Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat)

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
No, but there was a clear change of direction when Peter Jones decided to implement some 21st century marketing principles, which subsequent owners have opted to stick with.

And I would disagree that we had an Argyle green in the period you refer to. The kits in the 90s, for example, varied quite a lot in terms of what shade of green we used. The only difference was that the shades we used were lighter.

And Ryan Lowe doesn't have an opinion on whether our shade of green looks nice - he was asked whether the current shirts make it difficult for his players to pick each other out and he rebuffed the question categorically. So on that subject I'm afraid his expert opinion does in fact trump yours.

Anyway, I'll leave you chaps to it. I can hardly describe a subject as tedious and then continue to debate it!
Well you've done well so far Woodsy!! 👍

and on Ryan Lowe: we were talking about two different things, as you well know, you naughty boy!!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
No, but there was a clear change of direction when Peter Jones decided to implement some 21st century marketing principles, which subsequent owners have opted to stick with.

And I would disagree that we had an Argyle green in the period you refer to. The kits in the 90s, for example, varied quite a lot in terms of what shade of green we used. The only difference was that the shades we used were lighter.

And Ryan Lowe doesn't have an opinion on whether our shade of green looks nice - he was asked whether the current shirts make it difficult for his players to pick each other out and he rebuffed the question categorically. So on that subject I'm afraid his expert opinion does in fact trump yours.

Anyway, I'll leave you chaps to it. I can hardly describe a subject as tedious and then continue to debate it!

How many marketing decisons last 20 years?

I don't have a problem with that decision at all, it makes sense to have something a bit different for a couple of seasons and it looked classy at the time... TWENTY YEARS later though :ROFLMAO:

It's time for a change. To be unable to obviously tell we are playing in green from a distance (unless I'm unknowingly colour blind or have shocking eyesight that's a near-objective fact) is a bit ridiculous, isn't it?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2011
How many marketing decisons last 20 years?

I don't have a problem with that decision at all, it makes sense to have something a bit different for a couple of seasons and it looked classy at the time... TWENTY YEARS later though :ROFLMAO:

It's time for a change. To be unable to obviously tell we are playing in green from a distance (unless I'm unknowingly colour blind or have shocking eyesight that's a near-objective fact) is a bit ridiculous, isn't it?
agreed - lets go back to an obvious green, not the current greenish shade of dark grey

Reactions: saxman

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Where's the kit design Photoshop guy?
I've just had an image pop into my head, apropos of nothing, of a light green shirt with a thick, dark green sash of the Peru variety

Aug 5, 2016
I really don't understand why all supporters seemed perfectly happy for 19 out of these previous 20 years, and now the same 5 posters keep going on and on about it - like some sort of organised pressure group.

You don't like the shade of green. Noted.

As for other clubs, as Woodsy has said - who are these clubs that keep changing the shade of their home colour? I can't think of any.

Reactions: smudja

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I really don't understand why all supporters seemed perfectly happy for 19 out of these previous 20 years, and now the same 5 posters keep going on and on about it - like some sort of organised pressure group.

You don't like the shade of green. Noted.

As for other clubs, as Woodsy has said - who are these clubs that keep changing the shade of their home colour? I can't think of any.
I haven't liked the dark green for the past 20 years if that helps you.
I keep going on and on about it because I don't like it if that helps you.
My point was the same as Woodsy though he seems to have ignored his own point. Arsenal, Celtic and many other clubs have kept their traditional colour for many years. I think we should have done the same, if that helps you.

Aug 5, 2016
I haven't liked the dark green for the past 20 years if that helps you.
I keep going on and on about it because I don't like it if that helps you.
My point was the same as Woodsy though he seems to have ignored his own point. Arsenal, Celtic and many other clubs have kept their traditional colour for many years. I think we should have done the same, if that helps you.
Can you point me to any of the multiple threads where you expressed these thoughts hundreds of times in the previous 19 seasons then?
I don't remember anyone really caring that the shade was changed, when it was changed. Or caring enough to whinge about it 3 seasons ago, 2 seasons ago, or 1 season ago.
Now 20 years on suddenly it is a massive issue dear to your hearts and it feels like we have a new thread every 3 weeks to discuss it.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
To me, the argument about being camouflaged during evening games is a fair one. Certainly, on several occasions we have passed, seemingly, to 'no one' in front of the grandstand, only to find Joe on the touchline.
But if we can't see our players, neither can the opposition.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

