Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat)

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Over the last couple of days, the i newspaper has run a series of pieces about colour-blindness and sports kits. There had been particular emphasis on rugby because World Rugby has made a series of recommendations to alleviate the problems caused by colour-blindness but there have been a few mentions of football and today there is a small side-piece that mentions Argyle. Clearly our green kit DOES create issues for some players and so it obviously will also create problems for fans (1 in 12 men have colour-blindness). With rugby starting to take action it is probably only a matter of time before football follows - quite where that will leave a team that plays in green remains to be seen…9287AC88-4F3E-4530-970E-7BC2042671B9.jpeg

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Only when playing against teams in red though... which admittedly is quite a lot in football.

But if we're playing at home, we can play in green as normal and the red side has to change. So don't think it would affect us much?

Also, not knowing much about colour blindness but I wonder if it's significant that he said DARK green and that's worse than normal green?

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
And yet the other week, Crewe turned up and played in their home kit which is red rather than their away kit which is black or their third kit which is white.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Agree 100% wear something light at night and be seen as the old saying use to be when referring to preventing
road accidents to cyclists and pedestrians.

My thoughts on this are , if we are to continue to have such a dull and drab green home strip every year can we not incorporate some fluoro threads or panels that would stand out under lights.Maybe just numbers on shorts and shirts would suffice.

Aug 5, 2016
My thoughts on this are , if we are to continue to have such a dull and drab green home strip every year can we not incorporate some fluoro threads or panels that would stand out under lights.Maybe just numbers on shorts and shirts would suffice.
No, Argyle green is a brand.
Look at the seats.
How many different shades of green do you see in there?
None except one. The shade of Argyle green!!

Last edited:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Only when playing against teams in red though... which admittedly is quite a lot in football.

But if we're playing at home, we can play in green as normal and the red side has to change. So don't think it would affect us much?

Also, not knowing much about colour blindness but I wonder if it's significante that he said DARK green and that's worse than normal green?
I don’t get this - I’m red green colour blind myself. I’ve never had an issue distinguishing between the two teams when we play someone in red.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
No, Argyle green is a brand.
Look at the seats.
How many different shades of green do you see in there?
None except one. The shade of Argyle green!!

Ah, the old rule that football shirts have to exactly match the shade of the seats.

NO other club sticks this rigidly to a particular shade :ROFLMAO:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
When I started watching Argyle, Argyle Green was a green colour not faux black.
I see absolutely no link between the colour of the seats and the colour of the team's shirts.
I assume that seat manufacturers prefer darker shades as their product is out in plein air 24/7/365 and a darker colour may not fade so quickly or become brittle so quickly. I see absolutely no link between the commercial needs of a seat manufacturer and the colour of a team's shirts. I get the point that it 'fits' to have green seats and a green themed stadium tho'.

'Brand'?: who introduced a 'brand' and when ... and why?? I don't remember any debate, any discussion, any choices or options.

I have watched Argyle for approaching 60 years, I had no input into my club's brand, why does a fly-by-night employee, with respect, here today, gone tomorrow (Copyright Robin Day), only around my club for 5 minutes in geological terms, why does that person get to impose a brand that is inviolate and can't be changed or varied ever again? Where does that person get that brief from?
Not from me to be sure.

Reactions: kernow19 and Biggs
Jun 27, 2019
Ah, the old rule that football shirts have to exactly match the shade of the seats.

NO other club sticks this rigidly to a particular shade :ROFLMAO:
So Portsmouth routinely change their shade of blue do they? Nope, they stick with a shade that closely matches the seats at Fratton Park (what a coincidence!).

Celtic stick with a very similar shade of green which matches the seats at Celtic Park.

Arsenal's red matches the seats at the Emirates.

I could go on and on, but football clubs do tend to stick with a certain shade of their main club colour for both their shirts, their seats and their club branding.

Which is precisely what Argyle have done for the past 20 years.

Reactions: Knibbsworth

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I could go on and on, but football clubs do tend to stick with a certain shade of their main club colour for both their shirts, their seats and their club branding.

They don't. Especially not famous clubs who play in green, the rarity of which mean they can exploit the full range of the colour and build their green 'brand' whether that's Les Verts or Green Army.

images

images

images

Reactions: saxman

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
So Portsmouth routinely change their shade of blue do they? Nope, they stick with a shade that closely matches the seats at Fratton Park (what a coincidence!).

Celtic stick with a very similar shade of green which matches the seats at Celtic Park.

Arsenal's red matches the seats at the Emirates.

Which is precisely what Argyle have done for the past 20 years.
So Portsmouth, Celtic and Arsenal all changed the colour of their shirts 20 years ago?
Argyle had what I would call Argyle green shirts from post-war to 1999, over 50 years.
I don't accept either that our current Manager's opinion trumps mine. I was here before him and I'll be here after he has gone.

Jun 27, 2019
So Portsmouth, Celtic and Arsenal all changed the colour of their shirts 20 years ago?
Argyle had what I would call Argyle green shirts from post-war to 1999, over 50 years.
I don't accept either that our current Manager's opinion trumps mine. I was here before him and I'll be here after he has gone.
No, but there was a clear change of direction when Peter Jones decided to implement some 21st century marketing principles, which subsequent owners have opted to stick with.

And I would disagree that we had an Argyle green in the period you refer to. The kits in the 90s, for example, varied quite a lot in terms of what shade of green we used. The only difference was that the shades we used were lighter.

And Ryan Lowe doesn't have an opinion on whether our shade of green looks nice - he was asked whether the current shirts make it difficult for his players to pick each other out and he rebuffed the question categorically. So on that subject I'm afraid his expert opinion does in fact trump yours.

Anyway, I'll leave you chaps to it. I can hardly describe a subject as tedious and then continue to debate it!