Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Tuesday night games (incl dark shirt chat)

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Its a mystery how New Zealand rugby team have ever completed a pass in the regular floodlit games they play.
I'm no rugby aficionado but I understand they play in a dark kit and are relatively successful?

May 22, 2006
Said before, as the only team in the league to wear green, we don’t really need a second, let alone third kit. Using the white kit for evening games would, however, make perfect sense.

Wasn’t keen on the Crewe red kit either. Looked like the seagulls had been using it for target practice.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Its a mystery how New Zealand rugby team have ever completed a pass in the regular floodlit games they play.
I'm no rugby aficionado but I understand they play in a dark kit and are relatively successful?
I'd just say that the presence of counter-examples does not preclude there being something in this. Also, there are differences between the two sports. There is a lot more structure to a lot of play in rugby and most passing is at relatively close range so being able to quickly pick out the movement of teammates at some distance and in your peripheral vision MAY not be so important in rugby. There are surely enough people here indicating that they have problems picking out players against the surroundings both live and on screen to suggest that this is not something that simply be dismissed out of hand because some other people don't think it is relevant.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
A brighter green home shirt isn't possible, as marketing decisions 20 years ago are irreversible and football clubs can't slightly change the shades of their shirts each season (y)

:rolleyes::sneaky:
Correct me if i am wrong,but don't our shirt colour change slightly every season when new kits are out?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

To be fair, they wear black shirts because they're called the All Blacks.

What's our excuse?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I'd just say that the presence of counter-examples does not preclude there being something in this. Also, there are differences between the two sports. There is a lot more structure to a lot of play in rugby and most passing is at relatively close range so being able to quickly pick out the movement of teammates at some distance and in your peripheral vision MAY not be so important in rugby. There are surely enough people here indicating that they have problems picking out players against the surroundings both live and on screen to suggest that this is not something that simply be dismissed out of hand because some other people don't think it is relevant.
Well. Our passing accuracy was measured at 83% to Crewe's 74% last night.
That's one way we can keep some empirical evidence...I'll see what we clock in future floodlit games both in green, and away in white

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Why not wear white shorts for darker days and nights?
When the teams were coming onto the pitch at the start, Argyle players were hardly noticeable compared to Crewe with white shorts, also,our dark shirts do not help either.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
That's one way we can keep some empirical evidence...I'll see what we clock in future floodlit games both in green, and away in white
Well obviously it is possible that the shirt colour is a complete non-factor - I'll happily accept that (I just don't THINK that this is the case at the moment).

As for the stats from last night, perhaps we were simply better than Crewe or perhaps we would have had an even better % accuracy if we'd been wearing white. Obviously, it really needs a lot more data to prove/disprove anything and that data would have to be controlled for the relative ability of the two teams involved and the natural bias of results towards the home team (if that is a thing) etc. So even if Argyle don't do better in evening games away from home when wearing white than in home games wearing green it wouldn't necessarily prove that shirt colour wasn't an issue unless there was also sufficient data of evening away results when wearing green against similarly matched opposition. I suspect that this isn't something that could ever be proved/disproved with statistics because there simply won't be enough data.

[As an aside - one of my colleagues once did some analysis of 1000s of league football results and proved statistically that teams wearing red shirts are more successful than those wearing other colours. He is a Portsmouth fan (although also supports Argyle) so there was no bias there. But I guess that result might be biased by the fact that three of the most successful teams in the top division of league football in the last 40 years wear red (Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd). I can't remember how sophisticated their data analysis was and what factors it controlled for. I'm pretty sure it covered all four divisions.]

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

Maybe it would be 90% if we were in brighter green. Or perhaps it's a high figure because we weren't making split-second incisive passes and were playing it safe instead. Or Crewe only had 74% because they were largely defending and clearing the ball.

That stat doesn't necessarily mean that much.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knibbsworth. All this nonsense re shirts. Did we play better on Saturday? That would have been 1.1 also if the keeper hadn't dropped an easy catch. Against a team who lost 6.0 last night which puts our attacking efforts into perspective.
I posted a personal opinion which others seemed to think was worth considering. I know that you enjoy trying to embarrass people but I certainly wasn’t ‘whooshed’.
Perhaps, you were.

Aug 5, 2015
Actually I think BG is on to something. Make white plastic raincoats out of the seats that are being recycled and issue them free to the crowd. That way we can continue in our traditional “ green” which would then stand out against the crowd. I don’t know where he gets it from!

• Haha
Reactions: leeroy221

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Actually I think BG is on to something. Make white plastic raincoats out of the seats that are being recycled and issue them free to the crowd. That way we can continue in our traditional “ green” which would then stand out against the crowd. I don’t know where he gets it from!
This was, in effect, the solution employed by Manchester United last season, but it was much easier to implement because it was just banners and not people that had to have their colouring changed.