images

images

images

If you can think of a more relevant club to compare to, I'd like to see it.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Can you point me to any of the multiple threads where you expressed these thoughts hundreds of times in the previous 19 seasons then?
I don't remember anyone really caring that the shade was changed, when it was changed. Or caring enough to whinge about it 3 seasons ago, 2 seasons ago, or 1 season ago.
Now 20 years on suddenly it is a massive issue dear to your hearts and it feels like we have a new thread every 3 weeks to discuss it.

Look Knibbs old chap. I can actually have a point of view without posting it on pasoti. Do you honestly believe an issue is only relevant if you've said it multiple times publicly? Similarly if no one backs me up my opinion is invalidated?

Argyle has been dear to my heart practically all my life.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
Just for a bit of fun - as Jon Snow used to say - I had a look back at some dark shirt/light shirt statistics this afternoon, in an attempt to compare like for like.

I therefore looked at our last 7 promotion-winning teams to see if wearing dark or light green at night helped or hindered what was otherwise a winning team.

Our two most-recent promotion-winning teams (dark shirts) had a Tuesday night home league record of P8 W2 D2 L4... so a lot worse than for afternoon kick-offs.

But the three promotion-winning teams (dark shirts) before them had a Tuesday night home league record of P14 W13 D0 L1... very much better than for afternoon kick-offs.

The two light-shirted promotion-winning teams had a Tuesday night home league record of P11 W9 D0 L2.

Obviously there are a lot of other parameters that come into play, most notably the run of form we were in when we played the majority of our evening games. (For example, who can forget our 85/86 promotion run which included a bunch of rearranged evening games when we were on fire against teams with nothing left to play for.)

But by and large, wearing dark green shirts would not appear to have hampered winning teams, even in the old days under less powerful lights.

I think there is a simple confirmation bias when it comes to assessing how well we play under lights in dark green: those who like light green say it matters and those who like dark green say it doesn't.

And to prove there is confirmation bias... my findings say it makes no difference, and I like the dark green ;)

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Not wishing to continue this tedious thread and be labelled as one of the Gang of Five ‘Anti-Darks’ (I think I’m in that group anyway to be honest), but…

Surely it’s the non-promotion winning teams that are the ones to look at, or at least to look as as well. Any promotion winning team is bound to be a better on average than the opposition and so any negative impact of shirt colour would have less impact, ie it would turn a great team into a good one (still a winning one). Whereas, for non-promotion winning teams that may be just a little above average, average or below average compared to the opposition, any effect would turn good into average, average into poor or poor into rubbish and so have a potentially much bigger impact on results.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think there is a simple confirmation bias when it comes to assessing how well we play under lights in dark green: those who like light green say it matters and those who like dark green say it doesn't.

And to prove there is confirmation bias... my findings say it makes no difference, and I like the dark green ;)

Very happy to admit this is probably the case for me, and even happier to admit I must be boring everyone to tears with these posts :ROFLMAO:

It's very hard not to think there's at least a slight issue though, when you look at the pics that several people have posted of the dark shirts against the dark stands.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think the dark shirt and dark green IS classier than the really light green of National Provincial/Beacon years. I also like the dark green of Home Park, that really does look smarter than a lighter green would look.

But no one can tell me the Hibs shirts of the 70s, Green Hooped shirts of the mid 60s were not the best 'Argyle green' of the lot. But that's just an opinion.

I do wonder though why we don'y have a very light 'white' strip for a home strip next season, which obviously has green in it, and perhaps a darker green strip for the away one. Just for a change and a nod to previous years.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It was suggested on here that RL be asked at Senior Greens. He was asked and didn‘t seem particularly interested.
He was asked if any of the players had commented and he said that they had not.
Posty posted some stats on page 1 of this thread showing that, since 2011, we had played 40, won 13, drawn 13 and lost 14. I assume that they were all home matches.
Perhaps, the data analysts should, at least, look into this trend of less than 1/3rd of home wins in that time.
Bolton next.