messaging from the club, i.e. why it is happening. I am perfectly cool with what they are doing and they are improving the processes, but there is a question mark on the messaging. I think the club has been exemplary in the past two years in its communication, but this feels one of the rare instances where they have not got it fully right yet.
May not have anything to do with the club. The security firm may be testing their capacity to deal with the security side of things. It may be training for some of them. The Club may not be aware of the circumstances, and do they really need to know?