TV pundits. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

TV pundits.

May 22, 2006
There are a wide range of pundits and co commentators at the Euros. Interested to know who others like to listen to, and those that they don’t. So far I would go with:

Good:
Ally McCoist - usually funny but fair ( might change on Friday).
Lee Dixon - seems to have good tactical insight despite never being a manager

Poor:
John Hartson - seemed to think the score was a fair reflection of the game when 0-0; 1-0: 2-0;3-0 for Hungary v Portugal, despite it changing within about 10 mins.
Robbie Savage - just annoying and childish.

Also don’t really see the point of Peter Walton agreeing with every referee decision no matter what.

Views?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pastiesforlife":1yl0xqwt said:
There are a wide range of pundits and co commentators at the Euros. Interested to know who others like to listen to, and those that they don’t. So far I would go with:

Good:
Ally McCoist - usually funny but fair ( might change on Friday).
Lee Dixon - seems to have good tactical insight despite never being a manager

Poor:
John Hartson - seemed to think the score was a fair reflection of the game when 0-0; 1-0: 2-0;3-0 for Hungary v Portugal, despite it changing within about 10 mins.
Robbie Savage - just annoying and childish.

Also don’t really see the point of Peter Walton agreeing with every referee decision no matter what.

Views?

Peter Walton is there to explain why the officials have come to decisions not to slaughter them. Even if they call it wrong, it's informative to know why they might have called it wrong.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I cannot listen to Clive Tyldsley. Cliche after cliche.

May 22, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":1gsks30l said:
Peter Walton is there to explain why the officials have come to decisions not to slaughter them. Even if they call it wrong, it's informative to know why they might have called it wrong.

That’s a different topic. The referee is the official of the match and makes decisions. Analysis is superfluous as the decision has been made. Just accept it and get on with it. If it’s wrong, too bad as long as it was an honest mistake (e.g. even Lampard’s goal v Germany). VAR is killing the Premier League due to the constant referrals and questioning decisions. It breaks up the game and becomes more akin to NFL. The use of VAR has been much less in this tournament, and has allowed a couple of possible off side goals e.g. Ronaldo’s. The Euros have been so much better for using VAR on very few occasions.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I really don't understand how some of the pundits get the job, especially the newer ones. They offer nothing except stating the bleeding obvious.

Gary Neville is good, as always, as is Martin Keown.

Commentator Clive 'ran into traffic' Tyldesley is the worst ever, thankfully ITV recently dropped him as their main commentator but he turns up in tournaments like this.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Emma Hayes, yes that's right a female :) was very good as co commentator on Poland v Slovakia game well during 2nd half at least I missed first half.

Actually offered tactical insight on the game.

Not sure if ITV will promote her to some more glamorous games as competition progresses.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I definitely agree with comments about Tyldesley, Savage and Hartson who all need to be shown the red card imho. I spoke we should be thankful we don’t have that idiot Chris Waddle and the thinking man’s amoeba Phil Neville assaulting our ears this time round. :think:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I just can't stand ITV's coverage. It's awful, partly because of the continuous ad breaks and partly becuase of the pundits and partly because of the commentary. Truly dreadful all round.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
monkeywrench":2fstaoqy said:
I just can't stand ITV's coverage. It's awful, partly because of the continuous ad breaks and partly becuase of the pundits and partly because of the commentary. Truly dreadful all round.

Yep, it all comes across as amateur, unfortunately ITV are covering the England v Scotland game tonight.

Sep 25, 2010
I thought Tyldesley was bad, but Matterface is about as pathetic as you can get.

If he said, ‘hold onto your seats’, once last night, he said it numerous times,
And don’t start me on Ian Wright, totally awful.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I like Graeme Souness as a pundit, always have, but the best TV pundit by far is Roy Keane because he always says exactly what he thinks.

Apr 1, 2009
The Doctor":3qowncxw said:
I like Graeme Souness as a pundit, always have, but the best TV pundit by far is Roy Keane because he always says exactly what he thinks.

Disagree. Keane is acting out a role - particularly when in Mr Angry mode.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I have to admit, the female pundit co-commentating the AUT-UKR game (Emma ?) is pretty good with some insightful, measured contributions. Quite a pleasant surprise. :thumbup:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Emeraldinho":10ghierz said:
I have to admit, the female pundit co-commentating the AUT-UKR game (Emma ?) is pretty good with some insightful, measured contributions. Quite a pleasant surprise. :thumbup:

See my post earlier in thread. Emma Hayes very good.